Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag release

Default Mag release

Is there an extended or oversized mag release for KAHR pistols?

I've never seen one although I recall somebody building up the factory one. Don't recall exactly how it was done. Drilled and tapped or something. Might be an old thread about it around here someplace.
    Have to look around and see if I can find it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bawanna, great minds think alike. I’m pondering the idea of the drill and tap method. A nice button head screw comes to mind. It can be filled and finished or maybe stainless. A 1911 grip screw. Drill add a pin then form with JB Weld and finish. A nice add on paddle like on the CZ comp. pistols come to mind. I may add one of those to the 97.

That paddle on the competition sticks out quite a bit...……….talking custom holster?????? From my view it looks like the paddle is too large and in the way of your grip. Looks quite grip specific. I've always preferred H&K's paddle release myself. They can keep the buttons. Pushing down is more natural than pushing in IMHO...……………………………..I would think that a small tack from a welder, then grind, smooth, drill, tap. Lot's of work in a small area. Maybe someone we know here on the forum may want to investigate extended releases???????????????????

Yes that CZ paddle seams large. Never held one just see the pictures. LOK has G10 paddles and assume can be cut down. The CZ97 grip reach is very long. Impossible to hit the button without changing ones grip in a big way. It’s on the to do list with many other projects. An extended release would help but the grip still needs to be changed to activate. Maybe I can find a thumb extension.

I've found that most mag release extensions provide mixed results. We tried extensions on the dept Glock 21's. Everybody wanted one and then within a month or so most wanted them switched back.
    Using the paddle part put them in a bind. They were nice because of the big button to hit but the extension part didn't work well.
    Might be better on a steal frame maybe.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have medium size hands and almost always have to shift my grip or use my off hand to work a magazine release located near the rear of the trigger guard.

I had a CZ Shadow 2 which comes with an extended magazine release and did not feel the mag release interfered with my grip.
    It only requires a "custom" holster in the sense that it needs a holster designed for it, much like any other pistol. ...say like my HK USP 45 which has a paddle magazine release.

I can take or leave the HK paddle as done on the USP. I gets in the way of the middle finger of my grip hand and absolutely requires that I shift my grip to release the magazine (middle finger prevents the release from operating). On the other hand it does pretty much ensure I'll not unintentionally drop the magazine while firing the gun.
    The paddles on the P30 are, IMO, a better design, but my middle finger can still interfere with the release if I don't shift my hand.

I'm not a fan of extended magazine releases on carry guns, especially those carried IWB.
    YMMV.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I think that most shooters do have to do some shifting to work mag releases. I use the USP.45C paddles on my P2SK. I like the fact that they are ambidextrous, large, and my middle finger sits right below them. I can use the index finger of my grip hand to release the mag without having to regrip. I can also use my thumb. They function well for me. Much more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I think that most shooters do have to do some shifting to work mag releases. I use the USP.45C paddles on my P2SK. I like the fact that they are ambidextrous, large, and my middle finger sits right below them. I can use the index finger of my grip hand to release the mag without having to regrip. I can also use my thumb. They function well for me. Much more natural.
    As you say the paddles are large, I take it you are using the extended release.
    I also use my trigger finger to operate the release and agree that it feels is pretty good, but I do have to ship my grip a bit. Using the thumb is an entirely different story. I have to shift the gun quite a bit to operate the release and I have to use two hands or flip the gun to accomplish it.
    The P30L is a bit more manageable in both aspects. It's been awhile since I've had the USP 45C or 9mm USP out of the safe, so I don't remember which camp they fall into.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Yes, the extended release. Enough of an extension that a kydex holster I had made had to be custom because of it. The P30 is one of the firearms the wife tried years back when we were firearm shopping. She said it was in the top three best feeling grips that she fondled as far as comfort/grip goes. I had to agree. The P30 does have a nicer mag release design as far as how it fits in to the frame. Using the extended release and the smallest grip back strap works much better for me than any round push mag release I've owned.