Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchased new P380 but...

Default Purchased new P380 but...

Hello all!

New in box but the serial number is RD 2xxx. Kind of odd for a gun sitting that long. Like 6 years, no? Something doesn't seem right.

Any issues know with this serial number range? I haven't fired it yet and won't until Tuesday.

I have a RD9xxx that I bought in 2015. It went through multiple broken strikers before Lakeline came out with their's. If anything, the extractor chain has been improved by some contouring of the bottom edge of the extractor and tension reduced by reducing the length of the rear pin. If you have feeding problems, I'd get an RMA and send it off the Kahr. You can easily reduce the length of the rear pin with a file/stone.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Thanks, topgun.
    This is what I was afraid of.
    I'll try to put 150-200 rounds through it Tuesday and see how it goes. I know of the break in period of 200 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Hello all!

New in box but the serial number is RD 2xxx. Kind of odd for a gun sitting that long. Like 6 years, no? Something doesn't seem right.

Any issues know with this serial number range? I haven't fired it yet and won't until Tuesday.

I purchased RD02xx in March of 2013, so 2014 seems reasonable for RD2xxx. Old NIB pistols show up all the time; I would not worry about it other than the striker.

The original striker in my P380 broke at about 250-300 rounds. The second striker (installed by Kahr) broke at about 150-200 rounds. The third Kahr striker (purchased from Kahr and installed by me) only had about 100 rounds before I replaced it with a Lakeline part in 2018. I only have about 200 rounds on the Lakeline striker in the last two years, but I have never heard of a Lakeline striker failing.

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Hello all!

There's a reason why it sat...……………………………….when I go firearm shopping, I usually have a particular firearm in mind. I usually write down serial number progressions in case I come across something, I can get an idea of it's age.

I'm not sure it's uncommon for a new gun to sit for that long, one reason we usually get them dripping in oil. They can sit at a distributor or a dealer back room.
    I very local local shop that closed a few years ago had thousands of guns, several buildings, didn't look all that large but they had everything and had been in business over 50 years.

They found Single Action Colts (new in box) in the basement they didn't even know they had.

They did everything on paper, inventory didn't really get to the computer age which was good but lost track of stuff.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The Ruger SR9 I bought in November was produced in 2017 according to the serial number, so it may not be just a Kahr thing.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Well, the dealer took the the P380 back. I bought a Glock 42 from him.
    I still want the P380 but no new one around except for a couple at $699 which is too much.
    Anybody know of a new one anywhere, please let me know.

That P380 is a new one. It’s called new old stock. If there is such a thing. You could end up with one of those $300 DLC that some here complain and complain about before the first round goes through the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    That P380 is a new one. It’s called new old stock. If there is such a thing. You could end up with one of those $300 DLC that some here complain and complain about before the first round goes through the pipe.
    You mean the ones with the magazine base plates welded on and slide stop pins that won’t go through the hole in the frame?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.