Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 76 of 247 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a new gun 2

I would be too! I do like those flat hammers.

She's a beauty 340! Those sure fetch a pretty penny everytime I've seen them. Hope you got a good deal. I bet it will run and run and run!

Me Jealous!!!!!
    NRA Benefactor

My first ever handgun was a Smith blue .22 four inch target revolver my Grandmother bought me for my 13th birthday and I remember setting up Dixie cups in the back yard and shooting at them off the back porch, I missed more than I hit but it sure was fun…….Nice find for one that old and in such good condition, mine was stolen in a burglary and I never saw it again and I would give anything to get it back and wonder if it’s still out there somewhere with someone having as much fun with it as I did so long ago……

It's purdy..................you can always go out and get another SP. That hammer can be fixed up for ya.

Decided I like the stainless look without so much black. Replaced the slide catch, mag button, backstrap, grip safety, hammer pin, and put in a single sided thumb safety to replace the ambi. I like the looks much better like this. I had to hand fit the thumb and grip safeties. Everything else dropped right in. If I had known how much time it would take to fit the grip safety I would have bought the Wilson full fit instead of the drop in. Of course that might have meant having to fit it to the frame as well.

Before and after
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shouldn't the sear pin be filling that hole behind the grip? I do like the more stainless look. I've never fitted the thumb or grip safety so I'd be completely clueless where to begin. Kind of like cars, I'll work on making the run but I don't do brakes. Course I don't got to stop, I got's to go.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Looks nice...................

Thanks bb.

That's not a hole Colonel, it's a black pin. I haven't swapped that one out yet. Good eye!

I did this also as a learning exercise. If in the future I get enough confidence and a jig or two I may even try a new sear/hammer combo. But that's a pretty big if.

Oh, and I started by laying the original and the new parts down side by side. And them re-examining them many times while filing the new parts to fit. A little at a time.

I have been on the 4" 1911 train for a while... about 20 years, but I decided I really should fill the void with a standard 5" 1911, just to be inclusive. Friend of mine had a Kimber Custom II two-tone that needed a new home, and at a bargain price, so I cast caution to the wind...

From the top, clockwise... the 'new' Custom II, my Pro Carry (not a 'II'...) and my first Kimber, a Pro Eclipse II, all in .45, of course.

The new pistol shoots well enough; I'm always surprised at how much 'bigger' a full-size 1911 feels in the hand... not in a bad way, but just different. I'm also surprised at how each of those pistols feels different in the hand, and how much different they shoot. I can't explain it, but it's true.

After handling it and shooting it, I've decided I'm not a big fan of the 2-tone look... or, actually, 3-tone... when you consider the stainless frame, the gloss blue slide, and the matte top finish, it is sort of a clash of aesthetics. I swapped the grips off the Eclipse, because I really like the rubber grips my Pro Carry came with, so add the weird grip color to the 3-tone weirdness. I'm contemplating sending it off to have it coated in some way... it was bought as a workhorse pistol, anyway.