Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 239 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Happiness is a new gun 2

My latest inheritance. Came from a good friend we called Grandpa Curlew. He was the grandfather to some friends we meet every year at of course Curlew Lake. Been meeting them for 30+ years and a few time during the year although they live a few hours away. Great family time for us and for them and Grandpa did love to fish although he struggled not seeing well.

First and probably of least note is this little Jennings 22. I don't think Grandpa shot much as he was legally blind, didn't know he had this one. I'll probably play with it some, sentimental value mostly.

This little Ruger is pretty mint, a couple years ago apparently somebody took it apart and couldn't get it back together. He brought it to the lake for me to fix. I did and then his family had concerns he had suicidal thoughts, grandma was still alive and poorly, I don't think their concerns were founded but they told me to unfix it. I removed the firing pin, it functioned and went click and acted like it worked but of course wouldn't fire. They of course lost the firing pin so I had to get a new on which arrived today.

This one I refinished the stock for him several years ago. It's a Hoban. They were made from 1945 to 1948 and made to look like an M1 Carbine. It's 22 single shot. They gave them away to kids as prizes for selling enough cream, forgot what it was called. Sold for a quarter so they must have had to sell a lot.

This one is marked Premier, I found that it's one of the first rifles Mossberg made. Made from 1923 to 1925 if memory serves. I just oiled up the stock and removed some paint splatter. Funny how many folks paint the closet and don't remove the rifles, had this several times before.

The usual Stevens 12 gauge single shot, haven't researched this one yet, strange it has a plastic stock, not sure when they did that.

Many of the guns in my accumulation are inherited, these will ride with me till they nail the lid shut. I couldn't believe our friends gave them all to me. I do love old stuff for sure.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I don't know what a "good" deal is for everyone, but I've noticed that Sig factory mags can be quite pricey. Here's a mix of them, some of which are not factory. Strangely the .40 mags by one seller are cheaper than the 9mm mags by another.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistol-Mag...13&PageSize=96

Some nice guns there Colonel. One has to wonder how many Mark 1, 2, and 3's there are sitting around in pieces...

Yeah I've had a lot of friends ask me to put them back together, and sometimes especially if it's been awhile I struggle. I struggled with this one. Everything has to be just right and hold your mouth just so or it don't happen.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Yeah I've had a lot of friends ask me to put them back together, and sometimes especially if it's been awhile I struggle. I struggled with this one. Everything has to be just right and hold your mouth just so or it don't happen.
    Sounds about right. I’ve enlisted my wife or son multiple times to “push this in and hold it right there”, or When I put these 2 together in there, push this pin into this hole”. I’m warning everyone, don’t ever disassemble a GSG Firefly (Sig Mosquito) unless you have patience and dexterity. I’ve read one description that fits, which is it is like a gun inside of a gun (frame spilts in half, gotta hold those 2 halves together with 1 hand and do all other assembly with the other hand). Bersa Thunder (UC Pro) was tough too, as there are no videos, schematics, etc to do a total disassembly. Colonal, if you are like me, I take a lot of cell phone pics, make drawings, etc to try to make sure I get it back together correctly. When I went to put that Bersa back together, I couldn’t find my drawings for a few months, so I was helpless until then. Pretty cool you are fixing your buddies guns though. I have one regular shooting buddy who really is helpless, so I clean his and fix them on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I don't know what a "good" deal is for everyone, but I've noticed that Sig factory mags can be quite pricey. Here's a mix of them, some of which are not factory. Strangely the .40 mags by one seller are cheaper than the 9mm mags by another.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistol-Mag...13&PageSize=96
    Thanks!
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Whenever I buy a gun with which I have no familiarity I always try to find a well made dissaembly and reassembly video on youtube for it, and download it to my computer. That, and rely on places like this site and others where people like the Colonel and Greg hang out so I can get questions answered, even if they're not my questions at that particular time.

Being able to tear them down and put them back together is all empowering to me. Not many I actually do. A week ago or so I took my new to me Ruger PC9 completely apart, outwards it looks intimidating but in reality it's really simple and makes it nice to go deep for a good clean once in awhile. If I'll remember how to do it day after tomorrow is a big question.

One thing about Glocks is after armorer class they are mindless easy, makes me wish I liked them more so I could carry one. I still have my department 21 45 to take apart once in awhile and it rides in the night stand with a mounted light.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I have bought quite a few magazines from Greg Cote, mostly for CZ's. But he carries Sig Stuff too.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Whenever I buy a gun with which I have no familiarity I always try to find a well made dissaembly and reassembly video on youtube for it, and download it to my computer. That, and rely on places like this site and others where people like the Colonel and Greg hang out so I can get questions answered, even if they're not my questions at that particular time.
    Thank the heavens for the internet sometimes! I do the same as you and am glad I live in an age where so much info is available for free, within seconds.