Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: P380 Ownership Review – 3rd Year

Thumbs up P380 Ownership Review – 3rd Year

The P380 continues to be my EDC with Federal FMJ for target practice and Federal hollow points for carry. Since last year, I had purchased, installed, and ran the Lakeline striker successfully for a little over a hundred rounds so far. My extractor remains unmodified from the factory since I am able to run anything from Federal with no issues at all. I am also still using MagGuts in my 6 and 7 round magazines with no issues.

If you pocket carry, my recommendation so far is to practice drawing from the pocket, and be prepared in case you lose your pocket holster in the middle of an engagement and need to bring it back into concealment.

I haven’t done much shooting in the last 6 months due to issues with buying ammunition in California. For those unaware, our unwitting populace voted for background checks on ammo in this state. Under the new California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS), I was rejected at the counter on my first attempt to purchase ammo. Apparently, the address on my gun registration needed to match my current address on my driver’s license. After making the corrections online, with no feedback if those corrections were accepted by the system, I tried again for a second rejection at the counter. A second attempt to update the CFARS system was better, as they had updated the website to give positive feedback on the update. Going back for a third time, I was finally able to purchase a 200 round box of Federal FMJ ammo just as things started to get crazy with COVID-19.

I continue to enjoy the convenience of the P380 for pocket carry. It seems to work the best in jeans, it’s okay in khakis, but not so good in dress pants. Because of that, I started considering an IWB carry for dress pants. Since considering IWB carry, I started considering going up a size to a PM9/CM9. Is there anyone out there with experiences going in between P380 and the PM9/CM9? Or should I save myself the trouble and just stick with 380 for practicality? I’m not a gun collector and I like to keep things simple and practical.

Everyone has their own personal opinion. Here's mine although it's already widely known.

Definitely step up to PM or CM9, definitely step up to IWB.

Definitely get out of California soonest provided you of course don't think like the majority of the people in California.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C View Post
    The P380 continues to be my EDC with Federal FMJ for target practice and Federal hollow points for carry. Since last year, I had purchased, installed, and ran the Lakeline striker successfully for a little over a hundred rounds so far. My extractor remains unmodified from the factory since I am able to run anything from Federal with no issues at all. I am also still using MagGuts in my 6 and 7 round magazines with no issues.

If you pocket carry, my recommendation so far is to practice drawing from the pocket, and be prepared in case you lose your pocket holster in the middle of an engagement and need to bring it back into concealment.

I haven’t done much shooting in the last 6 months due to issues with buying ammunition in California. For those unaware, our unwitting populace voted for background checks on ammo in this state. Under the new California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS), I was rejected at the counter on my first attempt to purchase ammo. Apparently, the address on my gun registration needed to match my current address on my driver’s license. After making the corrections online, with no feedback if those corrections were accepted by the system, I tried again for a second rejection at the counter. A second attempt to update the CFARS system was better, as they had updated the website to give positive feedback on the update. Going back for a third time, I was finally able to purchase a 200 round box of Federal FMJ ammo just as things started to get crazy with COVID-19.

I continue to enjoy the convenience of the P380 for pocket carry. It seems to work the best in jeans, it’s okay in khakis, but not so good in dress pants. Because of that, I started considering an IWB carry for dress pants. Since considering IWB carry, I started considering going up a size to a PM9/CM9. Is there anyone out there with experiences going in between P380 and the PM9/CM9? Or should I save myself the trouble and just stick with 380 for practicality? I’m not a gun collector and I like to keep things simple and practical.

Take the 380 and shoot the heck out of it. Master the small barrel gun. Shoot it and shoot it more. Frequent, diligent training. That can be so much fun. The CM 9 is also fun to shoot, but to carry the 380 is nothing. I do love the Micro 9mm's. My favorite range gun is the Beretta Nano and that gun had some serious rounds down range. Later bought two more.
    Favorite Plinker is the Ruger LCR22. Shoot it a lot. Nothing hones my small barrel shooting skills than that gun. So easy to put a whole lot of ammo through the gun.
    PS the Kahr 380 and the Beretta both get a lot of shooting, but the Pico has really had a lot of range days and shoots so well and handles so many rounds.

I never thought a 22.cal would be a good self defense gun until one day when shooting the LCR22. Fast shooting 8 rds to shotgun shards I had set up. After shooting them, I really thought, dang, I would hate to be the guy that had those fast 22.cal rounds flying into my face and neck. And with a mild shooting 22, you can get very fast and accurate. Changed my mind about the 22.cal

I have a CT380 and a CM9 and have carried both (not at the same time). The triggers and the manual of arms are the same so it makes switching between carry guns as uncomplicated as it can be.

The CM9 is too uncomfortable for me to pocket carry so I carry it IWB at 1:00 and currently use a Vedder Light Tuck. I’ve carried the 380 both in the pocket and IWB at 1:00 in a Vedder Light Tuck. The 380 works really well at 1:00 with a tucked shirt. I think having both the 380 and 9mm is a great idea.

At the present time my Kahrs are resting. I’m carrying my P365 IWB or my LCP in pocket.

Oh and sorry you have to deal with such burdensome laws that infringe on your right to keep and bear arms. It’s only a matter of time before that ammunition law is fully overturned but that’s just one of many burdensome laws in California. It’s unfortunate that the people of California have chosen such a government.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I love the .380. There is absolutely no reason not to carry a gun when a .380 can be pocket carried and is smaller than a lot of folks cell phones.

Sorry about your CA ammo and gun laws. I wonder the possibility of things changing next election after the pandemic gun panic?
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I have a CW380 and a PM9 I shoot the 9 slightly better I think due to the size. I carry the 9 less and less as the 380 is so easy to pocket carry. I have no problem at the range switching from one to the other as every thing about them is the same except a slight size and weight difference. If you want to keep things simple just stick to the 380. If you would like another gun or feel that a 380 round is too weak get a 9.

I have 2 CW380s, a P380. a CM9, and 2 PM9s.

Under 10 yds, I shoot the 380s more accurately than any gun I own. They make me laugh at how well I shoot them.

My primary EDC is my CM9, but on the rare occasion that I can't pocket carry it, a 380 always fits. No excuse to be unarmed.

The CW380/CM9 make a GREAT duo for me.