Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Making your own covert

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    12

    Default Making your own covert

    I realized last week that I could put my TP45 slide on my P45

    But then I started thinking about doing the same with my P9.

    So I own both a PM9 and a P9. The P9 slide fits on my PM9 really well. But there is a bit of a gap up at the end of the dust cover. Does anyone make a "gap filler"?

    Would my T9 slide fit on my P9 or even my PM9?

    This slide swap covert makes me really want to buy an actual covert. I really like the feel of this.

    Honestly. It would probably just be cheaper to find a P9 and cut the hand grip and call it a day.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokyo View Post
    I realized last week that I could put my TP45 slide on my P45

    But then I started thinking about doing the same with my P9.

    So I own both a PM9 and a P9. The P9 slide fits on my PM9 really well. But there is a bit of a gap up at the end of the dust cover. Does anyone make a "gap filler"?

    Would my T9 slide fit on my P9 or even my PM9?

    This slide swap covert makes me really want to buy an actual covert. I really like the feel of this.

    Honestly. It would probably just be cheaper to find a P9 and cut the hand grip and call it a day.
    Coverts are still to be had and show up on Gunbroker fairly often. A few weeks ago I came across one where the seller couldn't confirm if it was a Covert or a saw-offed version but it was cheap either way.

    There were two .40 Coverts on there last week and neither very much in cost.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokyo View Post
    I realized last week that I could put my TP45 slide on my P45

    But then I started thinking about doing the same with my P9.

    So I own both a PM9 and a P9. The P9 slide fits on my PM9 really well. But there is a bit of a gap up at the end of the dust cover. Does anyone make a "gap filler"?

    Would my T9 slide fit on my P9 or even my PM9?

    This slide swap covert makes me really want to buy an actual covert. I really like the feel of this.

    Honestly. It would probably just be cheaper to find a P9 and cut the hand grip and call it a day.
    My TP45 slide fits on my CW45 frame and vice versa. However, their dust covers seem identical. The TP9 and CT9 look like their dust covers are longer than the CW and P series but it still might work without a gap. Maybe someone who owns them can pipe in.

    My T40 slide does not fit on my CW40, nor the other way around. I would assume that the K and T series slides won't fit on the polymer frames, nor the polymer slides to fit on the steel framed models.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokyo View Post
    It would probably just be cheaper to find a P9 and cut the hand grip and call it a day.
    That's just what I did when I made a Kahr P9 Covert (click here for my recent post of the one I made). All in, I got that Covert made for under $350, as I got the used P9 for a sweet price.

    Oh, and I just won a used TP9 for low $$ too -- I think that one may get a chop job done too.

    Tight groups.

    Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." 2000 DTH

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I live near Tommy Gun Warehouse now. I believe I saw a used PM9 Covert there last week.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Isn't the Covert essentially a PM9, with a slightly longer grip?

    Wouldn't a P9 have a longer slide than a Covert

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near the Gila Mountains in SW AZ.
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Isn't the Covert essentially a PM9, with a slightly longer grip?

    Wouldn't a P9 have a longer slide than a Covert
    Both points are correct if we are talking about the currently produced "PM9 Covert". Personally, I think that is a misnomer; "PM9 Overt" seems more accurate to me

    The original poly "covert" models were essentially "P" models with frames shortened to the corresponding PM frame length. This was done believing that a shorter grip is easier to conceal...making these guns covert in comparison to the full length frame versions.
    As an example, here is my P40 Covert;

    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    715

    Default

    I had a P40 for a while. I liked the size of it very much. It's close to the S9 that I have for my son. I wich I had not have sold the P40. I'm now thinking about a P45 though. Did you shorten the grip on that P40?
    The P/K series are about the perfect size gun, to me, though they're not exactly pocket-sized. I wish though that Kahr would change all their guns up a bit to make them single stack plus, so as to get more rounds in them. I'm sure they could do it. The P365 and the Hellcat are only about 1/10" thicker.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near the Gila Mountains in SW AZ.
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I had a P40 for a while. I liked the size of it very much. It's close to the S9 that I have for my son. I wich I had not have sold the P40. I'm now thinking about a P45 though. Did you shorten the grip on that P40?
    The P/K series are about the perfect size gun, to me, though they're not exactly pocket-sized. I wish though that Kahr would change all their guns up a bit to make them single stack plus, so as to get more rounds in them. I'm sure they could do it. The P365 and the Hellcat are only about 1/10" thicker.
    No, I didn't. It's one of those that Kahr made.

    The P45/CW45 is my favorite of Kahr's pistols.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    715

    Default

    I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, probably because the .40 has always been my favorite, and years in construction gave me fairly strong mitts. How would you compare the p40 to the p45 in terms of felt recoil Greg?

    I recently took my XDE 3.3 in .45 to the range along with my P227. While the smaller gun didn't bother me it was definitely more of a handful than the 227. I did feel that my P40 was snappy, but I've never shot a .45 as light as the P45.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters