Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really thinking about going hunting this year.....any hunters here?

I haven't hunted since the mode of transportation change. I hunted with my grandpa's 1917 Enfield after he hung it up. Had a little 30-30 Winchester to start with for a few years. Never used anything but the Enfield.
    I too found that I just enjoyed being in the woods but needed a viable excuse to do so other than tree hugging and mushroom picking. Never killed many which was fine, work starts after the kill.
    I hunted Archery for many years until they changed the laws to where you could only hunt one way.
    Being a derelict the state would give me gate keys, and I could shoot out the window and I think even a free license, but having done it the right way, I wouldn't get any joy out of doing that. Shoot it, then have your friends do all the work.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I probably hunt this year after a couple of years hiatus. I like to hunt quail, Gamble's in particular. I don't have to shoot to have a good hunt, but it does liven things up and the birds are tasty. One of the reasons I haven't gone in awhile is my buddy Jack went ahead to scout the next trail and his partner in crime, CoCo, has gone blind. They weren't really hunting dogs, though they would flush birds (just didn't matter where I was at), but they were/are the best of companions.

It just wasn't the same without Jack, but Scout has joined our family and it's time for him to tag along.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

i like dogs but never had my own.

Some interesting vegetation down in them parts Greg. Scouts a fine looking pup, maybe the white coat helps reflect some of the heat?

We've always had a dog, usually little ankle biters. Got a border terrier now, good dog. Not good for much but a good pal.

Had a few Labs over the years, wouldn't mind another. Always wanted a Rottweiler but probably won't get one. Neighbors had one and a fella at work, I just play with theirs.

One of my best dog pals is this Mini Schnauzer that belonged to a friend. Only seen him once a year on vacation for about 10 days. But he'd jump right into my lap. Had to have a little help last year or two. He got so jealous a few years ago when we brought our dog as a pup, it was funny, he'd ignore me, tried to pee on my wheelchair tires. But we were buddies again the next year.
    Sadly he went ahead too. Encouraging my friend to get another but he doesn't think he will, said he'd never get another as good as Spencer.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I used to hunt squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, quail, duck, geese...............no big critters. My first shotgun was a used Savage single crack open 20 ga. I bought for $20. Looked brand new. When you used one of those, you had your share of misses, but you got to be real good because you only had that one shot. I moved up to an 870 later on. Mostly did it for sport. Never really cared for any of the meat. It never went to waste though. Used a Savage .22 target rifle with peep sight for squirrels.....................................ever y one knows that squirrels are like cats. Got too much curiosity for their own good. I used to sit at the base of a tree in the woods where I had seen a squirrel or two. You put some tape on a couple of silver dollars and you just click them together like little castanets. They just can't resist checking out where the noise is coming from. I'm sure that you wouldn't necessarily have to use silver dollars, but that's the way it was taught to me, so I never tried anything else. Who was I to buck tradition??? A squirrel was the first thing I ever shot. I cleaned it on the garage floor on some paper, then spiced the h#ll out of it, fried it up in a fry pan and ate some. That was the end of that. If that was the only meat around, I'd be vegetarian in a minute or two.

Default Really thinking about going hunting this year.....any hunters here?

Crap. Eating squirrel was my backup plan if things really got bad around here. I wonder if those giant lizards we now have taste any better?

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Best jambalaya I've ever had was made with squirrel. I love them and rabbits.

What the Clampetts would call "vittles"

An acquaintance used to boil rabbits for his malamutes......................stunk up the house something fierce. Pine trees are edible. Never been able to put something in my mouth that smells like it was one and done already.............