Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any benefit on having a stainless steel guide rod?

I think he is talking about the recoil spring guide rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    I think he is talking about the recoil spring guide rod.
    Correct. But I was still wrong. Confused grains with grams. More coffee please.....

Anyway - the cool part....nuts. Can't get the photo to load. The back of the recoil spring guide is etched "Kahr made in USA". Oh, about 4grams difference, BTW.

I started changing to steel anything on all my guns years ago. Use to have pics of some really chewed up both recoil and striker guide rods. Here is a latest one from a Ruger SR9C. Hard to tell from he pick, but there is significant damage to the Plastic guide rod. (and this one is no where near as bad as many I have replaced)
    I replaced it with steel from Gallaway. The small guns like 380's seem to take the worst beating.

I had no functioning issues with my stock plastic guide rod in my CW9 but I noticed the surface was getting kind of rough and was developing some small gouges from the spring. I went with a stainless rod from Lakeline and am happy as no more scars from the spring.

Whether or not it’s an “upgrade” is up to the purchaser but I’m glad I went with the stainless.