Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any benefit on having a stainless steel guide rod?

Has anyone had a failure with the plastic striker spring guide rod? I pulled mine to put in the lakeline striker after the original striker broke after a few hundred rounds and then again after about 3000 rounds and it still looked fine. I spray break cleaner through when I clean the gun after going to the range and run it unlubed. 18$ isn't much money, but why screw with what works.

I can't think of a practical reason. Some guns go thousands or tens of thousands of rounds with plastic. The exception would be a captured spring that need some solid way to hold itself together. Plastic where appropriate and steel where needed.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    I think that you ordered a striker spring guide, not the recoil spring guide rod... big difference. The one shown at Galloway is for the spring that's behind the striker spring in the rear of the slide. The original is plastic and works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    Has anyone had a failure with the plastic striker spring guide rod? I pulled mine to put in the lakeline striker after the original striker broke after a few hundred rounds and then again after about 3000 rounds and it still looked fine. I spray break cleaner through when I clean the gun after going to the range and run it unlubed. 18$ isn't much money, but why screw with what works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I can't think of a practical reason. Some guns go thousands or tens of thousands of rounds with plastic. The exception would be a captured spring that need some solid way to hold itself together. Plastic where appropriate and steel where needed.
    I ordered the piece last night. I guess it's an $18 feel good thing.
    MK9 Elite w/Night Sights / Wood Grips
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 30 w/ TruGlo TFX Pro / Streamlight TLR-6
    Glock 26 Gen 5 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    Sig P365 w/Night Sights / CT Green Laser
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights
    Walther PPQ M2 45acp w/TruGlo TFX Pro / TLR-7

My 2 cents:

Probably no real benefit. I’m not aware of a plastic failure but it also shouldn’t cause issues to upgrade to stainless steel.

On the other hand, the added weight will likely significantly reduce felt recoil, or not.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

My p380 oem guide rod weighs 143.1 grains.
    My p380 stainless Lakeline guide rod weighs 154.8 grains.
    All that extra weight sure reduces felt recoil from the powerful 380.

I would imagine that the muzzle tends to point higher with all of that extra weight in the back of the gun.

A Tungsten recoil spring guide rod, or a depleted uranium one might help with recoil!

You can probably find the first, but the not the latter one.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

The solid stainless K9 guide rod from Kahr does weigh a little over two ounces more than the hollow steel rod. That's a significant difference in the front of the gun. Unfortunately, the coolest part of Kahr's stainless guide rod is not visible in use.

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I do not think so, but they look cool.
    I'd agree on the last part!

This is one I'd checkered myself with a set of Swiss files...

I was about to make a snarky comment about "plastic parts on carry guns" then I looked at the frame on this Kahr again...

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Quote Originally Posted by FreeMe View Post
    The solid stainless K9 guide rod from Kahr does weigh a little over two ounces more than the hollow steel rod. That's a significant difference in the front of the gun. Unfortunately, the coolest part of Kahr's stainless guide rod is not visible in use.
    Two ounces... I don't think so!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".