Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new

Thread: Is this normal for Mag Guts? Not taking the last round.

Default Is this normal for Mag Guts? Not taking the last round.

I just installed the Mag Guts into my 7 round magazine. That was one very squirrelly and very sharp spring! It took several tries but I got the lock plate and mag bottom on. Then I pulled the curved spring over the notch in the front.

I followed the Mag Guts' Youtube video's instructions.

However, I cannot get more than 7 rounds into the mag.

Is that normal? Would letting it sit overnight loosen it enough for the 8th round to go in?

No experience with the seven round conversion, but my six to seven works fine.

That’s not normal. I did two of the seven to eight conversions and they were fine immediately. If you have a mag loader try that and see if it works. If not, disassemble and try again.

I found it easier to hook the spring on the follower first and then insert the spring/follower as an assembly into the mag.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Thank you but it'll have to wait. I reopened a cut on my right thumb trying to fight loading that mag. Per your advice I'll give it a couple of weeks then take it apart and try again. It's so much trouble though......I am not enthusiastic.

Edit: after typing that I tried again anyway, with bandaid on wounded thumb, took it apart, got it back together (which I thought was a great "test of patience" to do without profanity or a temper tantrum), this time used a paper clip through the witness holes to restrain the cup thingie and an ink pen to get the spring over the hook, and just got 8 rounds into it!

I might be able to test fire this thing, along with the new-to-me K9 from last March, tomorrow. If it works, I might retest my self-control and order 4 more sets.

My only experience has been with the 6 to 7 conversion. The springs definitely have sharp edges. After getting everything in there, in the CORRECT orientation I found getting that 7th round loaded was VERY difficult. The good news is that after a couple of range sessions, and keeping the converted magazine fully loaded with 7 rds. (This is my EDC gun) loading #7 gets a bit easier.
    Function has been flawless. At the range I run the CM9 fully loaded with 8 rds down to zero before reloading. I don't use partially load magazines.

The design could use its own baseplate locking piece. Make one with cupped sides to better contain the bottom of the flat spring. Several times that thing came out on me when I was trying to get the lockplate on there in order to slide the magazine baseplate on.

At the moment, I have the mag loaded with 8 rounds and sitting aside. No idea when I can test it out. If it is a success though, I'll do the same with three other 7-rounders and my one 6-rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    The design could use its own baseplate locking piece. Make one with cupped sides to better contain the bottom of the flat spring. Several times that thing came out on me when I was trying to get the lockplate on there in order to slide the magazine baseplate on.

At the moment, I have the mag loaded with 8 rounds and sitting aside. No idea when I can test it out. If it is a success though, I'll do the same with three other 7-rounders and my one 6-rounder.
    I agree, that would make installation easier. Glad you got yours together. All four of mine (2 six and 2 seven) have worked great. The only downside is that I like to clean my mags periodically but I really don’t want to disassemble them.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I agree, that would make installation easier. Glad you got yours together. All four of mine (2 six and 2 seven) have worked great. The only downside is that I like to clean my mags periodically but I really
    don’t want to disassemble them.

Thank you....I might give my suggestion to Mag Guts themselves.

Oh gosh no! I do not want to ever take a Mag Guts modified mag apart.