Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Ruger No 1 single shot rifle?

Default Anyone own a Ruger No 1 single shot rifle?

I local gun store has one but I cannot try the trigger pull there. If anyone has one, what's the trigger pull like?

I have an older one, in 45/70. Trigger is nice and crisp, probably 3 1/2 pounds. Can’t say about the new ones, but they don’t seem to be the quality of the older ones with a red recoil pad.

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I have an older one, in 45/70. Trigger is nice and crisp, probably 3 1/2 pounds. Can’t say about the new ones, but they don’t seem to be the quality of the older ones with a red recoil pad.
    Oh? I'll need to go back and see what color the recoil pad is.

Let me ask you another question......the trigger.....is it like a Mauser rifle, a "two-stage trigger?" Slack that hits a wall with no creep but a clean break of this 3.5 pounds yours has?

Not really relevant, but I wish Ruger would bring back the #3, in some decent calibers. The #1's are to fancy for me.

Had one years ago in 6mm Remington. I remember the trigger being close to my other rifles, in the three pound range. I would not buy a heavy trigger at that time. I don't think there was any staging involved.

No slack in the trigger. BTW, prices on these are all over the map. Mind telling is what the shop is asking for this one?

Thanks for the info guys. I went on and hit "buy now" since the bidding was only $200.00 off from it anyway. GORGEOUS wood stocks! 7x57 too, which is a favorite caliber of mine.

By "local gunstore" I meant "active online auction." I once linked a live auction I was interested in to a discussion forum and got outbid instantly! I'll never know if I was the cause of that but I've been careful ever since.

Price was $1270 including shipping with insurance and case. There are two other No. 1's in 7x57 I can link here, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867765859

OK just the one....but there is another on there that has scope rings and a set of RCBS dies included, same price of like $1200 I think.

I've never hunted with a 7mm Mauser but sure would like to. Other than a lever action 30-30, I've never owned a dedicated "hunting rifle" either!

After some thought, I realized a single shot rifle is ideal. If one misses, the deer will bolt and there isn't much chance for a follow up shot anyway. Also, we should all strive for "one shot; one kill." Finally, I just love hunting with a muzzle loader and those are single shots.

The other side of the coin with a single shot (I hunted muzzle loader for years too) is a bad shot but a hit means a lot of tracking if the hunter is dedicated enough to stop the animals misery.
    Same for archery. Only animal I ever wasted was a deer, shot right at dusk. I found my arrow bloody and bubbly indicating lung shot. Of course it started raining and we were in a dense pine forest. I got 3 friends to help for a day, they went back to hunting, I spent two more days searching the area, tracks were impossible to use with the ground and the rain, rained all 3 days too.
    I've helped on numerous other hunters poor shot tracks, some with success, some not. Seemed like the right thing to do.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Congrats on the rifle, you will love it. Is it one of the red pad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Congrats on the rifle, you will love it. Is it one of the red pad ones?
    Yep, red pad. I had no idea that really meant anything until another member mentioned it in this thread.

Apparently this one was made in 1976 or 1983 as it's a "200 year Anniversary Model." Gorgeous stocks.....lots of figure in the wood. Tad bit of speckling at muzzle but that will excuse me taking it hunting. Anything you take hunting is bound to get banged up a bit!

Here she is:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868560511

When I get it I'll have to get a scope (never bought a scope before) and rings.

I have only shot at 3 deer: two were solid hits which downed the deer quickly and one was a complete miss (hangfire and did not track animal until powder charge ignited). I have never lost a animal but I've never bow hunted either.

Now though, virus and all, would be a good time to prove my astrological sign is right. I should learn how to shoot a bow!

*Does one have to use Photobucket to post pics here?