Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P380 DAO dry fire question

Default P380 DAO dry fire question

Hello all, my first post here...
    I had a Taurus PT25 (similar to berretta bobcat) I sold to buy a P380 just recently. The Taurus has a hammer with DAO, I could dry fire every time without racking the slide.
    With the Kahr also being DAO, I have to rack the slide after every dry fire "shot"
    Is this normal for a striker fired DAO? (works the same with or without snap caps)

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, and I expect it will work normally when firing live rounds...

Yes that is normal for Kahr pistols.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

You don't have to rack it all of the way back to reset the trigger. Listen and you will hear a click after a short distance. It is fine to rack it all of the way as it helps set the recoil springs, but not necessary to practice trigger control. If you haven't read it go to the new member forum and read the "proper prep of a new Kahr" post. Follow that and you will likely not have any problems. If you are going to use it for a carry gun I would suggest that you put a Lakeline striker in. You can get them from Kahr or Lakeline. The OEM part tends to break. If you want to carry an extra round without increasing size the Mag Guts work nicely. If you run into any problems post on here before you go to Kahr. There are people on here that can probably cure any problem you run into. Welcome to the group

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    You don't have to rack it all of the way back to reset the trigger. Listen and you will hear a click after a short distance. It is fine to rack it all of the way as it helps set the recoil springs, but not necessary to practice trigger control. If you haven't read it go to the new member forum and read the "proper prep of a new Kahr" post. Follow that and you will likely not have any problems. If you are going to use it for a carry gun I would suggest that you put a Lakeline striker in. You can get them from Kahr or Lakeline. The OEM part tends to break. If you want to carry an extra round without increasing size the Mag Guts work nicely. If you run into any problems post on here before you go to Kahr. There are people on here that can probably cure any problem you run into. Welcome to the group
    Are the strikers any better in January 2020 P380 builds?
    MK9 Elite w/Night Sights / Wood Grips
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 30 w/ TruGlo TFX Pro / Streamlight TLR-6
    Glock 26 Gen 5 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    Sig P365 w/Night Sights / CT Green Laser
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights
    Walther PPQ M2 45acp w/TruGlo TFX Pro / TLR-7

I put 500 rounds through my CT380 bought in 2018 with the stock striker with no issues. I upgraded to the Lakeline at that point just to mitigate the risk that it might break.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Are the strikers any better in January 2020 P380 builds?
    I'll let you know in a few hundred more rounds. Actually, they look the same. Some of us surmised that Kahr had a bad batch of strikers back then (around 2015) because there seemed like there were a lot of them. But I don't know if any one is sure. I normally carry my P365 but will sometimes throw my original P380 in a pocket. It has the Lakeline striker in it. The one I recently bought for $299 will be getting workouts at the range and I'll see how the stock striker holds up.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I put 500 rounds through my CT380 bought in 2018 with the stock striker with no issues. I upgraded to the Lakeline at that point just to mitigate the risk that it might break.
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I'll let you know in a few hundred more rounds. Actually, they look the same. Some of us surmised that Kahr had a bad batch of strikers back then (around 2015) because there seemed like there were a lot of them. But I don't know if any one is sure. I normally carry my P365 but will sometimes throw my original P380 in a pocket. It has the Lakeline striker in it. The one I recently bought for $299 will be getting workouts at the range and I'll see how the stock striker holds up.
    Sounds good, guys.
    I haven't fired my P380 yet. Next Tues I'll hit the range. My new MK9 debut, no malfunctions with around 100 rounds with combo of Blazer and Lawman 124gr ammo.

As you may remember, I had a new P380 2014 KDxxx build and returned it because I read some negative things including the striker issues. I found a new REoxxx with hopefully an internals upgrade..
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights

The striker in my CW380 broke around 500 rounds and I replaced it with the Lakeline. Now have several thousands rounds through it with no problems. I just bought two of the P380 for $300 each. One is a gift. I replaced the strikers in both of them before I even shot them. Quite a few of the stock strikers have broken, but I am sure there are many more that have not broken. If you aren't going to carry it I guess it is not important.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    The striker in my CW380 broke around 500 rounds and I replaced it with the Lakeline. Now have several thousands rounds through it with no problems. I just bought two of the P380 for $300 each. One is a gift. I replaced the strikers in both of them before I even shot them. Quite a few of the stock strikers have broken, but I am sure there are many more that have not broken. If you aren't going to carry it I guess it is not important.
    I carry one of my 9mm's but may carry the P380 half the time. I guess depending where I'm going and what I'm wearing.
    I'd love for someone to tell me how the newer build strikers are ok vs the older 2015 and older builds.
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    I carry one of my 9mm's but may carry the P380 half the time. I guess depending where I'm going and what I'm wearing.
    I'd love for someone to tell me how the newer build strikers are ok vs the older 2015 and older builds.
    "Wear I'm goign and what I'm wearing," that's 2/3 of what I use to determine what weapon I carry.

For me it's where I'm going, what I'm wearing, and what I plan to be doing.

At the moment though, that boils down to snub nose .38, CW 45, or 1911 SC.