Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New TP9 for Low $$ -- Now what... a Grip Chop???

Default Brand New TP9 for Low $$ -- Now what... a Grip Chop???

OK, now what do I do?

I put a very LOW bid ($255) in on a Kahr TP9 on GB, and to my surprise -- I won it! Upon arrival and inspection, I don't think it's ever been shot outside of the factory, as there's barely any marks on it at all. As I already have a T9, K9 and P9 Covert (a P9 that I cut down), now I'm trying to figure out how this addition (or should I say "addiction"??) fits into my Kahr Kollection.

Here she is in all her pristine ready-to-be-shot glory:

To be quite honest, with low shipping fees and no-charge for the transfer (as my FFL owed me one for a favor I did) I have very little $$ into this TP9, and I am now thinking of making it into one of these 2 versions:

(A)
    An "Original TP9" -- Cut down the front dust cover and the grip by 1/2" (to P9 length).

(web image)

Or...

(B)
    A "TP9 Covert" -- Cut down the dust cover (not shown) by 1/2" and the grip by 1" (to PM9 length).

(web image)

I know there are those who will say "Don't cut down a new gun...", while others may say "It's yours, do what you want..." but I'm very curious which version of the TP9 above appeals more to the Kahr aficionados on this forum.

As I can use the 2 TP9 mags with my T9, and have extra P9 mags from the P9 Covert cut-down that I did, I'm leaning towards (A) as the first/original version of the TP9 (with the P9 grip length and shorter dust cover) had really good lines. I recall that many shooters on this forum lamented when the "new TP9" was issued and the original went away.

Which TP9 version do you like???

Or, let the flaming begin!!!

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Just leave it and have fun making noise. I like my TP45 more so than my PM45. About the mags, my TP mags won’t run the PM. Fail to feed past the feed ramp. Same mag spring in the 5, 6 & 7 round 45 mags. Stronger spring maybe. I know the 9mm is different, may function ok.

I'd prefer just leaving it the way it is................................................ .....never been a fan of cutting ANY firearm.

Congratulations! And I'd leave it just the way it is. If you really want to modify I'd go with option A.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

When I bought my TP9 I still had a T9. Turns out I enjoyed the TP more than the T. You might want to do some serious range time before deciding. I bought the TP with the intent of cutting the grip to a P size but changed my mind after shooting it. Became my favorite model Kahr.

You may want to consider not cutting the dust cover for the sake of slide stability and to keep the slot cleaner from debris. Also I'd be afraid of losing some interior support feature of the guides.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    You may want to consider not cutting the dust cover for the sake of slide stability and to keep the slot cleaner from debris. Also I'd be afraid of losing some interior support feature of the guides.
    Kahr imbedded the stainless rails well over 3/4" to the rear, so there's no loss of any stability if the cut is made to take off 1/2" of plastic.

Thanks for the comments to date; I'll have to do some more thinking on this one...

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

"Congratulations! And I'd leave it just the way it is. If you really want to modify I'd go with option A."

I'd agree with David leaning towards leaving it as is since you already have the other versions. Just an additional carry option to support your addiction.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Congratulations! And I'd leave it just the way it is. If you really want to modify I'd go with option A.
    Im with DavidR and congratulations.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Well, it hasn't been molested yet!!!

I was surprised when the Kahr CS Rep told me this afternoon that it was born in 2009 -- 11 years ago... 11!!! -- I don't think it's had that many round put through it!

But I'll have to change that...

Old No7

Default A Variant of Option A

Option (B) makes little sense unless you want to replace your P9 Covert as a pocket gun -- and even then you'd probably need a tailor to deepen your pockets and to make your own pocket holster.

What I recommend is something more similar to Option (A), but subtly different.

First of all, I see no good reason to cut the dust cover.

Second, I would take a P9 magazine and replace the floor plate and inner flat bottom piece with the metal versions from the PM-9 magazines.
    Then, cut the grip ONLY ENOUGH to fit THIS 7-round magazine with metal base plate.

The metal floor plate is narrower with rounder edges; reducing and rounding the bottom of the gun increases its concealability out of proportion to the reduction in size -- because you're narrowing the gun right at the point that would be most likely to print.

The result will be a gun that is

• Competitive in concealability with most other manufacturers' single-stack mini-9mm guns.

• Allows you a full firing grip.

• Maybe won't pinch your hand even when doing fast magazine changes (as contrasted with guns that require a pinky-rest or tall floor plates to finish the grip).

• Has accuracy and ballistics better than most full-size service pistols.