Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawn/power equipment talk

Are the cylinder and piston clean? My blower was sluggish and struggling. When I pulled the muffler, the innards looked pretty varnished up, so I Seafoamed it clean (straight into the cylinder), and it was back to its peppy self.

Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Are the cylinder and piston clean? My blower was sluggish and struggling. When I pulled the muffler, the innards looked pretty varnished up, so I Seafoamed it clean (straight into the cylinder), and it was back to its peppy self.
    Looks pretty good but at this point I have nothing to lose so I’ll give it a try. Thanks.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I used to use Seafoam back in the day in my cars. It's a good ole standby............................don't know about other areas but in my neighborhood, gasoline has a shelf life of about 30 days before it starts turning to varnish. I use lots of gas saver, I keep it in all of my gas cans and run it through my equipment constantly. I also NEVER run my fuel dry in any of my stuff. You should always keep a bit of fuel in your equipment to keep any gaskets wet. They will dry out over the winter. Also, running out fuel allows any junk in the bottom of a tank to get in to the filters.

I always had the same concerns about running the carb dry. The Stihl dealer told me to run it dry for winter storage and the manual says the same thing. Most of the gaskets now are some rubber composit so I guess they don't kneed to be kept moist. It has worked for me so far. When all else RTMD and follow it.

No problems for me over the last 15 years running the carb dry in my generator. Monday I fired it up for the first time in two years. Ran rough for a few minutes and then smooth. Ran it dry and put it back under my work bench. Really hoping I don’t need it this hurricane season.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    No problems for me over the last 15 years running the carb dry in my generator. Monday I fired it up for the first time in two years. Ran rough for a few minutes and then smooth. Ran it dry and put it back under my work bench. Really hoping I don’t need it this hurricane season.

Lucky you, You’re not going to get one that good anymore. Good engine.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Visit here:

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Lucky you, You’re not going to get one that good anymore. Good engine.
    I inherited it from my father in law in 1999. He’d had a few years then so it’s probably 25 years old. 10hp Tecumseh engine, 5000 watts, pull start.

I did have the carburetor rebuilt in early 2005 because it had sat for too long with gas in it.

Eventually the pull start feature will be too much for me. If my plans to retire to NC come to fruition next year I will likely give it to one of my buddies before we move and pick up one with a battery powered starter.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

My edger is big steel push around type from before 1995 and has a real USA Briggs and Stratton engine. About every 5 years or so I have to pull the carb off and shoot some carburetor cleaner through the fuel lines and pump then it runs like a new machine. They don’t make them like that any more in my opinion.

Visit here:

@David R At 84 my dad was looking for a generator and was going to save some money by getting one with pull start instead of electric start. I took him to a Home depot where they happened to have a returned pull start on the floor. He pulled it three times and decided he need the electric start. Just remember to start it monthly and run it for 15 minutes or so. sitting unused isn't good for such things and the start battery will need a charge anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I inherited it from my father in law in 1999. He’d had a few years then so it’s probably 25 years old. 10hp Tecumseh engine, 5000 watts, pull start.

I did have the carburetor rebuilt in early 2005 because it had sat for too long with gas in it.

Eventually the pull start feature will be too much for me. If my plans to retire to NC come to fruition next year I will likely give it to one of my buddies before we move and pick up one with a battery powered starter.
    Wow I haven't seen a Tecumseh engine in years, when I was a kid my best friend and I saved up grass cutting money and bought a used go cart that had a 3 horse Briggs & Stratton that would barely run so we found a used tiller with a 8 hp Tecumseh and swapped motors and man that 8 horse with the governor removed would scream, that little go cart would run 45 mph easy....Lucky we didn't get killed on that thing....