Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade to the ol' homestead

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I’d like to live in a place like that. Guess I need to buy a lottery ticket or three.
    Here’s a better strategy:

1. Identify as black

2. Collect reparations of $12,000 per year (double that if wifey identifies too)

3. Use the money to make mortgage payments

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

My wife keeps wanting to go into debt for residential expenditures, but I tell her I don’t want to be in my 80s and still paying a mortgage. She’s ten years younger and I guess she doesn’t get it.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Went out to Missouri to help my son move out in our area and I'm very glad I did. I made this sign to hang over the gate coming in to the house last fall. Had to wait until June for the weather to warm up enough to paint it as the wife wouldn't let me paint in the house. I already had the stars and stripes flying where the Navy flag now is, which was a present from the wife. So I finally had someone to help me get the sign up plus the two flags. The height of the gate crossbar is around 18 feet-ish and my 16 foot ladder wasn't tall enough. Backed the truck up to the gate, put the ladder in and strapped the ladder to the crossbar. Took a while to figure out how to get the sign up in a way in order to attach it to the crossbar. I think the fourth attempt was successful. I'm just glad it is finally up there. The odd thing is very few people will ever see it. The road we live on dead ends about a 1/2 mile past the house with only 5-6 other houses above us, and only 3 of them with folks that live up here fulltime. The wife loves it and that is all that really matters.

Attachment 16864
    We are in big need or a "like" Button

Get yourself one of these and mount it up high and you will be good to go 24/7
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...775B/310424635
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Now I need to find some led solar lights so I can keep the US flag lit up at night. Long way from the nearest outlet to the gate.
    Finding proper LED lights to light your flag may be harder than you think. I recently put together a setup that works very well although my flag isn't as high as yours (no pot reference intended! ) You'll want a 15 degree angle spot. I found a solar panel with a battery manager online and a good 12v battery at Batteries Plus. I put the battery in a plastic ammo box I found at Harbor Freight. If you're interested I'll PM the details to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I was thinking Confederate flag but you can't even get one now days. Ok, Ok, I'm a pot stirrer..............
    I told my wife that if we put up an English flag the folks around here would probably think it is a Confederate flag.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I’d like to live in a place like that. Guess I need to buy a lottery ticket or three.
    You'd be surprised how not so expensive it is to buy up here. The problem most people have is living up here year round due to the long winter and the fact that the snow that falls in Nov. doesn't melt until May. It is expensive to live up here through the winter if your only heat source is the house furnace. First thing I did when we moved in was to put a wood stove in the living room. I have been cutting down dead trees for our firewood but I'm about out of them. Time to cut a few live ones in the name of fire mitigation and firewood for next year.

As far as solar lights, I haven't even started looking. I will need the solar panel connected to the battery/light by 10-20 feet of wire as the entrance faces to the north. Every thing will have to be on the frames somehow, probably on the backside of the cross beam to keep things hidden, except the two lights.

And thanks all for the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    We are in big need or a "like" Button

Get yourself one of these and mount it up high and you will be good to go 24/7
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...775B/310424635
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Mount the solar lights on the crossbar. One on each side should do it nicely. The closer they are the less light required.

You'd be surprised how not so expensive it is to buy up here. The problem most people have is living up here year round due to the long winter and the fact that the snow that falls in Nov. doesn't melt until May. It is expensive to live up here through the winter if your only heat source is the house furnace. First thing I did when we moved in was to put a wood stove in the living room. I have been cutting down dead trees for our firewood but I'm about out of them. Time to cut a few live ones in the name of fire mitigation and firewood for next year.

!

What general area of CO do you live in? Over 2 trips I’ve spent about a month all over southern Colorado west of I-25. I crossed the mountains on 160 going into Pagosa Springs on July 2 a few years ago through snow flurry’s.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I live about 30-35 miles west of Colo Springs, though we live 10 miles off of the highway so fairly rural, I guess. The elevation in South Park, a large, mostly flat open grasslands, has an elevation that averages around 8400 feet. Most houses out here are higher than that. I think the elevation is something else that keeps some people from living up here year round, too.

Years ago we looked at buying a ranch on Twin Mountain [east of Laramie Wyoming], it was only a $100 per acre due to rural location. Wife decided to stay in town in Laramie.
    I would of loved it. Scouting around on property found lots of arrow heads and 45/70 old brass. It had a nice 3 bedroom log home included. Big negative for wife was no phone service in area and had to have a Satellite Phone.

https://goo.gl/maps/2UZuzfjfryrs2PQF8

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2415...05.4586645,12z
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!