Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complimented two open carriers today in Lowe's.

Default Complimented two open carriers today in Lowe's.

You see open carry in the local Lowe's from time-to-time. Today a gentleman had the stereotypical nylon strap-over with spare mag pouch on holster. I complimented the man on open carry and asked what he was carrying. He said "G2." Not having any idea what that was, I asked. The man seemed a bit shocked I didn't know but explained that was a Taurus. We joked a bit and he gave me a fist bump (first one from a stranger since early March!).

Next up was a man with son, this time a Charles Daily 1911 in a Serpa retention holster. We spoke a bit and this guy told me he only open carried in retention holsters. He did have a reload and carry insurance. No less lethal option though. His 1911 was on Condition 3.....I don't think I've ever met anyone that carries with empty chamber. I was courteous and asked his reasoning. He explained it depended on the situation and that he had grandkids. He understood he'd have to begin his draw sooner to make time to rack the slide.

So two open carriers, both with at least one reload. No one else seemed to notice. Good conversation and fellowship.

*First man was black....so much for "blacks get shot on sight if they open carry." Nonsense as usual.

Only guys open carrying around here are uniformed police officers.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Here in Georgia you see open carry a good bit especially in rural areas, I try not to pay attention to it and just go about my business, truth is I wish everybody went around heeled but concealed, probably have alot less problems that way....
    Last edited by getsome; 06-29-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Here in Georgia you see open carry a good bit, I try not to draw attention to it and just go about my business, truth is I wish everybody went around heeled, probably have alot less problems that way....
    I'm an outgoing person by nature....as I told the first open carrier "we have to support each other."

Last time I open carried in that store was when it got too hot to keep my jacket on. My 1911 in a retention holster drew some compliments. The S&W Sc's grips are very nice.

It's definitely a deterrent.....just like armed security is respected a lot more than unarmed security. Just like how no bully picks fights with a bodybuilder.....they pick on those that appear weak, not those able to tear a man's arms off.

One way to look at it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I see it and ignore it. On my way in to work as an RSO I am always carrying OWB and if I head into a grocery store to pick up donuts for the gang I will pull out my shirt to cover my firearm. I always felt open carry was just advertising and a possible invite to trouble. I would prefer that I do not have to explain myself to a security officer or cop because some Karen dials 911 and says "man with a gun".
    "Never pet a burning dog"

In the 4 years since Texas passed handgun open carry (long gun open carry has always been legal), I have seen exactly two people availing themselves of that right.....a couple walking out of a Wendy’s burger joint.
    Don’t do it myself, but to each his/her own.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I view it just like I view any other right.

There are people that exercise the right with class and those that are slovenly, or overbearing and even offensive. I prefer classy people, in all ways.

Open carry is certainly gaining steam in WV, slowly, but it's growing in popularity. I suspect the news of riots and general increase in chaos right now is a factor, but did not get to ask that yesterday.

Krogers has banned it, as has CVS, but management at both told me they did not enforce the ban on open carry. Since those two companies' rules changed, I have personally witnessed two people open carrying (in a kydex, non retention holster) and neither was spoken to by staff. I even asked one clerk about it (the open carrier was in line in front of me) and she said "I never saw it."

She probably didn't notice it. LOL I think most people assume anything on a side is a "large cell phone" or are just too oblivious to notice anything at all.

Purely anecdotal, but it seems to me that since we passed Constitutional carry here, I'm seeing fewer people carrying openly.

I don't have an opinion on which is better - open or concealed - because.....it depends. But when I see the open carrier being oblivious of his surroundings, such as the guy sitting at the counter in a diner with his back to the door and everyone else - that makes me shake my head.

It doesn't bother me a bit to see it, but I prefer to keep a low profile and conceal carry instead. If I ever have to use my weapon I sure hope there is an open carry person there to draw fire for me.