Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Berry's 350 grain bullets, 50 cal

Default Berry's 350 grain bullets, 50 cal

Has anyone tried these in the Desert Eagle .50AE?. I bought a box at Cabelas, and thought I would try
    them in my DE. If they don't work, I can always use them in my .500 Smith.

I don't reload, but I read the threads... and I am positive I have heard of people loading Berry's 350gr. I have tested rounds up to 500 grains in the 50AE Desert Eagle, but I don't know what brand they were.
    Some of the reloader group will chime in soon I am sure.

MrBlackCat

Thanks for the reply, MrBlackCat.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
    I don't reload, but I read the threads... and I am positive I have heard of people loading Berry's 350gr. I have tested rounds up to 500 grains in the 50AE Desert Eagle, but I don't know what brand they were.
    Some of the reloader group will chime in soon I am sure.

MrBlackCat
    +1

Ok, I loaded up ten rounds with the Berry 350 grain bullets. Started out with 20 grains of Alliant 2400, little on the light side, but would rather be safe than sorry. Gonna shoot em on Wednesday, at the range. If they work out ok, I'm gonna go with my 22.7 grain regular load, with the 325 grain Speers. Will let you guys know.

Just got back from the range, and here are the results. The 350 grain Berry bullet, with cannelure, meant for the .500 Smith and Wesson, seated to same depth as factory rounds. I used 22.7 grains of Alliant 2400 powder, IMI cases that I found by accident in my junk box, and the aforementioned Berry 350 grain bullets. High velocity was 1170 fps, low velocity was 1132 fps, average was 1147 fps, extreme spread 38 fps, and standard deviation was 14. All good numbers. The group at 25 yards was about 2", which I consider ok. Only fly in the ointment was case being caught between scope mount and the bolt opening. I think I will go up to 23.5 grains for next go round, maybe that will eliminate the jamming. So, there you go, gents! Oh, and I was using Winchester large pistol primers.

Excellent! Thank you for sharing your test results.

Do you have plans to try any other bullet types or weights in the Desert Eagle?

MrBlackCat

Yes, I'm thinking of trying some 400 grain, just have to find out who makes em. I also took my Bushnell 2x scope off. I think it's finally given up the ghost. I've got Williams firesight on rear, and a Dawson Precison on the front. I'll let you know how
    the heavier bullets perform when I get some to load.

I went to the range today, try the 350 grain Berrys with just the iron sights. I wasn't too happy. I'm gonna put a scope back on. The groups were ok, but too easy to flinch with the metallic sights. You can catch yourself when using the scope. I mean it's not like I am adding another two pounds or anything. I just shoot better with the scope. My old soon to be 75 year old eyes need all the help they can get!