Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian .45 ACP for testing feeding issue

New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Louisiana, Germany, England, Massachusetts, Idaho

Default Russian .45 ACP for testing feeding issue

As described, working out a feeding issue on a CW45 and wondering if the Russian steel case (because it's available right now) would add its own problems by being lacquer coated introducing possible drag compounding the feeding issue. I read that the lacquer or the coating used on the case can cause its own feeding problems in "guns" not specifically Kahr's but "guns"

Would be Silver Bear 230 gr FMJ

I personally would pass it by and look for brass. Never felt right about steel cased ammo even in Russian made guns, not sure why, just don't seem right to me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I shoot steel cased in commie guns only. I just did a quick search a d fount brass cased .45 for $.38 per. Shipped. Not the worst price I have ever seen.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/winc...ium=AFF&rid=10

Out of stock... story of my life.

What kind of feeding issue are you having with your CW45?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Slugnutty View Post
    Out of stock... story of my life.
    sorry. It was in stock when I posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    What kind of feeding issue are you having with your CW45?
    It went back to the factory for short slide syndrome - prior to that it fed 100% fine
    Now it feeds 3 or 4 rounds and then a round does not feed fully in to the chamber but I can not remember where it stops.... at the case mouth, at the rim.... I just don't recall - this is why I'm buying more range ammo to go back out and investigate
    I found that West German SIG P220 in .45 and moved to in 2019 for my big bore pistol, but I loved the CW45 and I'm not willing to give up on it.

So, I'm buying 1,000 rounds of .45 and will be going to the range next week (24-JUL-2020) to fire and observe the issues once more - this time with the camera and a critical eye on what, how, when and possibly why.

I have 5 magazines, all Kahr manufactured, I believe I am just at the 200 round break in period since its been returned from the factory so this may still be growing pains as they replaced the full gun - IE the S/N changed from going to them and the return from them.

One other thing I noticed is when dry firing lately - I pull the trigger the stiker releases, keeping the trigger pulled to the rear I pull the slide back just as it starts to move it catches on something which feels like it is somewhere in between the ejection port and the rear sight its a "catch" that I have to overcome - I can hear a distinct CLICK then the slide travels rearwards unimpeded.

I've been dry firing and working the slide hundreds and hundreds of times ea]ch day now and it may be me but the "catch" (maybe) feels like it is slightly less pronounced needing less force to move the slide over it... I do not think it is related to the feeding issue as when fired with real rounds the slide travels rearward with no issue.

Anyhow - I hope to have the rounds here this week and out to the range in two weeks to work on the feeding issue.

You're my go to Greg on technical issues here, anything I should be looking for now or when I'm out there? And as I said I'll try to be taking good pictures or as best I can when (if) it happens.

You mean the short frame issue? Where the dust cover was too short for the slide?
    They may or may not have replaced the top end, maybe you know for sure.
    I recall Gregs shot so well that he requested specifically not to change the top end, only the frame.

If it's a whole new gun then we're starting over. Greg will figure it out.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You mean the short frame issue? Where the dust cover was too short for the slide?
    They may or may not have replaced the top end, maybe you know for sure.
    I recall Gregs shot so well that he requested specifically not to change the top end, only the frame.

If it's a whole new gun then we're starting over. Greg will figure it out.
    Yes, Short frame where the slide rails in the dust cover did not fully extend to engage the slots in the slide when the slide was fully forward.
    Talked to Kahr - they said send the gun back, days after they received it they said we're replacing the full gun with my permission, I bought it as a pawn shop super deal and thought that getting a replacement gun was the cats meow so I said please do replace it.

Ever since its not feed anymore than 5 or fewer rounds consecutively - I boxed it in the safe intending to get back to it someday... now is someday.
    Kahr may have taken my slide and placed it on a new 'lower' or may have replaced everything that I am unsure of - but the S/N that was returned from Kahr was not the S/N sent to them.

On the up side, I get to go shoot a lot of ammo and there is NO down side to that going in to it knowing there may be issues.

EDIT to add:
    My MAGNIFICENT video skills that kicked this whole issue off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5eFp9UGVSU

The frame is the serialized part so either way it would have a new serial. I suspect if they said they were replacing the whole gun that you got a whole new gun. That's a good thing as you mention.
    Just have to sort this one out and figure out what's going on.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan