Xssights   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comedic observation or insult? I LOOK AMISH?

Default Comedic observation or insult? I LOOK AMISH?

Today a friend told me I "looked like a Mormon-----NO----Amish, you look Amish!"

All because I started wearing suspenders. Lost so much weight on P90X my work pants won't stay up. Belt won't go any tighter and being a gunbelt (1/4 inch thick), I don't want to order another one until I am down to where I want to be belly-fat wise.

I wear Bates duty boots, khaki pants, High Noon Holsters black belt, white tee shirt with pocket, suspenders, and a straw hat most days.

So....comedy or insult? LOL

Maybe I need a blue button up shirt, dark round hat like in the movie "Witness?" LOL

He added, "yep, you look Amish, except for the pepper spray and reload, you could pass as one." LOL

I started front pocket carrying a Kahr and had to go to the suspenders myself with some weight loss and because of the weight of the firearm. Wore them for 8+ years. I heard a comment one time from someone who said that they make you look old. Well I am, so I could give two sheets what it looked like. Worked well. Also have a set of Perry suspenders which work real well in unison with a belt for those extra heavy/full size firearms. I use a Wilderness 5 stitch belt and mostly carry OWB now. I have 2 of the belts. One in my normal size and one that's 4 sizes larger. I find that not all firearms and holsters work well with the same size belt. I can carry smaller firearms/revolvers in slide holsters using my normal size. For my semi autos I need extra room even though I am still using the same type holster, just because of the extra width of the semi auto. I found suspenders to be quite comfortable. You have nothing squeezing your waist and it's more comfortable to bend over with no belt buckle. I think you'll like them as part of your dress...............................If you want the comments to stop, you should probably ditch the straw hat. " and we loaded up the truck and we moved to Beverly ".

Hmmm....your friend may be onto something?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Yeah, it sounds to me like you look Amish. Or maybe Quaker. I'd consider it a compliment. My favorite shade hat was made by Quakers, but I usually don't wear suspenders - so I just look strange.

Quaker....that's a good one too!

Very funny guys, love it. I wear a straw hat to keep the sun off my shaved head.

Want to get white suspenders though so they won't get hot in the sun.

I’d Rather wear one of these under a vest instead of suspenders....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I wore suspenders for 10 years in my younger days when I was a millwright in a papermill. Much easier when you are working and crawling around and into things.

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    I wore those for a few years but got to where it rode on the shoulder tendons or something and made my neck ache. I really liked the set up, no matter how I adjusted just couldn't make it comfy. Tried a vertical rig where the muzzle was attached to the belt to support part of the weight and that worked for awhile.

Now it's all belt carry for me. My Wilson 1911 moved into # 1 spot this week, put a short trigger in my usual CBob carry and we don't get along, so I'll order a middle length trigger to get it back on the track.

Headed home tomorrow.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Who says you have to wear that under a vest?

I open carried today with the suspenders, it was "a mowing day," after all....at least until the thunderstorm had something to say about it. LOL

That particular rig, a "Miami Vice" type of rig isn't very comfortable, I much prefer the Andrews' Leather Monarch design.

So far, no neck strain with the suspenders. Knock on wood....as neck/shoulder pain was a fear I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I wore those for a few years but got to where it rode on the shoulder tendons or something and made my neck ache. I really liked the set up, no matter how I adjusted just couldn't make it comfy. Tried a vertical rig where the muzzle was attached to the belt to support part of the weight and that worked for awhile.

Now it's all belt carry for me. My Wilson 1911 moved into # 1 spot this week, put a short trigger in my usual CBob carry and we don't get along, so I'll order a middle length trigger to get it back on the track.

Headed home tomorrow.
    With my Dunlap’s disease my OWB carry winds up being concealed if I’m totin’ a compact gun.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling