Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sure wish there were more hammer fired models to choose from

Default Sure wish there were more hammer fired models to choose from

Been shopping for a new HD gun after deciding I didn't like my FNX45 tank enough. Looked and looked for something to replace it. There are good choices but not so many are available right now. So I settled on an M18 to fill the FNX's spot until I can find a permanent replacement.

The M18 comes with the medium grip. I thought I'd give the small a try, in black. Turns out I like the fit of the medium better, though I do like the look of the black more than the coyote so I'll likely be looking to trade this small black for a medium black. Good thing is that the grip modules are less than $40.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Been shopping for a new HD gun after deciding I didn't like my FNX45 tank enough. Looked and looked for something to replace it. There are good choices but not so many are available right now. So I settled on an M18 to fill the FNX's spot until I can find a permanent replacement.

The M18 comes with the medium grip. I thought I'd give the small a try, in black. Turns out I like the fit of the medium better, though I do like the look of the black more than the coyote so I'll likely be looking to trade this small black for a medium black. Good thing is that the grip modules are less than $40.
    Have you given any thought to H&Ks?

I do like H&Ks, and I have one left now. I traded off a P2000 .40 that was a V3 DA/SA, decocker only. I still have a P2000SK in 9mm that I'm saving for my son. It's also a V3 DA/SA, decocker only. But I'm in the process of moving mostly to SA triggers. I'm looking at several HKs in the variants that have safety/decockers so they can be cocked and locked. The trouble right now is that inventories are getting pretty much depleted.

I'm open to striker fired again but only those with a manual safety, like the M18 above, for carry or HD. Thanks for the thought though!

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Been shopping for a new HD gun after deciding I didn't like my FNX45 tank enough.
    dao,

Have you considered the Sig Sauer M11-A1? All-metal, hammer-fired, DA/SA. Essentially, a rail-less, tailless, "toughened" P229. I purchased mine new about three years ago as a CCW that doubles for HD. I couldn't be more satisfied with it.

I subsequently purchased a .357 Sig X-Change kit for it, and now it is almost always dressed in .357 Sig. I also purchased an OEM 9x19 threaded bbl, an OEM .40 S&W bbl, and Hogue checkered cocobolo grips for it.

When I CC it, it wears OEM magazines (15 + 1 when dressed as 9x19 Luger, as original; or 12 + 1 when dressed as .357 Sig or .40 S&W). When serving as HD, it wears Mec-Gar + 2 magazines (17 + 1 as 9x19; or 14 + 1 as .357 or .40).

It might be just what you're looking for. See attached pics.

rx7sig
    Last edited by rx7sig; 08-10-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks rx, I'm also looking at P229 and 226's. The M11-A1 would work though I haven't been able to find any in 40.

I too prefer hammer fired pistols, but I find them all too large for CC unless I can cover a belt holster. {I've yet to find an ITB holster that's comfortable} I have three SIG's, three HK's, and five 1911's, Including the SIG C3, and all are too large to carry w/o a holster. I also have a third gen S&W, CS45, that's hammer fired but it has a concealed hammer. I like the HK better than the SIG, because, other than my C3 1911, SIG's don't have manual safeties, so no "cocked and locked".

It's just hard to find a better carry pistol than the Kahrs, so that's what I CC 99% of the time.

Some good iwb holsters are N8 Squared Tactical, now Crossbreed, and Alien Gear Super Tucks. The JM4 Tactical are not bad at all either.

Sig does make some SAO pistols with manual safeties, designed to be carried Condition 1 and are essentially the same manual of arms as a 1911. The P229, P226, and P220 are three of those, all in their Legion Series. I have a P229 SAO and it is a fine weapon with a very, very nice trigger. I do carry it, both iwb and owb. And your right on the money, the holster makes the difference. All the difference.

Oh, and Sig also makes some DAK guns which are DAO, but implemented in an usual way. Essentially first round is a 5.5lb long trigger pull, and there are two reset points. First reset puts the trigger at an 8.5lb, fairly long pull, but if you let the trigger all the way out it's once again a longer 5.5lb pull. No decocker, no safety. From what I've heard they take some getting used to. And practice.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    dao,

Have you considered the Sig Sauer M11-A1? All-metal, hammer-fired, DA/SA. Essentially, a rail-less, tailless, "toughened" P229. I purchased mine new about three years ago as a CCW that doubles for HD. I couldn't be more satisfied with it.

I subsequently purchased a .357 Sig X-Change kit for it, and now it is almost always dressed in .357 Sig. I also purchased an OEM 9x19 threaded bbl, an OEM .40 S&W bbl, and Hogue checkered cocobolo grips for it.

When I CC it, it wears OEM magazines (15 + 1 when dressed as 9x19 Luger, as original; or 12 + 1 when dressed as .357 Sig or .40 S&W). When serving as HD, it wears Mec-Gar + 2 magazines (17 + 1 as 9x19; or 14 + 1 as .357 or .40).

It might be just what you're looking for. See attached pics.

rx7sig

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea there were so many options available for the M11A1. I enjoy mine and it would rank high on the list of "If I only could keep one pistol". I bought it because a guy in an unnamed agency had his department switch from Sig to Glock and he gave me a bag of 15 round magazines. So, them not fitting in a P226 I owned, I needed a gun to put them in correct?
    I did swap out the stock M11A1 trigger in favor of a P226 trigger which I personally find a lot more comfortable.

http://
    "Never pet a burning dog"

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I may be indifferent, given that I often carry a Kahr, but I do like hammer-fired handguns. Proper dress is important and with personal fitness, carry of a full-sized 1911 is easily done. A friend, all of 5'2" tall, carried a Springfield Armory 1911A1 IWB for years.

Another friend, not sure how tall he is (over 6 feet) carried a Desert Eagle in .50 AE for years and now carries an FN in .45, full sized, hammer-fired.