Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sure wish there were more hammer fired models to choose from

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I'm also looking at P229 and 226's. The M11-A1 would work though I haven't been able to find any in 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    I had no idea there were so many options available for the M11A1.
    The M11-A1 is a 9x19 Luger pistol, only. However, the M11-A1 accepts the P229 X-Change Kits--which means you can "convert" it to .357 Sig and/or .40 S&W, which is what I did. (I actually sent my pistol to Sig Inc for the Kit and OEM barrels--just in case any "fitting" would be required.)

IMHO, dressed as 9x19, the M11-A1 balances in the hand and carries much more nicely. However, I prefer the .357 Sig round, so I accept the heavier and wider slide of the X-Change Kit, which makes the M11-A1 a bit top-heavy (so, not as nicely balanced, IMHO).

The P229 actually was designed around the .40 S&W and .357 Sig rounds, so my M11-A1/P229 effortlessly shoots all three (9mm Luger, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W) calibers.

rx7sig

P.S. My .357 Sig CC/HD practice ammo is 125 gr. Speer GD LE. However, my .357 Sig CC/HD carry ammo is the much stouter 125 gr. Underwood GD.

Magnum Research 1911C in a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB on my hip lounging around the house this morning. Has been for the last week or so. New trigger for the CBob arrives today, so it might go back on the hip later. Or maybe the Wilson or the Remington.

Have a new one on the way that might work well for around the house, we'll see if it works out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

CZ’s with a manual safety instead of a decocker may be an option. There are various sizes too.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Some good iwb holsters are N8 Squared Tactical, now Crossbreed, and Alien Gear Super Tucks. The JM4 Tactical are not bad at all either.

Sig does make some SAO pistols with manual safeties, designed to be carried Condition 1 and are essentially the same manual of arms as a 1911. The P229, P226, and P220 are three of those, all in their Legion Series. I have a P229 SAO and it is a fine weapon with a very, very nice trigger. I do carry it, both iwb and owb. And your right on the money, the holster makes the difference. All the difference.

Oh, and Sig also makes some DAK guns which are DAO, but implemented in an usual way. Essentially first round is a 5.5lb long trigger pull, and there are two reset points. First reset puts the trigger at an 8.5lb, fairly long pull, but if you let the trigger all the way out it's once again a longer 5.5lb pull. No decocker, no safety. From what I've heard they take some getting used to. And practice.
    I have a P220 and P225 - neither has a manual safety. Trigger is DA for the first shot and SA thereafter. Of course you can manually cock before the first shot and make all SA. However neither can be carried "cocked and locked". I've never handled a P226, P228, or the new P65, but I didn't think any of them has a manual safety. Not sure of the P65 though.

HK's triggers work basically the same, but you can manually cock the pistol, set the safety, and have a "cocked and locked condition, just like a 1911.

I have tried a Crossbreed, but didn't like it. I've also tried 12 to 15 others but never found one comfortable. I'm 5' 11'' and weigh 150 - I don't have much padding.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I too prefer hammer fired pistols, but I find them all too large for CC unless I can cover a belt holster. ... It's just hard to find a better carry pistol than the Kahrs, so that's what I CC 99% of the time.
    Ironically, I was introduced to Kahr by someone on another gun forum when I was lamenting the fact that Sig doesn't offer a smaller, slimmer version of the M11-A1/P229, about a year after I purchased my M11-A1. (The fact that the M11-A1 shot 9x19 Luger so effortlessly suggested to me that a smaller, slimmer version should be extremely viable--especially if there wasn't a need for a double-stack magazine.)

When I researched the K9/K40, I was surprised that there wasn't more on-line buzz about them.

I purchased my K9 new a couple of months after I had researched them, and I've never looked back! I would have purchased it sooner, except I wrestled awhile with whether to purchase a K9 or a K40. I decided, finally, on the 9mm because that is what the Kahr was originally designed around, and because of the additional round. Still, I was extremely close to purchasing a new K40 just before the COVID-19 effect took hold. (The K9 shoots 124 gr. 9mm +P HP so effortlessly, the K40, too, must be a joy to shoot, no?)

Like you, @O'Dell, my Kahr is what I CC most often, despite its not having a hammer.

rx7sig

I have a P220 and P225 - neither has a manual safety. Trigger is DA for the first shot and SA thereafter. Of course you can manually cock before the first shot and make all SA. However neither can be carried "cocked and locked". I've never handled a P226, P228, or the new P65, but I didn't think any of them has a manual safety. Not sure of the P65 though.

HK's triggers work basically the same, but you can manually cock the pistol, set the safety, and have a "cocked and locked condition, just like a 1911.

I have tried a Crossbreed, but didn't like it. I've also tried 12 to 15 others but never found one comfortable. I'm 5' 11'' and weigh 150 - I don't have much padding.
    The P365 comes either way, with or without a manual safety. I would opt for the safety version although I would never put the safety on but it would be a good option for a lady or girlyman who carries a purse as an added precaution against purse ventilation.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The P365 comes either way, with or without a manual safety. I would opt for the safety version although I would never put the safety on but it would be a good option for a lady or girlyman who carries a purse as an added precaution against purse ventilation.
    I guess I qualify, Bawanna, since I prefer a manual safety. Maybe that would be my answer for CC - get a purse. It's probably because I grew up with Browning HP's and 1911's, both of which had safeties. I got use to swiping off the safety automatically and still do without thinking whether the pistol has one or not.
    Last edited by O'Dell; 08-07-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post

I purchased my K9 new a couple of months after I had researched them, and I've never looked back! I would have purchased it sooner, except I wrestled awhile with whether to purchase a K9 or a K40. I decided, finally, on the 9mm because that is what the Kahr was originally designed around, and because of the additional round. Still, I was extremely close to purchasing a new K40 just before the COVID-19 effect took hold. (The K9 shoots 124 gr. 9mm +P HP so effortlessly, the K40, too, must be a joy to shoot, no?)

Like you, @O'Dell, my Kahr is what I CC most often, despite its not having a hammer.

rx7sig
    I probably should have said 90%, but since this is the KAHR forum, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I do occasionally carry my Detonics 1911 45 or the S&W CS45. They are the smallest pistols I have after the Kahr PM9 and MK40.

Speaking of the MK40. It's my smallest gun, not the lightest though, and amazes me with it's accuracy and how well I shoot it. It's even better than the PM9. I think it must be the weight and balance.

I guess I quality, Bawanna, since I prefer a manual safety. Maybe that would be my answer for CC - get a purse. It's probably because I grew up with Browning HP's and 1911's, both of which had safeties. I got use to swiping off the safety automatically and still do without thinking whether the pistol has one or not.
    I prefer a manual safety myself just for the option. I'm a High Power and 1911 guy so all my guns get the safety swiped weather they have one or not.
    With the 365 it's not really needed since it has a Glock like trigger but to me still a nice option to have. And you certainly don't need to carry a purse to carry a 365 with a safety. I just figure there's more junk to hang up in a purse and bad things could happen. You put your hand in a ladies purse lately. My wife will say it's in my purse, I'll tell her you get it, I ain't sticking my hand in that thing and I don't have a week to search for it. No sirree. They taught us in cop school not to put your hand where you can't see, I'm sure they meant ladies purses....................
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

The Springfield Armory Hellcat has a Glock style trigger safety, the P365 does not. However, the P365 can be had with a thumb safety or converted to use a thumb safety (or vice versa). The safety consists of the levers (one piece), a spring and plunger plus a grip module cut for the safety.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>