CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellcat OSP with a Romeo Zero optic

Default Hellcat OSP with a Romeo Zero optic

I recently picked up a Hellcat OSP. I'd hoped to get one from the factory with a Shield SMSc sight already attached but it looked like that wasn't going to happen. One of my LGSs had the Sig Romeo Zero in stock so after confirming it would match the optic screw holes in the gun, I bought it. The screws are too long and must be shortened, (I used a fine file), or replaced with ones the correct length. The screws must be tight to work right. I've seen a video of someone who didn't bother to use the right length screws and his sight wobbled. Length is critical.

Although I've shot a rental previously, I've only been once to the range so far with mine and most of the shooting was to zero in the sights. One of the reasons I chose the Hellcat was the ability to retain the rear iron sights along with the optic and hence co-witness the two sights. With the bright yellow stock front sight and the blazing bright red dot the sights are very easy to pick up. Once dialed in I was able to shoot good groups at 7 to 15 yards.

I found the Hellcat to be reliable with one failure to lock back after the last round as my only issue. I shot two different brands of range ammo with 115 gr. bullets. I'll test some carry ammo next visit. Overall I am impressed. The gun has good grip characteristics, the sights are bright and redundant. Quick shooting is relatively easy and comparable to any small gun. The fact that it can hold 14 rounds in such a small package is amazing.

The Romeo Zero is quite small and matches the width of the gun. The sight turns off after two minutes if inactive then pops on immediately if moved. Battery life is good for well over a year and advertised as 20,000 hours. Fresh batteries come with a 10 year life span. I've ordered a holster made to accommodate the optic. At .4 ounces it adds little to the weight. My old eyes really take to these small optics. This one allows the exact same sight picture optic on or off.

The Hellcat is certainly worth a look see by anyone thinking of a new carry gun and/or adding an optic to a defensive gun. Here's mine...

Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I shot the Hellcat and found it to be a really nice pistol and great for carry purposes. The optic just adds to it's functionality.
    Wee see a lot of failure to return to battery issues with new small pistols. Lubrication and the use of a heavier bullet during break in and that issue is usually self correcting.
    You chose well.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Do you have to remove the sight to replace the battery on that one. Many require that, a few can be swapped out from above. It sure looks nice, the optic is pretty compact, should be a good set up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Do you have to remove the sight to replace the battery on that one. Many require that, a few can be swapped out from above. It sure looks nice, the optic is pretty compact, should be a good set up.
    The small button battery loads from the bottom.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Thanks for the very informative write up. So this makes me wonder why Kahr is sitting back watching a chunk of market share evaporate, or are they. Kahr was an innovative company and were kings of the pocket pistol. Are they working on a similar offering? In this climate they would make a killing. No pun intended.

Optics although around for many years now are still kind of a new frontier. Mostly aimed at full size gun for the majority. I know they are quite the rage now for LE and especially older officers with aging eyes. Many departments with big budgets are issuing guns equipped with optics.

This Hellcat is the first compact that I've seen that didn't look out of place with an optic. Personally I'd not opt for one on my Kahrs, kind of defeats the purpose and mission.

I bought my Canik solely for the purpose of playing with optics as it is optic ready, however I haven't put down the gold for the optic yet. Turns out it's a fantastic and wonderfully accurate pistol with or without optics. This was when our dept was heading towards the optics issue plan. Now of course it don't really matter to me unless they call me to come down and install a pile of optics, then it of course will matter.

I still want to try one on my Canik but the urgency is no longer there.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

What a coincidence to see this post today. Today my Holosun optic for my Hellcat got delivered, after waiting months to actually find one in stock. I can't comment much on the optic yet, but on paper it seems to have alot of good features, including side access to the battery so you don't have to remove it. As far as the Hellcat... Like Ripley, I just cant' get over something the size of my CM9 holds 12 rounds. I only have around 100 rounds through it, but no malfunctions yet.IMG_5442.jpgIMG_5441.jpg

How's the trigger on the Hellcat..??

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    How's the trigger on the Hellcat..??
    My experience is that it is usable out of the box. However, the Hellcat's trigger shows dramatic improvement (smoothness and weight) after installation of Powder River's trigger kit. I probably wouldn't own one without the trigger kit, YMMV.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

The trigger is flat, with a Glock like safety lever and has tiny serrations that give your finger secure purchase. The pull is about 1/2" long that hits a "wall" at the end, then a crisp break. It feels about 6 lbs or so to me but I have no means to measure it... just a guess. The reset is about 1/2 of the full stroke. Although it has a unique feel to me personally, I found it quick and easy to adapt to. With only 100 rounds of experience I was able to shoot some tight groups. I think most people would like the trigger.