Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A continuing CM40 follower problem

Default A continuing CM40 follower problem

This is not a rant. I’m looking for a solution to a 7 year problem with shattered magazine followers. I’ve just got off the phone with factory CS and the young man I spoke to seemed clueless. He seemed surprised at my claim and request for new followers. I was told they’re available for $11 each. I don’t think an answer will come from the factory so I’m appealing to this forum.

I have checked for clearance finding no contact between feed ramp and follower yet I’ve managed to destroy 3 more followers with factory ammo. Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem? Do the metal followers work? Does Kahr offer a metal replacement?

I'd recommend Lakeline, Al is a member here. His followers have a very good rep.

I suspect you do need more clearance between the feed ramp and the follower. This is a pretty common especially in the 40.
    Kahr should replace your broken ones, I've lost most of my inside contacts to address this kind of thing, I need to work on that I guess.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Bawanna. That was a fast response. I can open the gap further and see what happens. After all this time I won't mind the loss if it screws up even more. I'll google Lakeline.

Here's the link for Lakeline followers in .40: Metal Magazine Follower for .40 S&W Kahr
    I suggest getting one before working on the barrel. It's probable that your gun will mark/damage the metal follower, but it won't break it and it will give you an idea of where the contact is happening.
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...wers-chewed-up
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Excellent suggestion Greg, excellent indeed.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Two metal .40 followers were just ordered. At $46.10 I sure hope this corrects the problem. But, I'd rather pay money to a small business than throw away $22 on parts that you know will break. Too bad Kahr can't get this straight. I really like their little guns, but hesitate to buy another. Thanks all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by FelixD View Post
    Two metal .40 followers were just ordered. At $46.10 I sure hope this corrects the problem. But, I'd rather pay money to a small business than throw away $22 on parts that you know will break. Too bad Kahr can't get this straight. I really like their little guns, but hesitate to buy another. Thanks all for your help.
    Could you upload a pic of the area of the follower that pushes on the magazine catch? I thought I read somewhere that the older followers sometimes had issues with cracking because of the clearance. I don't remember if it was ever an issue on the 40, though. My 40's were purchased more recently and the metal insert in the follower is rectangular. I don't shoot them as much as my 45's so I can't speak of any long term issues.

I broke one factory follower on my CW40 and replaced it with a Lakeline a couple of years ago. I actually have Lakeline followers for my other two CW40 magazines, just haven't replaced them yet. The Lakeline did get dinged but I have not had an issue with it. Seems to have become self-relieved. The other two factory ones seem OK, but I'm sure it's not a matter of "if" they break but "when".

I received my Lakeline followers two days before their estimated arrival. The workmanship is impressive. I now understand why they are over $20 each.

Scott,

Ive taken pictures of what you requested, but can’t figure out how to post them. Any advice?

You must have 30 post before you can post direct, however you can post via a photo place like postimage, or tinypic, one of those places.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan