Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Makes me wonder....would being armed have made a difference?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Makes me wonder....would being armed have made a difference?

Story says he wasn't a stranger so might not have mattered....of course, if he knew she carried, might have been a deterrent or had he seen it on her side, might have deterred anyway....

I'll bet all she had was her god, that smartphone.

Yesterday, a friend and I had a long discussion/debate on the subject of being armed that stayed cordial, calm, and reasoned....she even seems to have changed her mind a little bit from a few chats ago. However, the thought of "being armed outside the home" clearly bothers her but she admitted if she was attacked, she'd pray a man with a gun came running in answer to her screams.

I don't see the rational of going about unprepared.......

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-a...ustody-reports

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Story says he wasn't a stranger so might not have mattered....of course, if he knew she carried, might have been a deterrent or had he seen it on her side, might have deterred anyway....

I'll bet all she had was her god, that smartphone.

Yesterday, a friend and I had a long discussion/debate on the subject of being armed that stayed cordial, calm, and reasoned....she even seems to have changed her mind a little bit from a few chats ago. However, the thought of "being armed outside the home" clearly bothers her but she admitted if she was attacked, she'd pray a man with a gun came running in answer to her screams.

I don't see the rational of going about unprepared.......

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-a...ustody-reports
    Did you know the victim?
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Did you know the victim?
    Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?
    Because of your disparaging comment about her phone. Many people carry smartphones without worshiping them, I'm asking if you have some personal insight/experience to the contrary in this particular instance.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Because of your disparaging comment about her phone. Many people carry smartphones without worshiping them, I'm asking if you have some personal insight/experience to the contrary in this particular instance.
    Oh you should hear me when I'm really going on about smartphones! I was a bit hard on her perhaps but I wonder if I was right.....do you think she had a smartphone? Maybe running with a set of earbuds in?

I wish smartphones had never come about. As if cell phones weren't addictive enough! And yes, these things are "gods" to far too many that have them and it's plain to see.

I read today how police have a confession.....local farmer with some relationship to the victim picked her up, then rape, murder, disposal---"usual routine" it seemed. So, does anyone think her being armed would have made a difference?

Berretabone,

I've run into that mentality many times....I think what it boils down to is that a certain segment of the population does not want to face the reality that bad things happen to good people. So they refuse to think about it. Some, like the man you told us about, give us rather odd excuses, which I doubt he'll remember giving if the worst happens. Further, if they have no means to resist, they are "letting themselves off the hook" of having the courage and will to resist. Kind of like a "don't try, can't fail" type of thing.

I carry on my person more than it seems most on even this forum do: flashlight, firearm (or two), reload(s), OC spray, pocketknife, hanky....but everything I carry I've either used or wished I'd had at some point. No smartphone to distract me, no earbuds to shut down my hearing. Head up and on a swivel whenever I can manage. Fortunately my wife-to-be is excited to carry and is already a good shot. She listened to me when I warned her of the dangers of using her phone while walking, at least, she said she did.

She wants to carry as soon as she gets here and she will. I might even let her carry a .380.
    Last edited by I_Like_Turtles; 08-26-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Oh you should hear me when I'm really going on about smartphones! I was a bit hard on her perhaps but I wonder if I was right.....do you think she had a smartphone? Maybe running with a set of earbuds in?

I wish smartphones had never come about. As if cell phones weren't addictive enough! And yes, these things are "gods" to far too many that have them and it's plain to see.

I read today how police have a confession.....local farmer with some relationship to the victim picked her up, then rape, murder, disposal---"usual routine" it seemed. So, does anyone think her being armed would have made a difference?

No thanks, I've no interest in hearing it. The reports I've read said her phone was found before they found her body (so far, I've not seen any mention of ear buds). That makes you correct about her having a phone with her, but how does that imply she worshiped it? So, I ask again, do you have personal knowledge of this woman or was the god thing just an assumption on your part?

Smartphones, like firearms, are just tools; how they are used depends upon the operator.

Many of us can't understand the rational of leaving the house unarmed/unprepared. Half of the country thinks like this. You will never change the other half's mind. I gave up a long time ago. I've said to a good friend of mine on numerous occasions, " You know, you live in the country, you have a large property. Someone could pull in to your drive at night and you wouldn't even know. They could come in to your house and because of your sleeping with a fan thing, you would never hear them. They could come right in and slit your ........and your wife's so easily. No one would get a description, or a plate number. I realize that it's just one scenario, but home invasions happen. In the country, they're even easier. You don't even own any type of firearm. You need to get with it. Look at how many strange people we have run in to when out hiking." The answer I'll get is, " Well, if it's my time, it's my time. I don't enjoy shooting guns. I did it with my father when younger and it just wasn't my thing. If someone is going to harm me while out hiking, I guess I'll just have to take my chances. I may get something for the house, but I just don't like to be forced to deal with firearms ". I've told him that he's being selfish because he has a wife to think about, and maybe she want's to stay alive. I told him that this was the major difference between him and I. I don't ever want to go out like that. I won't make it easy for anyone to try and take an advantage or try to physically harm me or my wife. I will go to the end. You, on the other hand would make it easy for some scumbag to do his dirty deed, and the odds of finding this person would be nil to none. Sorry, I just can't live like that. But he can and will. All you can do, is be prepared for yourself and loved one's, and if your a religious person, pray that nothing happens to others who aren't prepared for this sometimes cruel world. They prefer to not think about/ignore the issues out there and walk around in their little bubble. It's all that you can do, but you probably won't ever change their minds.

Ok, you leave the house and get caught with Rioter Terrorist. So what would be your weapon of choice. Watch the video's and see how the victim was able to take down a few of them and save his life. Also watch the video of the wound.

Complete pictorial and video.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-Kenosha.html

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Ok, you leave the house and get caught with Rioter Terrorist. So what would be your weapon of choice. Watch the video's and see how the victim was able to take down a few of them and save his life. Also watch the video of the wound.

Complete pictorial and video.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-Kenosha.html
    Charged with first degree murder.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Charged with first degree murder.
    Officer Chauvin is charged with "second degree murder" also and he'll be acquitted. That couple, the McCloskeys', that ran off a mob, has been charged but the governor has already promised they'll be pardoned. Charges really don't mean that much. This is a locale that allows looting and rioting to occur, of course they will charge anyone that dares stand up to their "useful mob." And that's what these punks are, "useful mobs," to help get Biden elected and to allow for more destruction of the Bill of Rights and more power to be gained by those mayors and governors.

But the lesson for us is, especially in light of the thread by the member who has just now decided to carry pepper spray....STAY OUT OF THIS MADNESS. Now if you are protecting your property, sure, but don't go out there, into the street, or try to go through a city one can expect allows this stuff. Don't put yourself at risk.
    Last edited by I_Like_Turtles; 08-26-2020 at 10:41 PM.