Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK9 and PM9 Info Needed!

Default MK9 and PM9 Info Needed!

Hi all, strongly considering a MK9 or PM9 (I'm in CA and both are currently on-roster with CA's DOJ).

Just a couple of noob questions...

a) What are the MK9 serial number designations with regards to grip, lasers, and spare part differences etc?

b) Do Mcarbo PM9 striker and striker block springs work in the MK9 too?

c) Anyone use the 18lb Wolf recoil spring?

I'm 66 with arthritis, so I might be interested in the lighter spring sets?

I'm hoping to get one used before the end of the year and need a little background info etc, and please point me at an info here that I should be reading etc, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by djd100 View Post
    Hi all, strongly considering a MK9 or PM9 (I'm in CA and both are currently on-roster with CA's DOJ).

Just a couple of noob questions...

a) What are the MK9 serial number designations with regards to grip, lasers, and spare part differences etc?

b) Do Mcarbo PM9 striker and striker block springs work in the MK9 too?

c) Anyone use the 18lb Wolf recoil spring?

I'm 66 with arthritis, so I might be interested in the lighter spring sets?

I'm hoping to get one used before the end of the year and need a little background info etc, and please point me at an info here that I should be reading etc, thanks!
    Welcome to the forums

To answer some of your questions:
    a) Kahr model numbers are explained on page three of the manual: https://www.kahr.com/PDF/Kahr-Manual-1295KMM.pdf
    Parts info (to include parts unique to different models) can be found here: https://www.kahr.com/PDF/Parts&Service-01205KMM.pdf

b) Yes, the MCARBO kit will work in both.

c) I haven't tired that spring

I think you would be best served finding a MK9 or PM9 that you can try manipulating before purchasing one.
    I'd also suggest giving a K9 or P9 some consideration. I find my slightly larger K9 or CW9 (both with single recoil springs) are "easier" to rack than my smaller MK9 or PM9 (both with double recoil springs).

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Welcome to the forums

To answer some of your questions:
    a) Kahr model numbers are explained on page three of the manual: https://www.kahr.com/PDF/Kahr-Manual-1295KMM.pdf
    Parts info (to include parts unique to different models) can be found here: https://www.kahr.com/PDF/Parts&Service-01205KMM.pdf

b) Yes, the MCARBO kit will work in both.

c) I haven't tired that spring

I think you would be best served finding a MK9 or PM9 that you can try manipulating before purchasing one.
    I'd also suggest giving a K9 or P9 some consideration. I find my slightly larger K9 or CW9 (both with single recoil springs) are "easier" to rack than my smaller MK9 or PM9 (both with double recoil springs).

Regards,
    Greg
    Thank you Greg, much appreciated!

My current pistols are a re-sprung vintage Beretta 1935 that is a bear to rack LOL (it was my Dad's), and a modified CZ SP01 which is easy by comparison, so I'm not hopeless at this age (yet) LOL!

I wish I could find either one locally but alas none are available at this time (pandemic, and everything sold out etc), but I do have out of state friends who swear by the MK/PM's, so in the interests of getting one while they're still legal here in CA I'm going to purchase blind before the end of the year and hope for the best. I also noticed that someone makes a poly slide back-plate with small extensions for the PM if need be, though again, at this stage I doubt I'll have a problem.

I did read that the grips changed on the MK9 series between early and later models? I'll contact Kahr and see what they can tell me.

Thanks again for the great info and welcome!

Doug

The MK9 grips that Kahr and Lakeline LLC currently offer will not fit on MK9s with a "GA" serial prefix. To my knowledge, this also applies to the two tone MK9 Limited guns (serial numbers start with "LTD").
    There is a difference at the top grip screws:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

. . . in the interests of getting one while they're still legal here in CA I'm going to purchase blind before the end of the year and hope for the best. I also noticed that someone makes a poly slide back-plate with small extensions for the PM if need be, though again, at this stage I doubt I'll have a problem.
    I'm in California, and the roster threat has motivated some of my purchases, too.
    Get both
    A little patience on Gunbroker made the pair about as affordable as buying just one from retail. I preferred the look of the old-style, squared-off PM9 slide, but chose the newer, tapered style because I thought a newer model would improve my odds of avoiding problems. There's always the concern about buying someone else's problem, but these both run great and are a delight to own and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    The MK9 grips that Kahr and Lakeline LLC currently offer will not fit on MK9s with a "GA" serial prefix. To my knowledge, this also applies to the two tone MK9 Limited guns (serial numbers start with "LTD").
    There is a difference at the top grip screws:

Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks Greg, just what I needed, though events have changed and tomorrow it looks like I'm purchasing a all black PM9 from a local, so I get to see it before buying etc. I'm lucky one has come up for sale locally here as I had been looking at buying out of state and paying shipping, then getting someone willing to ship to CA which requires an extra step for out of state FFL's, plus tax and PPT/DROS yada yada, so when this one popped up yesterday I snapped it up (assuming it passes in person inspection?), plus I'm doing the PPT at the same place I did for my CZ SP01 a few years back and it's a large store rather than my usual FFL's tiny little office space (better for my COVID-19 exposure etc).

Excited, hoping it's in decent shape though I plan on re-springing it going forward, though not yet sure to go stock or Mcarbo for Striker Block and Striker, Wolf 18lb or 20lb for the recoil, need to spend some time learning the trigger (though I do shoot my CZ DA regularly so I'm in the ballpark hopefully?), and get a Lasermax Laser for it ASAP (plus a real cleaning and lube etc).

Thanks for the help, will update soon, and perhaps start a new thread etc.

Hello djd100 and welcome to Kahrtalk....I think you are making a good choice with the PM9 if it's in good shape.... The MK9 pistols and the all steel Kahr guns are works of art and beautiful but come with a down side, and that is weight....A MK9 can be carried CCW but it needs a good holster.....I carry my PM9 everywhere I go in a pocket holster and hardly notice the weight, it's reliable and accurate for it's size and in my opinion is the absolute best micro 9mm you can carry....

The long trigger takes some getting used to but once you shoot it a bit you will come to love it....When you get it home give it a good cleaning then go shoot it before doing anything to it and see what happens....As far as replacement springs go, just call Kahr and request a factory RSA and you will be good to go....The only after market parts I would suggest are replacement magazine followers from Lakeline...Alfonse is a member here and makes a great product which will improve feeding and reliability....Good luck with the PM9 and let us know how it shoots....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Hello djd100 and welcome to Kahrtalk....I think you are making a good choice with the PM9 if it's in good shape.... The MK9 pistols and the all steel Kahr guns are works of art and beautiful but come with a down side, and that is weight....A MK9 can be carried CCW but it needs a good holster.....I carry my PM9 everywhere I go in a pocket holster and hardly notice the weight, it's reliable and accurate for it's size and in my opinion is the absolute best micro 9mm you can carry....

The long trigger takes some getting used to but once you shoot it a bit you will come to love it....When you get it home give it a good cleaning then go shoot it before doing anything to it and see what happens....As far as replacement springs go, just call Kahr and request a factory RSA and you will be good to go....The only after market parts I would suggest are replacement magazine followers from Lakeline...Alfonse is a member here and makes a great product which will improve feeding and reliability....Good luck with the PM9 and let us know how it shoots....
    Thank you getsome, and yes, I have a antique Beretta 1935 that is just about the same size and weight as the MK9, and I tried pocket carry with it vs a 16oz can of beans, and I could certainly feel the difference, so yes, the PM9 is better in that role no doubt.

I do shoot my CZ SP01 DA a lot for practice (as well as SA etc), so hopefully my familiarity with it's DA trigger pull will allow me to bond with the PM9's trigger quickly.

Looking forward to buying the PM9 tomorrow, then waiting while it's in jail for however long that will be as the CA DOJ is slow I've been told due to the pandemic, as well as the number of new gun owners purchasing etc (supposed to be 10 days, but probably longer I've heard...).

Will report back, and thanks all for the info everyone, much appreciated!

Good news, the black PM9 was clean, and aside from some wear on the mag followers was in beautiful condition (unknown round count as I'm the third owner, and the second said he only shot 50 rounds, though the first owner's round count is unknown).

Two of the three mags last round held open fine, one was 50%, though this was with me hand cycling snap-caps as the in-door range was closed due to COVID. As I understand it the Kahr's are hard on mag followers? I had no problem cycling it with the recoil spring as is.

I got a couple of IWB holsters, the optional night-sights, a grip wrap, and a couple of Pearce mag base extensions along with it, plus the factory case and manual etc, so cool!

Too bad I had to buy another lock for $10.00 though, I have a bunch of them now LOL!

Of note, the PPT FFL which was a large sporting goods store said they've sold more hand guns since the pandemic started in March than they did all of last year, and they were sold out of just about everything excepting some big bore revolvers and a few M&P Shields (this in the SF CA Bay Area).

Ok, now I wait, though the FFL did say the CA DOJ was all caught up, and that it should be an actual 10 days rather than something greater than that when they were backed up.

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated!
    Last edited by djd100; 08-28-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Of note, the PPT FFL which was a large sporting goods store said they've sold more hand guns since the pandemic started in March than they did all of last year, and they were sold out of just about everything excepting some big bore revolvers and a few M&P Shields (this in the SF CA Bay Area).
    I'm in the South Bay, and the hand gun sales news is indeed welcome. Let's hope the winds of change are blowing for 2nd amendment support here in this blue, blue region.
    And if you'd ever like to try out an MK9, ping me when the ranges re-open.