Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: Will a CT-9 (3.9") barrel fit in a P9?

Default Will a CT-9 (3.9") barrel fit in a P9?

Do all Kahr's polymer 9mm guns have the same internal design?
    For example, will a CT-9 barrel fit in a P9?

Bought an aftermarket Kahr threaded barrel. Fits both my TP9 and CW9. Now I am using the threaded barrel in my TP9 and the TP9 barrel in my CW9.

Quote Originally Posted by kwh View Post
    Bought an aftermarket Kahr threaded barrel. Fits both my TP9 and CW9. Now I am using the threaded barrel in my TP9 and the TP9 barrel in my CW9.
    Did you have to do any custom fitting? (When it was on their website, it said some fitting might be required.)

No. 100% function.

No. 100% function.
    Since no hand-fitting was required, how is the accuracy? As good as with the barrel that came with the gun?

My original intent was to have a longer barrel for my CW9 to help insure defensive ammo performance. I found a threaded barrel for sale by one of the Forum members. Removed the original CW groove & land barrel and replaced it with the longer threaded polygonal barrel. Longer barrel length did not interfere with ability to carry in holster. However, for one holster I was not able to leave the threaded barrel nut on due to holster rub.
    Function was fine,I did not pay much attention to accuracy. I would have to try to bench rest to see if there was any difference. I do not have a chronograph. I saw no practical difference in accuracy.
    The CW9 barrel will not drop into the CM9 pistol.
    I later purchased a used TP9 (nice). Switched barrels with CW9. The TP9 now wears the threaded barrel and the CW9 wears the TP9 barrel Both are polygonal barrels.
    My CM9 works great for ankle and pocket carry. I am able to walk 2 miles comfortably with my ankle holster.( My usual go to Church walk.) Kydex pocket holster with push off thumb tab works great with Dockers. Dress pants too lightweight & Jeans too tight a pocket. Federal HST ammo> Good reviews with shorter barrel.
    With longer barrels I am not too particular which quality ammo I use. However I use the same HST for all my Kahrs and have a good pre-Covid supply.
    CW9 with IWB PJ kydex holster= light and comfortable.
    When the mood suits I have an OWB leather holster that fits both CW9 & CM9.
    TP9 with Trijicon night sights rides in a beautiful IWB handmade Nelson leather holster (Lenoir N.C.). Used this set-up for a pre-covid intermediate self-defense course.
    What is your reason for a different (new) barrel?

What is your reason for a different (new) barrel?
    I believe I can carry the longer 4.5" threaded barrel in my CT-9 without sacrificing comfort or concealability. I expect it would give me slightly better ballistics and shootability. The Kahr website no longer shows them; I phoned and they said they expect to offer it again in a few months -- they just don't have any in stock at the moment and don't want customers to be frustrated with a long wait after ordering.

I figure it would be even better if the old CT-9 barrel would work in my old P-9 Covert (short grip) to give the back-up pocket gun a slightly longer barrel as well. (I might need a tailor to deepen the pockets and construct my own pocket holster, but I like the idea of a pocket gun with a 4" barrel.)

Your reasons for the barrel lengths are the same thoughts as mine.
    I have carried a CM9 pocket holster for years. Working days were spent indoors on my feet with a lab coat and walking 2 miles to and from work . Pocket carry was ideal for me. I wore Chinos and Dockers. Pockets are perfect size.
    Today I tried my CW9 with CT length barrel in my simple rough-out "clam-shell" thin leather pocket holster. Fit in Docker pocket is fine. Smooth draw.
    My TP9 with threaded barrel fit pocket OK, draw not quite as smooth. imho CT/TP9 longer barrel size will work, but pistol is over size for pocket.
    The length of the barrels made no difference in pocket fit.
    My thoughts on Kahr pocket carry: the longer barrel length makes no difference; height of the grip does. This applies only to Dockers/Chinos pockets.

Absolutely!!!

I have put a TP9 on CW9 and P9 frames. Out of the 3 9mm hybrids only one required a small amount of hand fitting.

Kahr should pay attention to this.

I always prefer a longed barrel/slide on a compact frame.

Swamper