Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I like Lowes

I've thought about open carry only because some folks I respect advocate it, and here's where I came out: I disagree with them.
    Open carry is advertising (yes, it is.) For LEOs and similar that makes sense because you want everyone good and bad to know you're armed. Your job is to keep peace and protect everyone and this is one of the ways you let the public know you're prepared to do it. In a bad situation, people will rightly expect you to respond.
    That's not my job, and its not why I carry. My gun is a personal tool to protect me and mine. In a given situation I'll use it or not depending on all the circumstances, but its strictly my decision to make at the time. I don't want to create any expectation or implicit obligation. In fact I can't think of anything positive that would come from drawing attention to the fact that I'm armed. It might make some people feel nervous and others feel safer, but neither of those is my goal.
    Not all open carry people are exhibitionists. Advocates I respect are motivated by a desire to move society to a place where open carry is normal and unremarkable. I just don't see it happening and I'm not even sure it should happen. If you know me well enough, you'll know I'm armed, and its nobody else's business.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

About the only unarguable, proper time, and purpose I see for open carry is at a Rights Rally, to advocate the Right to do so. Never to intimidate, nor brandish, nor to warn, nor to show off, or for any valid reason that I can think of. Because when you get down to it, with the proper clothing, holster, and practice you can carry concealed just as comfortably while being just as prepared to defend yourself, as you could while open carrying.

Turtles you might want to think about the fact that some people carry openly in order to show others how cool they are, and to consciouly project an image of "toughness", in such a way and to such a degree that it amuses some, causes disdain, and in some cases fear. I don't believe you are one of those people but because you're doing the very same thing (open carrying), in the minds of some people that see you, you may be just another one of "those" guys. Who, at their worst can actually be potentially harmful to the 2A. And, whether you want to admit it or not (you haven't thus far), you give up any tactical advantage that you may have by letting your potential enemy know you, while hiding their own threat from you.

Open carry by civilians to remind politicians and gun control advocates that we have a Right to do so is needed, called for, and appropriate when done at the right time, in the right place, and in the right way. Aside from that it's mostly pointless and/or self-serving.

Turtles, you're asking me to do what would end up being a very minimal amount of work to prove my points with your own words. I'm not going to go thru the exercise because you've done every one of those things in this very thread. So, why should I cut, paste, edit and put all these points in one post when they are already here? You're going to refute it all anyway.

One point I will make though. "Worldview" has nothing to do with physically where you have been in the world. It has everything to do with your mindset and how you perceive the world around you, and most importantly how you project that mindset. I suggest you google "narrow worldview".

Of course it doesn't apply to you and I'm wrong. <--this is me being sarcastic.

Mutt & Jeff here strutting into an Austin restaurant several years ago during the OC movement didn’t make a very good impression on the locals as far as projecting any positive images of responsible gun owners...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Just to be clear, I completely advocate open carry being legal even though I never do it and never will. It just helps if I have a wardrobe malfunction and my gun plays peek a boo. Open carry legality makes that fine and dandy.

Without open carry and with a narrow minded officer on a bad day, that's brandishing if the right little old lady makes the man or in my case derelict with a gun call.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Mutt & Jeff here strutting into an Austin restaurant several years ago during the OC movement didn’t make a very good impression on the locals as far as projecting any positive images of responsible gun owners...
    Those guys don't present themselves as positive and responsible people, even without guns.

Walking around with large amounts of cash sticking out of your pocket is perfectly legal, but not recommended for similar reasons why open carry is not recommended.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Testosterone + IQ eq. 12 = Stupid. I was actually surprised that they got dressed up for the occasion.......................................... ............

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Just to be clear, I completely advocate open carry being legal even though I never do it and never will. It just helps if I have a wardrobe malfunction and my gun plays peek a boo. Open carry legality makes that fine and dandy.

Without open carry and with a narrow minded officer on a bad day, that's brandishing if the right little old lady makes the man or in my case derelict with a gun call.
    Exactly!

That is the only reason I was in full support of open carry when it came to Texas.
    Thanks for saying it first Bawanna.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post

My same thoughts on OC.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I guess this guy doesn't understand the concept of concealed carry. Or at least he didn't. I'd guess he's better informed now. And will learn even more as the charges develop. And the pain increases.

https://komonews.com/news/local/oreg...ocery-checkout