Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights

Thread: P40 Slide/Rack and other items

Default P40 Slide/Rack and other items

Hello all, 1 post but I did try to do a search prior to posting. I have had a P40 for some time. It has the squared off front slide and I know the new ones are angled some. I bought it new so it's at least 15 years old. I have fired several hundred rounds with no functional issues. Here are some of the items I dislike about this pistol:
    1) The slide is difficult to pulls back. I thought maybe a stiff spring that would loosen up over time but doesn't appear to be happening
    2) I don't appear to be able to rack the slide to load a round. IE. unload chamber, inset magazine, rack the slide to load the chamber. I have to pull the slide back and lock, insert the mag then, with difficulty, hit the slide release. If I just pull the slide back and release, it doesn't seat the bullet in the chamber completely.
    3) The side pin is very difficult to remove to disassemble the pistol.
    4) .40 cal is very "snappy" on the wrist. Not a Kahr issue as I hear that with all compact .40s.
    Any tricks to reduce or eliminate any of the above items? Thanks in advance for your support.

Welcome! The springs will loosen up some. Maybe you need to go shoot some more. In all seriousness though, a lot of folks have trouble racking the Kahrs. As to point 2. The manuals for Kahr pistols recommend chambering the first round exactly the way you've found is necessary. Lock the slide back, insert a mag, and release the slide with the slide lock. Often, after everything is broken in thoroughly, you can sling shot it like you want to being careful not to ride the slide. Some of the slide pins can be difficult to remove. With the exception of my K9 I can push out the pin with my finger. For the K9, I use the wooden handle of an old screwdriver I have hanging around and tap it out. I'm sure others will be along shortly with their own ideas.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Agreed they are challenging to rack, sometimes different grip approaches can help with that.

The newer style followers or the ones from Lakeline seem to help considerable chambering that first round. Many can ease the slide closed and chamber a round. Greg here long ago reprofiled his removing the little hump in the follower and they feed much nicer. I suspect that's where the new style followers concept originated. Kahr does recommend loading from slide lock but I believe this is because people often ride the slide or don't get the slide fully pulled to the rear. If done properly and perhaps with "gusto" they will chamber every time.

As for the pin, I use a little soft face hammer, line up the notches or the lever and give it a little tap, once it makes that initial pop, it's easy after that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Topgun and Bawanna.

Several hundred rounds in these guns is nothing. The slides are tough to rack, but with a 1000 rounds or so they may loosen up ever so slightly. 4 Kahrs and on only one does the pin come out easily.

It's too bad this P40 takes so long to break in. I purchased this on the recommendation of an LEO when I was going thru my 1st CWP training. I recently (few years ago) purchased a S&W Shield 45 that is less "snappy" to shoot and much easier to rack and dismantle to clean. I find myself utilizing the Shield much more than the P40.

Lakeline LLC offers a charging handle that makes it easier for some folks to manipulate the slide.
    It's listed as "Kahr 9mm Charging Handle" but it's been my experience that the slide back plate is interchangeable between the 9 and 40 poly Kahr pistols:
    https://lakelinellc.com/shop/kahr-9mm-charging-handle/
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by eruby View Post
    Hello all, 1 post but I did try to do a search prior to posting. I have had a P40 for some time. It has the squared off front slide and I know the new ones are angled some. I bought it new so it's at least 15 years old. I have fired several hundred rounds with no functional issues. Here are some of the items I dislike about this pistol:
    1) The slide is difficult to pulls back. I thought maybe a stiff spring that would loosen up over time but doesn't appear to be happening
    2) I don't appear to be able to rack the slide to load a round. IE. unload chamber, inset magazine, rack the slide to load the chamber. I have to pull the slide back and lock, insert the mag then, with difficulty, hit the slide release. If I just pull the slide back and release, it doesn't seat the bullet in the chamber completely.
    3) The side pin is very difficult to remove to disassemble the pistol.
    4) .40 cal is very "snappy" on the wrist. Not a Kahr issue as I hear that with all compact .40s.
    Any tricks to reduce or eliminate any of the above items? Thanks in advance for your support.
    I have a CW40 and T40, both bought new. The CW40 is pretty close to your P40. The following is just my opinion (suggestions are in the second half of the post)...

MY OPINIONS:

1. Although the slide on my CW40 is easier to rack than my PM45, it still isn't as easy as my full size pistols. Unfortunately, it's my belief that in order to get the firearm to that size, it is necessary. My father has inquired about my Kahr's on numerous occasions, but he also has trouble manipulating the slides: one, because everything is smaller than the 1911 he trained with, and two because arthritis affects the palm of his hand. I could mention a technique that is stronger than the overhand for racking if you like (I'll add suggestions in the second half of the post), but if you require an easier slide, the Kahr might not be your best option. As the spring wears in, the recoil might be more punchy... I try to replace the recoil spring or assembly under 2k rounds on my Kahrs (another nature of the beast).

2. The Kahr's owner's manual, IIRC, specifically states to use the slide release for loading the firearm. However, in my experience, after break in (and getting used to the heavy spring) one can use the overhand rack to rechamber a round.

3. I haven't had an issue with removing the slide pin on the newer Kahr's. However, my 20 year old Kahr K9 requires the handle of a screwdriver to get it past the retention breaking point. It also could be that you are not used to it, and that it might get a little easier after you do it a couple times. I don't know if they redesigned this area in the newer guns. I think they did on the K9 some time back. No, it will never disassemble as easily as some of the larger firearms with easier takedown designs. Again, it's the nature of the beast with making something that small for shooting 9/40/45.

4. I've shot the CW40, T40, Glock G23, Sig P229 Nit Compact, and a FS S&W M2.0 in 40 S&W. In order of snapiness, muzzle flip, recoil, etc. (first being the highest), I would rate it as the CW40, G23, P229, T40, and M2.0. The FS M2.0 firing 40 feels like my FNX9 shooting 9mm +P Rem HTP (IMO, Rem HTP 9mm+P is on the lower power side of other 9mm+P options). The slim grip of the CW40 accentuates the recoil, IMO. The slightly wider frame and weight of my PM45 and CW45 make the 45ACP +P recoil feel slightly less than when shooting the CW40, even though the 45+P ammo I shoot is more powerful than the 40 S&W ammo I shoot, YMMV. In all honesty, during winter I often carry a 2.75" K frame 357 magnum (Pachmayr grips) which I feel is more comfortable to shoot than my CW40; firing (357 Mag) Rem UMC & HTP, Horn CDef, Barners XPD, Sig V-Crn, and Magtech vs (40 S&W) Horn CDef, AE FMJ, and WWB JHP. However, it is a much wider grip, and a much heavier and larger firearm.

I had considered getting a K40 (might still if finances get better), but rather just stick with my 45's for the foreseeable future. You might have to test out a few guns to find that sweet spot that works for you that encompasses size, weight, capacity, caliber, and ease of use.

SUGGESTIONS:

If you want to experiment with different things that may help you with the P40 (although that is time and money you might spend on another firearm, ammo, holsters, and range time), I might suggest trying the following:

1. Racking the slide... Please, let me give you a little backstory. When watching my father rack the slide the older way (60's Army), he uses the slingshot method... but it's not the slingshot method every one describes when they say how it doesn't work as well as the overhand. Basically it's the same palm and fingers grip PLUS thumb. Therefore it should offer more leverage than the overhand technique (and has so when I tried it). I use overhand, but I don't have issues using overhand with my Kahr's. Use what works for you.

Basically, with the firearm pointing in a safe direction, take your palm and fingers hold (like with the overhand), but flip your support hand the other way, and add your thumb. Your palm should be at the back half of the slide and your thumb will be along it and under the ejection port. This gives more grip area and even more strength than the overhand hold. Also, make sure if you try racking in a round that you are not easing the slide back AT ALL. This is problematic if done on many firearms.

2. When you lube your firearm, dab a small amount of oil on the area of the slide release that contacts the slide.

3. Any bulbous, soft object (like the plastic/rubber handle of a screwdriver) can help initiate pushing the slide pin out for disassembly. I only need to do this for my K9, but maybe the P40 will loosen up the more you do this.

4. Regarding recoil management, always try to hold the firearm as high up as possible. Additionally, you could try a couple different Hogue Handalls (or whatever brand you prefer). I've tried the Hogue Beavertail Grip Sleeve, a Handall Jr., and the Handall Tactical Grip for compacts (I don't like using grip sleeves on carry guns, but I wanted to experiment with them for the CW40 specifically). Of these three, the beavertail seemed to offer the most relief to the web of the hand during recoil, but I prefer the Tactical Grip Compact sleeve. With the Tactical Grip Compact Handall (full 3 fingers) I had to cut the mag catch area (opposite side of thumb) and the bottom to fit the CW40, but it is very comfortable to hold.

Additionally, my CW40 takes more concentration from me to get the same accuracy when shooting strings than any of my other firearms, including the T40. It is me, as others on here have stated the opposite. When ammo supply is back to normal, I plan on revisiting this firearm. In the meantime, my most carried are my Kahrs in 45.

I know these pistols are harder than normal to rack, but it helps to keep them well lubed. I have never had a real problem, but I ended up buying Vickie a 380 because she could not rack anything larger.

As far as the 40 cal S&W round is concerned, I am rethinking the 40 vs 45 round. I only have three 40's, MK40, CW40, and an HK USP 40, but I shoot these well and my accuracy is better than any other pistols I own. These include eleven 45's and one 9mm.

Thanks Scott and all the rest for your info and suggestions.