Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Slide Stop Question?

Default PM9 Slide Stop Question?

Speaking of Slide Stops, my new to me PM9 (unknown round count, though it looks to be pretty new?), locks back ok, but I notice that I can push the slide stop after it's locked back on it's own, up another 1/16" or so, is this a feature or a bug?

I have cleaned and lubed, but only dry fired with snap caps and hand cycled so far as our local indoor ranges are closed due to COVID, and the outdoors ranges are near/in fire zones with bad AQI.

Thx!

Doug

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

It may loosen up, but it could also be that your mag spring is weak. Or it could be that your follower is partially broken, examine it closely.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    It may loosen up, but it could also be that your mag spring is weak. Or it could be that your follower is partially broken, examine it closely.
    Thank you dao, appreciate the help.

All three mags behave the same, so I'm thinking it's just tight, so I'll put some rounds down range when I can, and prior to that I'll continue to work it manually with leather gloves LOL!

Any thoughts on how the MagGuts or Lakeline followers would effect this?

Depends on what's going on with your gun. The Lakeline followers are metal so they won't break. But if there's something hanging up on the gun itself then neither the mag nor the follower is guaranteed to affect it. Put an empty mag in the gun lock the slide back and look closely at the moving parts, and what happens to them when you move it that last 1/16". Does the follower rise along with the stop? What's hanging the stop up? Are there any burrs? Does something need to be stoned or otherwise smoothed? It's got to be something

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Depends on what's going on with your gun. The Lakeline followers are metal so they won't break. But if there's something hanging up on the gun itself then neither the mag nor the follower is guaranteed to affect it. Put an empty mag in the gun lock the slide back and look closely at the moving parts, and what happens to them when you move it that last 1/16". Does the follower rise along with the stop? What's hanging the stop up? Are there any burrs? Does something need to be stoned or otherwise smoothed? It's got to be something
    Thanks again dao, much appreciated!

Ok, tested some more and the issue is this, the mags don't seat high enough to push the slide lock to it's maximum upwards position.

Here's the way all of the three mags normally sit when inserted...

...and if I push up on the mag like this, then the slide lock goes all the way up...

Again, while manually cycling snap caps it does hold open on last round, but I can still push the slide lock further up with my thumb etc.

Also, again, I haven't had a chance to try it with live ammo yet, soon I hope.

So, my only question is the normal mag location on mine typical of these, or do I have a problem with my mag release or the mags?

TIA!

Doug

Your mags look normal. Or I should say the gap looks normal. What I would do at this point is to run the gun while making sure your thumb is well away from the slide stop and see if the slide locks back. I have a feeling it will. If so, keep on running it, and enjoying it. Good luck. And welcome to the board!

I believe your gun is truly fine and normal. The extra movement in that lever is to allow for exactly what you demonstrated. When you seat the mag it goes up flush to insure it locks in. The lever has to be able to move up that distance which appears about equal to the gap in the magazine frame which is also normal.

Only live fire will tell for sure but I think your really good to go.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the help, and glad to be here (was looking for either a PM9 or MK9 out here on the west coast for a while)!

Quote Originally Posted by djd100 View Post
    Here's the way all of the three mags normally sit when inserted...
    You could always sand a tiny bit from either the mag bottom's top side or the frame's handle bottom if you suspect it isn't going up high enough. I had to do that to one of my 7 round magazine for my S9.

See http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=395737

He posted a pic that showed the typical gap between the grip bottom and the mag. The mag is going up as far as it was designed, and I think the Colonel hit the nail on the head as far as the reason goes. He'll probably learn that all is good when he gets the gun to the range and runs it.
    I remember The Yankee Marshall saying that his OCD prevented him from "accepting" the gap and he eventually sold his Kahrs I think. It is rather unsightly but only if a person focuses on it and just can't ignore it. Thankfully I'm able to.