Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 141 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1759

Thread: Come Into Bawanna's Famous Grip Emporium

I just finished up a set of grips with the first batch, I'll go take a picture.

I got another batch in the vacuum as we speak and I suspect it will come out different. Found that if I left the pump running the bubbles continue. Started at 11:15 now 3:00 and still bubbling so I'll leave it till the bubbles stop. Then let it set over night and start cooking tomorrow.

I suspect there will be a better penetration. I assumed since the vacuum pressure remained high it was still doing it's thing but leaving the pump running which it is designed to do it keeps adding the pressure I guess. Maybe it is rocket science.

I'll go take a picture.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm pleased with the look and it added a bunch of stability. Unlike the good stabilized wood I've gotten in the past which I believe is an epoxy based resin, this stuff does not fill voids. In this case that's fine as there were no voids and I picked wood accordingly.
    The epoxy based stuff will not take oil or anything, all you do is buff it on a polishing wheel. Doesn't seem to work with this stuff. It took oil which really brought out the colors.
    That is fine by me if they are durable and not brittle.
    Again I think this next batch of wood will be different. Might be a whole new scenario if I'm finally doing it exactly right. I know I didn't sweat as much doing it today but the day ain't over yet.

To be continued.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I really like the way those grips came out! If you don't like them and are thinking of tossing them, I have a special rejected wood projects area that I can put them in for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    I really like the way those grips came out! If you don't like them and are thinking of tossing them, I have a special rejected wood projects area that I can put them in for you.
    I'll refine them a little bit and send them to you. You can be a product tester. I think they are going to be alright but no way to know until time goes by and they get shot.

Had one set I made from some stabilized wood given to me. Actually made them for our highly respected Admin JohnH. Fortunately for some reason I put them on my gun and shot them before I sent them. First shot they cracked in half right between the screws. Too brittle.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Just unwrapped another batch out of the foil.

I wiped it down a lot more than the first batch but still quite a bit of excess on the outside. Easily off with the belt sander.

Threw in some pieces for pen blanks to see how the stuff spins.

Starting to get a bit organized but really need to toss a bunch of stuff. Nice this time of year, not cold and only a bit warm. Nice.

On first observation I don't see a lot of difference in the end result even though this vacuumed for like 6 hours bubbling the whole time and cooked for 3 plus. I'll know more when I work it some and see how the inside acts. Still isn't sealed and hence impervious to oil, water, etc. Does seem much harder and heavier so definitely benefits.

The saga continues.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I don't see how this treatment could make wood impervious to oil and water. It will fill the pores through and through, but it would still have wood fiber. As far as I know, wood fiber must be coated with something to become impervious. The oil or water would not saturate into the pores like untreated wood though. Can a thin layer of cactus juice be applied to a finished product and then baked again?

Good thought on the coating and baking, not sure. I'm thinking it probably wouldn't work though as after it comes out of the foil, excess remains on the surface and it's kind of like plastic. It's like water to start with. I'll try a piece just for grins sometimes and see what it does.

The epoxy based stabilized wood is completely impervious. You can weigh it down in water and it will take water but take it out and all the water will drain out. You can't stain or oil it as it won't penetrate. Different process, not sure how it's done, no doubt much more complicated and expensive than this.

This should work fine for my purposes. As long as it doesn't end up brittle and prone to cracking which it doesn't seem to do so far.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I love to try it on a bowl, but it would take a pretty big vacuum pot and a toaster oven would never do for the baking. Not sure I would want to risk a mess in my oven.

They strongly discourage using the kitchen oven even if the wife is out of town. A bigger pot and a oven out in the shop would be nice. Course it would take a lot more Cactus Juice which is not cheap I found out. Thought I'd order another jug so I could try clear and another color. I'll have to save up for a bit.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I'll be more than happy to be the test dummy to test out your grips. I need to get the wife out shooting her Sig 238 and the .30-30 for the upcoming hunting season. Thank you very much!