Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloaders?

Default Reloaders?

Hello Everyone!

How many of you folks reload and can a big savings be expected by reloading 9mm and .380acp rounds? Also, do you have much trouble getting all of the supplies for it or are they readily available even during these ammo shortages?

Thanks,
    Ralph

I would say it would take a long time to recoup the cost of a reloading setup loading 9mm. I have no use for 380 but it's generally more expensive in these parts.

I've not recently shopped for components but I suspect just like ammo, people are stocking up.

Reloading is or can be an enjoyable pastime regardless of the savings though, kind of a way to play with gun stuff without leaving the house. Also never bad as a back up plan in case ammo becomes totally unavailable.

Probably didn't help much huh?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Primers seem to be in very short supply right now

although I don't shoot my 9mm Kahr often, I do still reload for it. Considering the cost (pre-political crap era) of primers, bullets and powder (very abundant free pick-up brass), the reloads may have been a buck or two cheaper than factory target ammunition. No where near being able to justify purchasing even the most basic of reloading tools, and/or the time involved in hand loading 9 mm.

I do load for and shoot a lot of 30-30 win, mostly cast boolits, and really don't save a tremendous amount of money if I were buying the least expensive commercial offerings. Reloading does let me shoot the cast boolits I want, and tailor the loads to my preferences. I can cut the monetary cost down on the higher velocity jacketed rounds (by reloading) to the tune of about 30% (or much more due to current circumstances).

My biggest savings, which I understood in 2011 when jumping into the "roll your own" crowd, is in loading .357 mag, .44 mag and to some extent .45 auto. The magnum rounds can be loaded, to your own preferences (what your gun likes) for as much as 50% savings, if not more.

Unfortunately, when commercial ammunition supplies are really stressed/depleted, reloading components become as scarce as Fairy Dust and Unicorn Turds. So, regardless of whether you reload or not, you still have to stock up before the crunch hits.

Yeah, you can convince yourself that you've become independent by loading your own, and saved an enormous amount of money ..... but ......

just my rookie experience talking

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I agree completely with Mr. Surveyor. I haven't had to load for a few years as I had access to dept ammo, but of course that's no longer the case.
    I primarily loaded 45, in years past I loaded 30-30, 44 and 357/38 quite a bit.
    The key take from his post is you need to get geared up when things are normal (if we ever see that again). Now isn't an ideal time.

Getting the press and equipment now is I suspect ok, I don't think they are gouging too bad but I'm not certain of that.

For many years I loaded on a single stage (one at a time) RCBS Rock Chucker. Does a fine job, indestructible and a great way to learn. I still would use it for all rifle cartridges and probably 44 mag as you can individually walk each load through.

A progressive (I got a Hornady) a few years ago is like getting an AR after shooting only a single shot all your life. Once you get it set up and running correctly you'll load in an hour what took days on the single stage.

Again it's an enjoyable hobby or if things continue to circle the drain a necessity.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Unicorn Turds, I'm saving that reference for future use. Kind of rolls off the tongue.......
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

If you didn’t learn from the riots in the late 1960's, AWB in the 1990's, shortages right after 911, Obama in 2008, Obama 2012, and a guaranteed Clinton win in 2016, the Chinese virus, riots, and are still short today, that is on you.
    Me? I will let you guess.

In the likely event you missed a few of the above, understand it will happen again.

If you reload,
    1. Have 5x as many primers as you think you will ever need. They are the first to disappear.
    2. Have a variety of common powders that will allow you to load a number of different calibers. Most powders are usually available even during shortages.
    2. Have a couple years supply of bullets as they are pretty much always to be found somewhere.

If you do not reload,
    1. If ammo is available but pricey, shoot one buy two.
    2. If ammo is available and cheap, shoot one buy three.

If you shoot 22 rimfire, having a five digit supply is not out of line. Having a six digit supply might be bordering on the need for counseling.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

At current component prices for 45acp and reusing brass, my cost is ~= $165/ 1k. Last I checked that is considerably less than imported ammo. It’s an enjoyable hobby to feed the shooting addiction. I press a better, cleaner burning and more accurate round and did I say less expensive.

RELOAD 2020!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
    If you didn’t learn from the riots in the late 1960's, AWB in the 1990's, shortages right after 911, Obama in 2008, Obama 2012, and a guaranteed Clinton win in 2016, the Chinese virus, riots, and are still short today, that is on you......
    Well, I've been shooting for nearly 50 years but I never had concern about being able to get ammo, until recently. Even with the past events you noted there was always a sense it would pass and the market would return to normal. Now, with all of the truly radical and anti-constitutional politicians there is real concern. I can only hope they confirm Mrs. Amy Barrett to the Supreme Court ASAP because that could prove vital.

I think I will hold off on getting a re-loader for now.

God Bless,
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    I think I will hold off on getting a re-loader for now.
    You can buy the equipment and choose to use it later. For the price of one mid- to high-end firearm you'd be ready if the need arises.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101