Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Pistol or Laser Trainer?

I recently purchased a couple of air guns for practice. The son already has a couple of semi auto style and a pump rifle so I grabbed a Red Ryder like a grandson just got and a GAMO PR776 revolver. Just ordered a couple small steel plates from Midway on sale for like $9 with the intent on hanging them somewhere in the yard in a safe direction. I intend to make sure the whole family does some practice every day.

Ralph, I totally respect your thoughts and wanting to train the younguns on the Ruger .22 semi auto pistol and it makes sense to train and learn on a platform you will be familiar with in the future, the Ruger .22 pistols are great shooters, I've had two in the past and somehow let them both go and I wish I had them both again but so it goes.... Let us know how it works out and my hopes are that your children love the experience and become members of the "Gun Culture".....

Thanks getsome and everyone!

I actually ended up pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a Walther p22Q (newest version). I got a great price on a used one so couldn't pass it up. I decided against the Ruger LCP lite because it is such a small gun and I didn't want them to struggle with accuracy. I could have gone with a Ruger MK version but the prices were higher even for much older models.

The Walther is a DA/SA which I really didn't prefer but it will be fine for my purposes. In fact, shooting it in DA mode will be excellent trigger control practice for them. The ergonomics on those guns are phenomenal so there is no doubt the girls will enjoy shooting it. I will let you know how it goes but it may be a few weeks. I apologize for the poor image quality. It was taken with a cell phone.

God Bless,
    Ralph

Walther p22.jpg

Good choice for a trainer! I have the oldest version if the little Walther (1st year). It was my son-in-laws first gun purchase. When he was looking to sell it to fund another gun, I bought it from him. The plan is to give it back later, but it is so many folks favorite shooter on range day, so it stays for now.
    The little gun was very ammo sensitive as he bought it, but once we found a CCI ammo it liked, it ran great. After I bought the little guy I did a few clean up mods to it (safety detent, extractor “tune” and cleans a slide rub up) after which the gun would eat almost any ammo I had. When my S&W target .22 broke a firing pin during warmups for a steel plate league, my little Walther was pressed into frontline duty again. Shooting plates, indoors with CCI Mini Mags was such a hoot I used it the whole season.
    It barks LOUD with Mini Mags!
    Enjoy the shooting and know that when I have taken all my .22’s and new shooters to their first range trip, the little P22 is usually the gun that most folks are successful with. It never fails to put a smile on both our faces.

Peace
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Quote Originally Posted by Planedude View Post
    Good choice for a trainer! I have the oldest version if the little Walther (1st year). It was my son-in-laws first gun purchase. When he was looking to sell it to fund another gun, I bought it from him. The plan is to give it back later, but it is so many folks favorite shooter on range day, so it stays for now.
    The little gun was very ammo sensitive as he bought it, but once we found a CCI ammo it liked, it ran great. After I bought the little guy I did a few clean up mods to it (safety detent, extractor “tune” and cleans a slide rub up) after which the gun would eat almost any ammo I had. When my S&W target .22 broke a firing pin during warmups for a steel plate league, my little Walther was pressed into frontline duty again. Shooting plates, indoors with CCI Mini Mags was such a hoot I used it the whole season.
    It barks LOUD with Mini Mags!
    Enjoy the shooting and know that when I have taken all my .22’s and new shooters to their first range trip, the little P22 is usually the gun that most folks are successful with. It never fails to put a smile on both our faces.

Peace

Thanks for those details Planedude. Yes, I researched it quite a bit and it looks like it is going to be a phenomenal little shooter. Pretty excited about it coming in.

Ralph