CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealed Ammo Can ammo

Default Sealed Ammo Can ammo

A friend has a sealed us military metal container of 45 Acp 230 grain FMJ ammo that he will sell to me. Price is good. Likely brass casings. Would use in 1927 A1. Should I be concerned about this being corrosive to the hardware type of ammo?

Hard to say, I would think it would say corrosive or not on the container. Corrosive isn't the end of the world, just have to be very thorough when cleaning. Oil well and check often for any spots you might miss. That being said non corrosive would be way more better.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I wouldn't sweat it. I've shot a lot of old surplus ammo, and never had a problem with corrosion. Just clean your guns when you get home. I'm still burning through a bunch of .45 ACP made in 1956. The only problem I have with it is that some of it is slow to ignite. At first I thought it was my imagination, but after going back and forth between new and old, it's definitely slower. So if the ammo is REALLY old, make sure the price reflects that.

He is asking $125 for a 600 count sealed container. 45 acp 230 grain. Trusted source that he keep it in good environmental surroundings. Price sounds good. Especially nowadays.

That price is a steal.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Atteas View Post
    He is asking $125 for a 600 count sealed container. 45 acp 230 grain. Trusted source that he keep it in good environmental surroundings. Price sounds good. Especially nowadays.
    Grab that right now! If it's old enough to have corrosive primers, it probably has some collector value as an unopened can or individual boxes. That might even apply to later dated stuff.
    Shooting it: The US decided to move away from corrosive primers in 1949, but that took some years to implement. See page 6 of this document, http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf , for "safe" head stamp dates.

Also note that the document says that while there was some steel cased .45ACP was used for the 1955 National Matches, all steel cased WWII US military .45ACP used corrosive primers.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks for the information. My other concern is that it is brass and not steel casings. Will look at the exterior print for a clue.

At that price I'd buy it regardless or steel case or corrosive. If you don't let me know, I'll take it.

When I got my 1942 Colt Korean bring back it had two loaded magazines, loaded in Korea. Had the man that gave it to me leave them as is as there was quite the debate about primers going bad about that time. Took it to the range and it never missed a beat. Been awhile now so I don't recall if they seemed slower, could be but they fired and they hit. I was kind of tickled.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's a pretty good price. I'd buy it.

Back in the 90's, I shot some Salt Lake City ball ammo, dated 1964 in 7.62X51. Well, not just me but quite a few folks for a Navy Leg match. No one claimed a misfire, dud, whined about slow ignition or anything else.

If you don't want the stuff, send me a PM and I'll take them. I'll even let you keep the box!