Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filing down rear sight suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    2" high at 40 ft I'm not sure I'd even mess with it. It won't take much filing to get it back on.
    THIS.
    On a Colt Gold Cup match pistol...that kind of p.o.i. shift would require attention. On a carry gun, using practical practice protocols...I doubt I'd even notice it, or care if I did.

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    THIS.
    On a Colt Gold Cup match pistol...that kind of p.o.i. shift would require attention. On a carry gun, using practical practice protocols...I doubt I'd even notice it, or care if I did.
    Maybe so but I'm used to being precise and being able to make precise shots if necessary. Secondly, I help with Church security and there are areas 40ft and 60ft away from where I sit. Consequently, I need to be able to cover those areas in case something terrible ever went down, God forbid. I also have a family to protect. So this isn't just about personal protection or a simple desire to be able to put holes in the center of a paper target. I need to have confidence my pistol is at least capable of great accuracy. I highly doubt Jack Wilson's firearm was shooting 3in high at 50ft when he acted to protect parishioners in his Church with a single head shot at that distance. Irrespective of that, I am used to hitting where I aim and so a little tweak is at hand with my Kahr S9.

God Bless,
    Ralph

I suggest that you find a very flat surface, like a glass table top, and tape a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper to it. Place the slide of your S9 on the surface with only the rear sight on the sandpaper. Work the slide gently back and forth, keeping the slide as perpendicular to the surface as possible and not sanding the front sight at all. To drop the POI 2" at 40', you should remove about 2/100" from the rear sight. I suggest you remove just half of that and check the result at the range. Then proceed as the result indicates.
    Since you want as much accuracy as possible, I suggest you lighten the trigger also. I have had good results with MCARBO spring sets with my Kahrs and recommend them.

There is an adjustable sight for Kahrs. You can see it at: https://www.opticsplanet.com/meproli...ght-sight.html . I have one on a K9, but I am not sure I like it.

I would keep an open mind on whether a Kahr is the best choice for super accuracy at 60 feet. My opinion is that it is not. For roughly the same size for discrete church carry, I think you would do better with a Sig Sauer P365 XL, which has a better trigger, many more rounds and can have a red dot sight. I know I shoot my P365 XL better than my Kahrs. Of course, there are many more choices with slightly larger guns.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    Maybe so but I'm used to being precise and being able to make precise shots if necessary. Secondly, I help with Church security and there are areas 40ft and 60ft away from where I sit. Consequently, I need to be able to cover those areas in case something terrible ever went down, God forbid. I also have a family to protect. So this isn't just about personal protection or a simple desire to be able to put holes in the center of a paper target. I need to have confidence my pistol is at least capable of great accuracy. I highly doubt Jack Wilson's firearm was shooting 3in high at 50ft when he acted to protect parishioners in his Church with a single head shot at that distance. Irrespective of that, I am used to hitting where I aim and so a little tweak is at hand with my Kahr S9.

God Bless,
    Ralph

Without doing anything, you can still be precise, bit not accurate.

I agree with finpro that a Sig P365 XL might be a better choice for a security weapon where a longer shot and more rounds might be necessary, I believe that Jack Wilson carried a Sig 229 in .357 Sig caliber....Before doing anything to your Kahr have you tried using lighter weight bullets to see if the poi comes down? My PM9 seems to like 124 grain ammo and I have tried 115 grain loads and they hit slightly lower, 147 grain ammo sometimes won't feed as well due to longer bullets so I stick to 124 grain Sig V Crown loads.....Give lighter weight bullets a try to see if it helps and there are even lighter weight non expanding loads like the Black Hills Honey Badger rounds with 100 grain bullets you could try if you can find them....Good luck and if the lighter bullets don't work you can always go to the file.....

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    I suggest that you find a very flat surface, like a glass table top, and tape a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper to it. Place the slide of your S9 on the surface with only the rear sight on the sandpaper. Work the slide gently back and forth, keeping the slide as perpendicular to the surface as possible and not sanding the front sight at all. To drop the POI 2" at 40', you should remove about 2/100" from the rear sight. I suggest you remove just half of that and check the result at the range. Then proceed as the result indicates.
    Since you want as much accuracy as possible, I suggest you lighten the trigger also. I have had good results with MCARBO spring sets with my Kahrs and recommend them.

There is an adjustable sight for Kahrs. You can see it at: https://www.opticsplanet.com/meproli...ght-sight.html . I have one on a K9, but I am not sure I like it.

I would keep an open mind on whether a Kahr is the best choice for super accuracy at 60 feet. My opinion is that it is not. For roughly the same size for discrete church carry, I think you would do better with a Sig Sauer P365 XL, which has a better trigger, many more rounds and can have a red dot sight. I know I shoot my P365 XL better than my Kahrs. Of course, there are many more choices with slightly larger guns.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    This sanding method wouldn't effect the notch in the rear sight which would seem important.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thinking about this further, you also might consider adding a green laser to your S9's rail mount. You can adjust these independently of your iron sights and shoot without raising the pistol to your line of sight, if necessary. Green lasers, though more expensive and having shorter battery lives than red ones, can be seen better in daylight, making them more useful for your church duties. I have not used one beyond practice, but these give a lot of confidence, especially with a small pistols at longer distances. It might also have a deterrent value to convince prospective attacker(s) that you are armed, trained, and competent, and that a defensive gun use would likely end badly. Obviously, the best defensive shot is the one that you do not have to take, but which serves to end the encounter safely. Anything you can use to bring that about is worth considering. If you have never tried a laser sight, this would be a good time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    Without doing anything, you can still be precise, bit not accurate.
    379th.jpeg

My old B-52 SAC Wing.

Hello Everyone!

I have already filed the rear sight down and it turned out really well. I figured I needed about 1/64th of an inch taken off but I took off slightly less than that. I plan on testing the accuracy tomorrow, so we shall see.

In regards to firearms. I've been shooting for about 50 years and I spent about 6 months thoroughly researching ccw pistols a few years ago. I handled quite a few and have shot quite a few. To make a long story short. None of them compared to the Kahr trigger system which allows me to be very precise. I did consider the P365 but I didn't care for the trigger nor the grip. The P365 XL would most likely feel better but it doesn't meet my criteria for a ccw weapon due to size/weight.

I then discovered Kahr and the trigger was night and day superior to all the rest of the striker fired guns, IMHO. I went with the Kahr S9 and I have found it to be a phenomenal pistol and very accurate. My trigger has a 5.5# pull and is extremely smooth. There is no reason to consider a trigger kit considering that.

I consider pistol lasers to be gimmicky and in fact a dangerous hindrance. You're never going to find that tiny dot in a high pressure situation. Otherwise, you'd be much more apt in quickly getting your front sight naturally on target. The laser will also give your position away when in dim lighting. Lastly, I noted that no LE agencies utilizes them for many of the reasons I just pointed out.

In regards to ammo. I have ran 115gr FMJ and 125gr FMJ as well as hollow points. The Kahr sights are spot on but the front Trijicon sights shoot high. That was my initial experience with them and that is again confirmed this time around.

I will let y'all know how the accuracy works out tomorrow.

God Bless,
    Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph III; 10-23-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Maybe a rifle from the balcony?