Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filing down rear sight suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    Maybe a rifle from the balcony?
    Canine, if you have something productive to add that would be most appreciated. I'm obviously not going to be carrying a rifle for church security nor would I carry a rifle as a ccw weapon while out with my family. So please keep it realistic.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    Canine, if you have something productive to add that would be most appreciated. I'm obviously not going to be carrying a rifle for church security nor would I carry a rifle as a ccw weapon while out with my family. So please keep it realistic.

Thanks,
    Ralph
    I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    I apologize.
    No, problem.

Ralph

So I was able to test the sights out yesterday and they are very close to being spot on now. I think I filed down right around 1/50th of an inch on the rear sight so finpro was spot on with his calculations! I was shooting DTX 115gr FMJ. I meant to bring my pistol rest but I forgot it so I used a table and a towel for the supported shots.

*I managed a 2 3/4in grouping at 40 ft while supporting my pistol (7 rds). This grouping was slightly high but I always seem to shoot higher when using a pistol rest or support? So I consider this acceptable.

*I managed a 3 3/4in grouping at 40ft shooting freehand (13 rds). This grouping was generally bullseye centered. I had 6 rds slightly low with 4 rds in the bullseye. I had 7 rds slightly high with 1 rd in the bullseye.

I would like an honest opinion on the groupings. Do y'all consider the groupings from 40ft to be excellent, good, or sufficient results with a subcompact Kahr? I think the i-dot sights allow for a combination of speed and accuracy. They don't seem as conducive for highly consistent and precise shots though? I'm just trying to gauge my progress and expectations with this pistol. If you can get tighter groupings please tell me. If you cannot get tighter groupings then don't worry about saying so. I realize these guns are set up for speed and accuracy. I've always considered myself a very accurate shooter but I am poor with speed. The later is something that I've only just started working on this past year.

God Bless,
    Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roughly half of your shots are really good. All of your rested shots are above the target midpoint and very well centered. Your freehand target is shot lower and mostly left of center. If you are right-handed, this is a common tendency with Kahr pistols. Shooters tend to pull their POIs lower and to their weak side. (If you are not right-handed, ignore all of this.) You might practice trigger press absolutely straight back, avoiding any tendency to push the POA to the left. It helped me to have the rear of the weak hand below the rear of the trigger guard and more forward, not holding the grip hand, and turned in a way that it is holding very firmly to prevent any downward or sideways push of the pistol.
    You can buy very inexpensive sighting lasers in the form of a cartridge that can show how stable you are holding your POA. This is good, cheap practice. Regular laser sights do the same thing, of course, even if you don't want to carry with it.
    I think you should practice trigger press and weak hand grip to see if it helps. You may find that you are still shooting higher than you like and you may want to lower the POI some more.

I would say that it's sufficient for defensive purposes..................once you get more time with the trigger, it will get better. I always had the same issue with Kahr triggers. Low and left. IMHO, with Kahr triggers, you really need to be able to separate your trigger finger from anything/everything else. Like it's a separate entity. Concentrating on that seemed to help me with accuracy. I've always liked the dot sights..................................

Hello Everyone!

I was just curious to know what type of groupings you get? I wasn't looking for critique because I didn't provide details for that.

I don't have an issue with pulling shots down and to the left or any such issues. I developed exceptional trigger control at a very young age even with revolvers. So the longish Kahr trigger pull doesn't phase me. In fact, I think it helps with accuracy because my goal is to have the shot release as I am drifting back onto the bullseye in coping with natural wobble.

In regards to perceived issues......

1) At times I was aiming from the valley of the i-dot sights and at times I was aiming from the tops of the sights. I needed to see if they were close or whether one needed to be filed more than the other. The tops of the rear sight are slightly off.

2) I was changing my grip at times to see if I could create tighter groupings. At times I would put my index finger on the front of the trigger guard whereas the rest of the time I shot with my normal grip. This was simply out of curiosity with this pistol.

3) I am having an issue discerning exactly where the "dot" falls on top of the "i". So I am pressed to see whether I am slightly left/right or high/low on my sight alignment. It is somewhat blurry to me so I will be painting the rear sight a different color.

So I was trying a few things and that was causing some slight consistency issues, no biggie. Below is an image of my 14 shot grouping from 30ft. I managed a 2 1/8in grouping with Federal HST 124 grain hollow points (7rds). I managed a 2 3/4in grouping with the DTX 115 grain FMJ (7rds). Both are perfectly centered with the Federal 124gr consistently but only slightly higher than the 115gr.

Anyhow, I am just curious to know what kind of groupings you get in order to judge my progression? As it stands, I am very satisfied with the accuracy of the S9 but I know there is room for improvement. That is why I was curious to know what type of groupings you are getting?

Thanks,
    Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is not nearly that good a viable answer. I'd be tickled with consistent groups such as those.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bingo.....I'd be more than happy with that group, well within minute of thug.....

8+1 from my S9 at 20ft using Federal Eagle 124gr FMJ