Xssights   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Filing down rear sight suggestions?

For your best accuracy, I suggest you find whatever sight arrangement works best for your eyes. Some feel that the POI should be centered beneath the front dot when the front sight is level and centered with the top of the rear sight. There was formerly, and may still be, an explanation of this on the Sig Sauer website. Heckler & Koch pistols seem to use this, as well. I am not sure what Kahr says about this currently. This arrangement limits the vision of the POI as it is under the front sight. FWIW, I prefer the sights of a defensive pistol cover the least of the target, by having the POI at the top center of the front sight when centered and level with the top of the rear sight. This means ignoring the white dots during daylight. I prefer the sight picture cover less of the target with a narrower front sight and a wider rear opening and both sights tapering somewhat at their tops. I would be curious about what others think about this.
    I concur with those who said this was fine for defense. For your needs, I think you should figure out what sight picture works best for you and adjust the rear sight accordingly. Since this is a defensive pistol and you are concerned about speed, you may want to make adjustments in favor of additional speed, rather than more accuracy, which already seems more than adequate.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Finpro, in regards to the sights and sight picture. I have always had 3 dot sights with a small front sight which is conducive for precision shooting but slower with target acquisition. The ccw weapons of today have larger and pronounced front sights which is conducive for fast target acquisition but less conducive for precision shooting, especially at greater distances.

Even though I have never had i-dot sights I am really liking them on my ccw weapon. I've been practicing some rapid fire drills this past year and they work exceptionally well for that. I just need to paint the rear sight a different color so I can discern between it and the front sight. Once I get my sights set up exactly as desired then I feel the precision and consistency will only continue to improve.

God Bless,
    Ralph

I could drive myself crazy, trying to hold tight groupings at 30' with a small defensive firearm. I was fairly accurate with a Kahr and liked the sights. Personally, I am most accurate using Big Dot sights and using a"combat" sight pic, covering the target completely. I believe that this might be the hold that has been previously mentioned. That's a part of what makes shooting interesting and challenging. Technically speaking, with shooters, no two sight pics are alike due to so many variables.