Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filing down rear sight suggestions?

Default Filing down rear sight suggestions?

Can anyone give suggestions on filing down the rear sight notch? I have a Kahr S9 with bar dot sights, btw. Anyhow, I just installed a Trijicon front night sight and it causes the gun to shoot high now. Consequently, I need to file down the rear sight slightly in order to get it sighted correctly.

1) Is there a certain file I should use?
    2) Is there a certain method I should use?
    3) Otherwise, is there an adjustable rear sight for elevation available for Kahr pistols?

Thanks,
    Ralph

Any file that fits the notch will work. One that is square on the corners and preferably one not too course. I suspect the sight is relatively soft so material should come off pretty easy. An ignition file (some are rounded so won't work) or a small file with cutters on the edge. Usually one side cuts, the other is a safe or smooth edge.

Bearing in mind that you don't want to over do. You can take more off but you can't put it back. Been there a time or two.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Bawanna! Yes, I will probably take a little off and then try it out until it's where I want it.

God Bless,
    Ralph

I would take the sight off the gun, and then use a mill or bastard file. As the Colonel suggests, a little at a time. If you have a caliper or micrometer measure it first. If possible get the dimension you need beforehand, and then file to it. That way it will be a one and done affair and you can mount it on the gun immediately afterward.

edit: Just thought of something. Are you sure it's the rear sight at fault? If the front sight is wrong and you file the rear sight, only to have the lamps on the front go out later, you'd be stuck having to find another "wrong" front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I would take the sight off the gun, and then use a mill or bastard file. As the Colonel suggests, a little at a time. If you have a caliper or micrometer measure it first. If possible get the dimension you need beforehand, and then file to it. That way it will be a one and done affair and you can mount it on the gun immediately afterward.

edit: Just thought of something. Are you sure it's the rear sight at fault? If the front sight is wrong and you file the rear sight, only to have the lamps on the front go out later, you'd be stuck having to find another "wrong" front sight.
    Hey DAO. I was thinking about put a mark on the sight to know exactly how much I am taking off. A micrometer would be better though because that will give me an exact measurement in case of a mess up.

The stock Kahr sights are not the issue as they are dead on for me. The issue is with the Trijicon night sights made for the Kahr and sold on Kahr.com.

When I first got the S9 over a year ago it was dead accurate with the stock Kahr sights. After a few months I decided to add a Trijicon front night sight but kept the rear stock sight as I like the bar/dot setup. The gun shot high afterward obviously because the front sight is slightly shorter than the original Kahr stock front sight. I then decided to purchase the rear matching Trijicon night sight assuming maybe they would align correctly. However, the matching set was even worse. At that point, I shipped the Trijicon night sights back to Kahr.com and I re-installed the stock Kahr sights. The gun again was dead on.

Kahr gave me a credit, so I decided to purchase another Trijicon front night sight in hopes it would be properly aligned. Otherwise, if it again shot high I would elect to file down the rear sight slightly. Well, it's been about 9 months and I decided to finally install the new Trijicon front night sight. Precisely as before, the gun is now shooting high although it is not as bad as the first time. It's maybe 1/2 in rise for every 10 ft or so. So at 20ft I am 1 in high and at 40 ft I am 2 in high.

My S9 does not have the dove tail cut for the front sight so I have no options for night sights other than the Trijicon sold on Kahr.com. I absolutely love the gun but I would have probably gone with a P9 had I known the sight limitations.

God Bless,
    Ralph

2" high at 40 ft I'm not sure I'd even mess with it. It won't take much filing to get it back on.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    2" high at 40 ft I'm not sure I'd even mess with it. It won't take much filing to get it back on.
    Maybe so. I'd rather it be spot on as it always has been though and being comfortable with your gun setup is vital, IMHO. I practice a few rounds each outing from even greater distances finishing out at 80ft and 90ft. At that point it is four and five inches high. As you stated, it won't take much filing so that is my plan.

Ralph

Is this the old style dovetail Ralph (pre Nov. 2004)? Or the newer cut? I ask because I was able to find a set of the older style TruDot sights, but brand new sights from Meprolight in December of last year. I needed them for my Elite 2000 MK9. Of course I haven't shot it since so I can't swear to the alignment being where it should be, though it looks right on my laser bore sighter.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Is this the old style dovetail Ralph (pre Nov. 2004)? Or the newer cut? I ask because I was able to find a set of the older style TruDot sights, but brand new sights from Meprolight in December of last year. I needed them for my Elite 2000 MK9. Of course I haven't shot it since so I can't swear to the alignment being where it should be, though it looks right on my laser bore sighter.
    The S9 has the newer dovetail cut for the rear sight. The front sight just has the two pin holes of course.

Ralph

Oh, right. I was thinking CW9 for some reason. But then again I'm not sure those were out there pre-2005