Magnum Research new   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Cocking cam question.

Default Cocking cam question.

Hello all,
    I have a Pm9 that has broken 3 cocking cam springs in the past year. This is not a normal problem with Kahrs so I'm hesitant to just put a new spring in it. I've noticed that the cocking cam on my gun has a few mms of side to side play and I'm wondering if this is whats causing the springs to break. Just out of curiosity, does anyone elses cocking cam spring have a little gap between the cam and the ejector? And if you push it to the side does it move a few mms? I'd rather not send my gun in to Kahr but if it's a problem I cant fix myself then I might have to.

any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I cant figure out how to upload this image but here is what I'm talking about. That little gap is present on mine. I can push it flush with the ejector but then it will spring back to this position.

https://ibb.co/HDCk93p

Would a washer or shim of some sort stabilize it?

My PM9 has a little clearance on both sides of the cocking cam. It can be pushed to either side, but it does not just slide over and it self centers when released. Could the cover panel on the grip be loose and not holding the pivot pin over properly? I've never been into the innards as I have had no problems. I'm sure someone with some knowledge will come along soon with some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Would a washer or shim of some sort stabilize it?
    Thank you both for your input. Yeah I think a small washer on the other side would fix it. But I'm still not even sure that this is the problem, just a hunch. It makes sense though since the cocking cam spring becomes canted the larger that gap is and that could induce a shearing force on it.

What I fear is that I'll send the gun back to kahr and because its not an issue that can be immediately diagnosed, they'll just put a new cocking cam spring in it and send it back to me. I talked to one of their engineers (I think that was his title) after the 2nd cocking cam spring broke and he told me to send the gun in because this is a very rare problem. I've never heard of anyone else ever breaking this specific spring before (let alone 3 times).

I've never heard of this happening before. I don't have a good solution to offer at this point but the mind is pondering.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've never heard of this happening before. I don't have a good solution to offer at this point but the mind is pondering.
    Would love to hear "the rest of the story". He might be on his 32nd spring replacement by now...