Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Question about barrels, barrel coating (outside and inside), and the gas piston

Question Question about barrels, barrel coating (outside and inside), and the gas piston

So I just ordered my first DE in stainless and I have a couple of questions:
    1. are the gold/chrome barrels coated on the inside? I assume not.
    2. how good are the coatings on the Gold TiN and Chrome barrels?
    3. with regard to resisting damage how do the Stainless, Gold TiN, and Chrome barrels compare?
    4. does anyone make and aftermarket gas piston?

The reason I am asking is that my DE will be in 357 SS w/brake, and I also ordered a 429 SS w/brake, but I also want to get a 50ae. The problem is that I can't find the 50ae in SS w/brake but I can find it in Chrome for a decent price and TiN w/brake but they want over $600.

This last question is specifically for MrBlackCat (sp?). I believe I read a post that mentioned bad wear or loose fitting gas pistons, there is a gunsmith called Wright Armory in Nevada I think that took over for Robar doing the NP3 and NP3+ coatings. While these are not for the interior of barrels you might want to look at the coating for the gas piston; it is a VERY thin coating with built in teflon, better than Nickel Boron. I would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks, AustinTSI.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTSI View Post
    So I just ordered my first DE in stainless and I have a couple of questions:
    1. are the gold/chrome barrels coated on the inside? I assume not.
    2. how good are the coatings on the Gold TiN and Chrome barrels?
    3. with regard to resisting damage how do the Stainless, Gold TiN, and Chrome barrels compare?
    4. does anyone make and aftermarket gas piston?

The reason I am asking is that my DE will be in 357 SS w/brake, and I also ordered a 429 SS w/brake, but I also want to get a 50ae. The problem is that I can't find the 50ae in SS w/brake but I can find it in Chrome for a decent price and TiN w/brake but they want over $600.
    1. The insides are shielded from plating. (The chambers are chrome plated however)
    2. I have read of failures of coatings, but I don't know how often this occurs.
    3. I do no know about this.
    4. I have not heard of anyone making aftermarket gas pistons for sale to others.

I am surprised there is not a Stainless 50AE with brake for sale somewhere... seems like that would be a good one to have it! If you have not, I would call the service center and ask them directly about it... they can physically check inventory right there for you or tell you when they are expected to be in. They are swamped right now though, I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTSI
    This last question is specifically for MrBlackCat (sp?). I believe I read a post that mentioned bad wear or loose fitting gas pistons, there is a gunsmith called Wright Armory in Nevada I think that took over for Robar doing the NP3 and NP3+ coatings. While these are not for the interior of barrels you might want to look at the coating for the gas piston; it is a VERY thin coating with built in teflon, better than Nickel Boron. I would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks, AustinTSI.
    I have gas pistons with more than 4000 rounds fired with no function effecting wear on them. Desert Eagle gas pistons are REALLY wear resistant. I have seen examples of the stems breaking off for some reason however, but has never happened to any of mine. The problem I have experienced is with the gas cylinder being over-bored. (on new current production barrels) For this reason I have made several custom gas pistons for my own Desert Eagle barrels that were out of spec based on good functioning barrels. These were custom fit to each over bored barrel.

I also considered plating of the pistons, but decided against it... and I no longer use my own custom gas pistons... I just retired the barrels that needed them. This is because if I want to swap calibers and accidentally put an over-sized gas piston into a standard barrel, it will lodge inside the gas cylinder. This creates a potentially hazardous condition.
    If I could get someone to coat the inside of the gas cylinder of the barrel, that would work, but no one I have found will touch that for a price less than a new barrel... and several told me that it wouldn't likely work anyway as it would peel eventually, also creating a potentially hazardous condition while firing.

I hope this helps...
    MrBlackCat