Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D-Printed 380 Mag Grip Extension (Pics)

Light Bulb 3D-Printed 380 Mag Grip Extension (Pics)

I learned a lot at this forum before purchasing my first Kahr. Thank you all!

I always wanted some grip extension for my pinky on the tiny CW380. I know Pearce makes one, but I don't like its "PPK" feel. Also, I want to keep the OEM magazine floor plate for reliability. So I came with an idea to make a grip/pinky extension with minimal modification to the magazine. After a few days of tinkering, I finally came up with some satisfactory prototypes (click the thumbnails for full size):

(Matching the cheese grater patterns)

(Slide on, slide off)

(Flat vs curved in large, medium, and small sizes)

(Freestanding)

(The essence of iterative design)

(CS(Curved-small) model spray-painted with rustoleum metallic finish; my personal favorite)

I have yet to test at the range but theoretically the design doesn't change any factory mechanism. I have no interest in making money from this, but I don't want other people to take my design and sell it on eBay or Etsy. If you folks here are interested in these models, I will post a link for download instead of upload them to a 3D model repository. If you don't have a 3D printer, you can send the files to craftcloud3d.com and get a quote for someone to print and ship them to you. I welcome any comments on this. Thanks for reading!

10/25/2020 Edit: Download link for STL files. The password for the zip file is my username (MahrLalk).
    12/20/2020 Edit: Added a short flat version (FlatX) which only covers half of the magazine floor plate.
    03/21/2021 Edit: Made some minor adjustments and updated the download link.
    Last edited by MahrLalk; 03-16-2021 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Update

That looks good.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    That looks good.
    Thank you!

Impressive!
    I'm curious: What software did you use for this, and what is the output file format?
    My first career job was in the SF CAD market retailing AutoCAD Version 2.6, running on 286 machines . . .
    Back in the 70s/80s, the visionaries saw this future as an inevitability, but I hardly believed it, and I'm excited to see it coming to fruition.

Way over my head, I have no idea what you just said. I like the product results, look good.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Impressive!
    ..... running on 286 machines . . . .
    That was a while ago for sure..........
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Nice work! I really like the slide on/ slide off plate. Do you market those commercially?

Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Impressive!
    I'm curious: What software did you use for this, and what is the output file format?
    My first career job was in the SF CAD market retailing AutoCAD Version 2.6, running on 286 machines . . .
    Back in the 70s/80s, the visionaries saw this future as an inevitability, but I hardly believed it, and I'm excited to see it coming to fruition.
    I used Fusion 360 and the output file format is STL, which is standard for 3D printing. I used AutoCAD professionally before but I never liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Way over my head, I have no idea what you just said. I like the product results, look good.
    Thank you Bawanna! Have been reading a lot of your comments on various topics...

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Nice work! I really like the slide on/ slide off plate. Do you market those commercially?
    I don't, but I can offer the STL model files for free if you need. You can print the models yourself or send them to a service platform like Shapeways and 3D Hubs. I recommend using craftcloud3d.com for quotes comparison.