Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tag 3 of 3 filled

The twin to the buck pictured above showed up this morning. So now we have two very nice bucks showing up, one in the morning and the other in the evening. They are both great bucks, but the one in the picture is better antlers wise. It will be up to the wife to decide with she chooses to take. We are about putting meat in the freezer rather than antlers on the wall. The morning buck does have a couple of kickers on the left side and a little better mass.

I can't wait for Wed to get here when her season begins. I'll be "separating" the elk to put in a couple of big coolers today. Weather is warming up and we don't plan on cutting up the elk until Wed or Fri. If she gets the buck on Wed, it will be more than likely going straight into a cooler as the high temp is supposed to be in the mid-upper 50's.

So, kind of a good luck/bad luck story on my filling her buck tag. She didn't get one of the two big boys we had been seeing before her season started. Seems the rut kicked in and they were nowhere to be found. We did see one of them the morning before her hunt and felt great about it. The other one came out the evening I was skinning my elk, but we haven't seen him since.

Her hunt started this past Wed and the only thing we saw we does and fawns. Pretty much went that way for the first three days but did see a little spike yesterday. This morning, does, fawns and the spike. They left after about 30 minutes, then one of the does came back, then the spike. I was in the living room watching TV when I saw a doe scoot past the window at a pretty good pace and then stop and look behind her. Sure enough, a buck followed in short order. The wife was in her hunting stand (back deck) and noticed the activity. The buck was a good one, a four point and big bodied. My wife wasn't sure if she wanted to take him or not, and I told her to go ahead and take him. Her hunt ends tomorrow and he wasn't much smaller, body wise, than the two big guys. She shot, he took off about thirty yards and stopped, wobbled and fell. Sorry, no pics this time as she didn't want to have her picture taken for some reason (I think she is very shy to have her picture on the innerweb, or she has a warrant out on her for some reason or other?) His rack looked small on him, but a nice four point meat buck in anybody's book.

So, I hauled the buck up to the hangin' tree, hauled it up, gutted and skinned in fairly short order. Nice way to start off a beautiful Saturday morning in the Colorado mountains. Then I went inside to start cutting up the elk with my cousin who showed up to help me. Finished the elk and now I am worn out completely. Still need to package the elk up tomorrow, haul the skin and innards of the deer out to the NF land and have yet to unload the camper from the elk hunt. I'm ready for a nice, relaxing vacation so I can recover from this hunting season.

All in all, it has been a great hunting season for us. 3 out of 3 tags filled, both freezers will be topped off once all of the butchering is done, and the dog is extremely happy as he got to sample some of the scraps that he will be eating for the next year. We probably have enough scrap meat to where he could eat it in the morning and evening for the next six months, and we have even cut up the buck.

Oh, she used the Marlin .30-30 for the buck. I think I forgot to mention I used my Win Mod 70 in .270 Win on the elk.

It's always nice to have a full freezer, especially in these times. I don't blame the missus for not doing the picture thing...............don't think I would either. Just me................I can remember my ole man loving his .270 and .243. Two of his favorite rifles. Both were checkered up real nice. I've had so many deer by me this year, that a buck even went up to my tree cam and put his nose on it. Smeared the lens. It's nice that your better half hunts with you. I know that there are many female hunters, especially by me, but I don't think it's a common thing. Sounds like a hardwood cooked elk steak might be in your future.

The Model 70 (pre 64 of course) has always been my favorite rifle. I had a 243, also had a 375 H&H for a short while. I gave the 243 to a cousin as I bought it from my Uncle probably 50 years ago. It was my aunts. I also bought his Model 88 in 308. Gave that to my cousins too as one day in conversation the mentioned them. I asked if they wanted to see them. They were very young, just old enough to remember them. Felt they were more entitled to them than I.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

When I was a wee bit of a lad way back when, there were two camps when it came to hunting rifles, the .270 and the .30-06. My grandpa was in the .270 camp, thus my parents and aunt and uncle were in that camp. Out of 8 grandchildren, four of us hunt and we all use a .270.

I did have a .30-06 but gave it to my daughter and son-in-law, as it just didn't seem right to me to have one for some reason. I did give a pre-64 Mod 70 to my nephew who uses today when hunting. My dad gave it to me a number of years ago, so it was on of those firearms that have to be passed on down the line. Still trying to figure out who will get the Mod 94 in .32 Win Special. I love that rifle more than any other firearm I had before the avalanche.

My family was always 06 folks. I started out with a Winchester 94 thutty thutty, then inherited my grandfathers 1917 Enfield. Him and my dad both got one surplus probably close to free. Used the Enfield probably 95% of the time since. I had a 338 Ruger I used for just a bit before I switched to Archery for Elk. Had a Big Bore 94 375 I used when I was beating the brush for Elk. But most of the time it was the trusty ole Enfield. I now have my Grandfathers and my Dad's.
    Grandfather sporterized his, flattened the floor plate cut the barrel a bit and redid the stock. My dad just cut the stock but fortunately didn't mess with the metal at all. I tried to get it back into an original stock prior to his passing for a photo but didn't quite make it. It's now all back to original. A bit of a rough stock, always on the prowl for a nicer one but it will do just fine as is.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."