Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Spring Replace or Upgrade, CW45 , P45

Default Recoil Spring Replace or Upgrade, CW45 , P45

Seeking advice on replace or upgrade recoil spring on my CW45.

Issue FTF, predominantly slide not fully returning to battery. Leaving a difficult stuck slide which I cannot yank back, and must smack into full battery with my palm.

Seems this a is common issue, but will little info to rectify?

Cheap ammo? I'll test if I can find better ammo.

Recoil spring wearing down?

Info I have so far is CW45, P45, and K40 use the same 20lb spring. Maybe also the K9? Is this correct?

Is the Kahr OEM made by Wolff? Or is Wolff a better spring than OEM Kahr?

Glock 22 spring can be used, if trimmed to fit, Yes/No? And if so is it any better than the Wolff replacement.

Other options I have missed?

Maybe go with a 22lb spring. To reduce recoil just a bit to and improve slide return? Or, does this create a different issue with regard to standard ammo loads?

Experienced advice is greatly appreciated.

Is this a new gun or been shot a bunch?

Kahr uses Wolff springs.

My first check would be to see if the ammo is a bit long, drop a round in the barrel and see if it drops flush easily. Give it a push and tip the barrel back upside down and see if it drops out easily.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Pistol is used, but new to me. I have no idea how many shots before me.

I have a few Remington Hollow-points left, which slide in smooth, and I have to give it a bit of a shake to drop it out of the chamber.

The "re-manufactured" ammo I'm currently using (because that is what is available to me) Drops in smooth and drops out smooth.

Trying several different rounds, they all seem to go in flush. But it is possible I have a few bad rounds in my mix.

Hi Lawrence, welcome to Kahrtalk....I was also wondering if your pistol was new or used so knowing it's used with an unknown round count helps.....I think you have two issues and the first thing I would do is order a new recoil spring from Kahr, like Bawanna said Kahr uses Wolff springs so order a factory weight spring and then you will have a known starting point to work from....I wouldn't try cutting coils off Glock springs or heavy weight springs until you give factory replacement recoil springs a try first....

Second issue seems to be a tight chamber and/or unknown ammo quality.....Kahr pistols have a very tight chamber and are somewhat ammo sensitive when it comes to overall length of rounds....You need to do a super polish job on the barrel chamber and feed ramp...I have used a barrel mop from a gun cleaning kit with a good metal polish like Flitz or Mothers Mag Wheel polish and a battery drill to slick up the chamber and even the outside of the barrel, you can't hurt it and the more work you put in here will help with feeding and function.....Last thing is ammo, I don't shoot Remington Golden Sabers in my Kahr PM9 because they are a little long and have caused feeding problems, they fire fine in my Smith M&P but the PM9 works much better with shorter OAL rounds.....So I think if you will put a correct Kahr recoil spring in your CW45 and do a good fluff and buff on the chamber/feed ramp, lube it properly and shoot some good carry ammo through it I'm pretty sure your feeding problems will be solved....Good luck and let us know what happens.....

From the OP:
    "Issue FTF, predominantly slide not fully returning to battery. Leaving a difficult stuck slide which I cannot yank back, and must smack into full battery with my palm."
    Lawrence,
    A "stuck slide" sounds more like an ammo issue than a recoil spring issue. If you're bound and determined to try something with the recoil spring, in a gun you don't know anything much about ( historically speaking..previous mods, # of rounds fired, etc.) then I'd have to go long with Getsome's advice. Start with a KNOWN Kahr recoil spring.
    A little polishing is always a good idea too. That's POLISHING...and doesn't involve removing metal.
    Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Good advice. Finding quality ammo right now is iffy, and prohibitively expensive. The cheaper stuff I can find works okay in my 1911, but that's a different gun. The best ammo I have is Winchester White Box, plus some older hand-loads with lead bullets. My hand loads might be the best stuff I have right now.

I'll study up on the polishing advice. It sounds pretty straight forward as long as I gather up the right tools.

I ordered a spring to appease my comfort zone.

It will be several weeks before this is complete and tested.

Thanks.

Winchester White Box should run just fine.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Pistol is used, but new to me. I have no idea how many shots before me.

I have a few Remington Hollow-points left, which slide in smooth, and I have to give it a bit of a shake to drop it out of the chamber.

The "re-manufactured" ammo I'm currently using (because that is what is available to me) Drops in smooth and drops out smooth.

Trying several different rounds, they all seem to go in flush. But it is possible I have a few bad rounds in my mix.
    My guess is that your barrel doesn't have sufficient free bore for some bullet profiles.
    If that's the case, the bullet is engaging the rifling before the round is completely chambered. This can result in your issues: "Issue FTF, predominantly slide not fully returning to battery. Leaving a difficult stuck slide which I cannot yank back, and must smack into full battery with my palm."

The plunk test will usually detect this condition, but as you mention ("...slide in smooth, and I have to give it a bit of a shake to drop it out of the chamber."), there can be some rounds that will pass this test, but could still benefit from more free bore.

Here are some photos of my P45:
    In this photo, the round on the left side of the insert photo is in the barrel. It was gently dropped into the barrel, notice that it sits proud of the barrel hood. It can be forced in further, but would be difficult to remove. This type bullet profile is what most often caused issues in my Kahr 45s (mostly making the slide hard to retract with un-fired rounds)
    Also see this post: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...818#post220818

In this photo, the other round (230gr Golden Sabre) drops in flush with barrel hood and is easily removed from the barrel

I see the following as options to remedy this:
    1. Switch to an ammo that seats flush when you drop it into the chamber and operates correctly.
    2. Send it into Kahr for remedy
    3. Have a local gunsmith ream the barrel to increase the free bore.

Any competent smith can put in more free bore. It's even possible as DIY (I did mine) with the appropriate reamer and associated tools/skills.

Let me add one more option here:
    Contact forum member DougGuy. He does this type of work and is aware of the issue with Kahr barrels:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...660#post406660
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...217#post358217
    https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Spot on as usual Greg.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Replace ALL the springs. Cheap insurance and helps get a good nites sleep knowing they have been replaced. Purchase a couple extra recoil and slide stop. You may have to cut coils on the recoil so a spare is good.