Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My CW380 is a source of frustration

Things like keeping the extractor channel clean, dry, and clear of debris, polishing the feed ramp and chamber entrance, checking extractor tension. and checking mag spring tension are not a secret sauce.

Doing these things can impact reliability. To each his/her own.

Most of the 380s that have issues come that way from the factory so it’s not at all about the owner performing proper maintenance.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I guess I have been lucky. One CW380 and two P380s and a PM9. They all run perfectly. When I got them I followed the Prep of a new Kahr from the new member forum. I also checked extractor tension. Should someone have to do this with a new gun? I don't think so, but it worked and I like playing with guns and understanding the internals so it was fine by me.

Should a new pistol owner have to disassemble the striker and extractor assemblies to make sure their gun will be reliable? Kahr doesn’t think so. In fact doing that may void your warranty.

From the Kahr manual:

DISMANTLING & REASSEMBLY
    BEFORE DISMANTLING OR CLEANING THE KAHR PISTOL, BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED (Follow the unloading instructions on page 17).
    For normal cleaning, the KAHR Pistol should only be dismantled into its main components:
    • Slide
    • Barrel
    • Recoil Spring with Recoil Spring Guide • Frame
    • Magazine
    DO NOT DISMANTLE THE PISTOL FURTHER THAN THE MAIN COMPONENTS DESCRIBED ABOVE (except Magazine). To do so may create an unsafe condition and affect the pistol’s Warranty.
    For maintaining and cleaning the KAHR Pistol, use only high quality, commercially available cleaning equipment, solvents and lubricants.

That's all lawyer talk and common across the board of manufacturers. It's like fine print, gives them an out is something does blow up because it was assembled incorrectly or for whatever other reason they can dream up. Insurance usually follows the same guide lines. "Oh unfortunately your not covered as the incident occurred before 11 am on a Thursday"...
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Maybe so but any gun from the factory that has striker channel and extractor issues is a gun that never should have left the factory.

Thanks for the advice and the picture. I did just that. What a pain in the ass. The open end wanted to sneak around the washer. I managed, after much profanity, to get it compressed. Now I wait.

I hope this does the trick. I do love everything about my CW380 except for the fact it isn't reliable.

EDIT---I let the spring compress since 11/11/2020. I got it installed this morning and now I have the pistol assembled and the slide is locked back. I've disassembled both magazines and cleaned them, even though they were pretty clean. I plan to shoot it next Friday, and I'll be honest, if this doesn't do the trick, I think I'm done with this little pistol.
    Last edited by MMyers1970; 11-13-2020 at 09:07 AM.