Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Used P380 with just over 1k rounds still good to go?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    87

    Default Used P380 with just over 1k rounds still good to go?

    Hi folks, may be a silly question but Iím interested in a used P380 with just over 1k rounds in it. Still good to go? Not worried about the Kahrís reliability but the .380 as a whole, they can be finicky small guns. Aside from that he said it looks near new, still waiting for pics.

    Iím sure itís not an issue but wanted to doublecheck here with everyoneís share of knowledge. Thanks for your help, take care!

    P.S. - Truglo TFX Pros or Tritium Pros for my PM9? I would love the TFXís but if I can save $50 and the Tritium Pros are solid, I have a choice to make. Leaning towards TFXís but wanted input. Thanks again
    Last edited by rms2324; 11-13-2020 at 12:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,099

    Default

    Hello rms2324 welcome to the forum....If you want the P380 and the price is right then go for it, The P380 is a nice little pistol and with 1k rounds it should be broken in and good to go....As for the .380 round for self defense well it's much better than nothing but since you have a PM9 it will be a better choice for carry....I have a PM9 that came with Trijicons and I really like that they are low mount and snag free since I pocket carry....All you really need is a bright front sight to focus on because in a SHTF situation you won't even be looking at sights but at the threat trying to kill you and you need to find a good front sight picture if possible but most likely you will be point shooting so get whatever night sight you like but practice point shooting at the range finding the front sight but looking through it to the center mass of the threat target...
    The Federal Government can not give anyone a single penny that it has not taken away from someone elseÖ.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Metro-Atlanta
    Posts
    78

    Default

    "Early" P380's had some issues, but they were pretty well ironed out by serial number RD#### which was about 2013.

    As documented in many posts here, Kahr 380's have had an unfortunate history of broken strikers. My P380 broke two (out of three) strikers before I replaced the Kahr striker with one from Lakeline. I have never heard of a broken Lakeline striker. I would not carry a P380 with a Kahr striker for SD; JMO and YMMV.

    As also documented here, a few Kahr 380's are "problem children" for no apparent specific reason.

    Other than the issue of broken strikers, I am very happy with my P380. After break-in, it has functioned flawlessly. I have never tried aluminum or steel cased ammo, but mine eats any and all brass cased ammo. Again JMO and YMMV, but I think a lot of "Kahr 380" issues are really "grip" issues. Kahr 380's are small pistols with stiff springs and "limp wristing" can cause problems.

    A 380 (any brand) is not my preference for SD, but I can conceal a P380 when the uniform of the day is shorts and sandals.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linthead View Post
    "Early" P380's had some issues, but they were pretty well ironed out by serial number RD#### which was about 2013.

    As documented in many posts here, Kahr 380's have had an unfortunate history of broken strikers. My P380 broke two (out of three) strikers before I replaced the Kahr striker with one from Lakeline. I have never heard of a broken Lakeline striker. I would not carry a P380 with a Kahr striker for SD; JMO and YMMV.

    As also documented here, a few Kahr 380's are "problem children" for no apparent specific reason.

    Other than the issue of broken strikers, I am very happy with my P380. After break-in, it has functioned flawlessly. I have never tried aluminum or steel cased ammo, but mine eats any and all brass cased ammo. Again JMO and YMMV, but I think a lot of "Kahr 380" issues are really "grip" issues. Kahr 380's are small pistols with stiff springs and "limp wristing" can cause problems.

    A 380 (any brand) is not my preference for SD, but I can conceal a P380 when the uniform of the day is shorts and sandals.
    thank you both for the detailed replies, very thought out. And I 100% agree with the limp wristing. I bet you <60% of all Kahr issues could be fixed with a better grip.

    Right now Iíll wait for the pics, see how it looks, check out the internals, etc. I really want to buy it but now that I have the PM9, I can literally carry that anywhere! Decisions, decisions... lol.

    Again thank you all for having me, this is a treasure trove of info on Kahrís

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Here is my thought, save your money and take a pass on it. Do you own another 380? Do you have 380 ammo or can you locate any? You have a PM9 so why do you feel the need for a weaker more expensive round. 380 ammo is about the same cost as 45.

    Yes I purchased my P380 before my PM9. In retrospect if I had the PM9 first I wouldnít have purchased the 380.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    I would be leery of buying a used Kahr unless I trusted the sellers word regarding reliability.

    muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Here is my thought, save your money and take a pass on it. Do you own another 380? Do you have 380 ammo or can you locate any? You have a PM9 so why do you feel the need for a weaker more expensive round. 380 ammo is about the same cost as 45.

    Yes I purchased my P380 before my PM9. In retrospect if I had the PM9 first I wouldnít have purchased the 380.
    This makes sense. Iím 6í3Ē, 265 so the PM9 already is invisible. The ONLY reason Iíd get one is to have a Kahr 380, thatís it. Having the PM9, itíd make the P380 somewhat obsolete if I can carry my PM9 anywhere and everywhere. I think Iíll pass for the time being unless the price is unbeatable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I bought 2 PM9's used. They both cleaned up nicely.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wally1 View Post
    I bought 2 PM9's used. They both cleaned up nicely.
    So did I! My PM9 I have right now was used. Granted it wasnít even broken in but still used. No issues at all

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    87

    Default

    well looks to be in great condition, first range trip on it was 7/2018. Itís an REXXXX serial so hopefully okay. Not a single scratch on it.

    WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT!!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop