Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights

Thread: CT380 feeding issues - what's the deal?

Default CT380 feeding issues - what's the deal?

I'm honestly puzzled by the feeding habits of my CT380.

It feeds S&B ball ammo and Remington Golden Sabers just fine. Never a hiccup.

My handloads, on the other hand, about 30% FTF although with some assistance they chamber and shoot fine. The handloads all pass the plunk and spin tests, so the OAL isn't too long. If anything they're a bit loose in the chamber.

So why do such a large percentage get caught up loading (never nose down, always nose up)?

I have seen threads and videos on polishing the extractor, removing a bit from the extractor claw, shortening the extractor spring plunger, and shortening the extractor spring.

What is going on exactly?

Otherwise a lovely little gun and accurate as all git out!

Fiocchi ball ammo doesn't work well in the 380s because the cartridge rim is thicker and the Kahr extractor is often very tight hence all the videos/threads regarding the extractor. For example, shortening the rear plunger will decrease extractor tension making it easier for the cartridge to slide under the claw. I'd check to see how the cartridge slides up under the extractor and of course compare your handloads.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    Fiocchi ball ammo doesn't work well in the 380s because the cartridge rim is thicker and the Kahr extractor is often very tight hence all the videos/threads regarding the extractor. For example, shortening the rear plunger will decrease extractor tension making it easier for the cartridge to slide under the claw. I'd check to see how the cartridge slides up under the extractor and of course compare your handloads.
    Yes, I probably need to check which brands/headstamps are hanging up. As long as I'm carrying Golden Saber it's perfectly reliable (and was also with Critical Defense when I had some of that).

I will also try snipping a little off the extractor plunger spring and see if that doesn't have an effect.

I was amazed how much gunk I pulled out of the extractor and firing pin channels, but I don't believe that was a contributory factor.

I would probably shorten the plunger just a tad with a file rather than snip the spring. You can take a smaller step at a time.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I would probably shorten the plunger just a tad with a file rather than snip the spring. You can take a smaller step at a time.
    Drat, just ordered two springs to play with, but not an extra plunger.

Make sure there is a radius/bevel on the leading edge of the extractor claw. Polish the breach face. Make sure the recoil springs are not tooo long. 1/2 coil can make or brake it.

The 380 has such a short slide stroke and if for any reason the slide doesn’t fully cycle to the rear it won’t pickup the next round.

In this thread I compared the extractor chain of a circa 2015 P380 to a 2020 P380. It shows the rear pin is much shorter now than it was back in the early days. BTW.. My striker is still intact after several hundred rounds.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ain-Old-vs-New
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Mine shoots everything except WWB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Armybrat; 11-15-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling