Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights

Thread: PM9 loose slide to frame fit, rattle and all that. Appease my worries

Default PM9 loose slide to frame fit, rattle and all that. Appease my worries

Howdy, so my PM9 has a fairly loose slide to frame fit. Probably 400 rounds through it. It’s near identical to that fella with the K9 on YouTube if you’ve seen it. Found the video https://youtu.be/JPtBdGoEEfU

Should I be worried? I’ve always heard of Kahrs tight tolerances and with a K9 getting here tomorrow, I’m worried. My other pistols are rock solid. Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by rms2324; 11-29-2020 at 09:28 PM.

That’s normal. Load it and chamber a round and I bet your rattle will disappear.

My PM9 with 1k or so rounds is tight as it can be, no movement or rattle at all....Question is how does it shoot? If it hasn't lost any accuracy or reliability I wouldn't worry about it but if it bothers you then send it back to Kahr and let them decide if anything needs to be addressed...It's possible the slide might be out of spec and could be replaced under warranty and at worst you won't have your pistol for a few weeks but you will know for sure if it's a real problem or not....If you decide to send it back call Kahr and request a shipping label and let them take care of the shipping for you....Good luck and let us know how it turns out....
    Last edited by getsome; 11-29-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Can't speel

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    That’s normal. Load it and chamber a round and I bet your rattle will disappear.
    Yup forgot to mention, rattle goes away with a loaded mag. Still slight side to side movement but not nearly as much. Idk, I shouldn’t worry but being a premium gun, I’d assume it’d be tighter
    Last edited by rms2324; 11-29-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    My PM9 with 1k or so rounds is tight as it can be, no movement or rattle at all....Question is how does it shoot? If it hasn't lost any accuracy or reliability I wouldn't worry about it but if it bothers you then send it back to Kahr and let them decide if anything needs to be addressed...It's possible the slide might be out of spec and could be replaced under warranty and at worst you won't have your pistol for a few weeks but you will know for sure if it's a real problem or not....If you decide to send it back call Kahr and request a shipping label and let them take care of the shipping for you....Good luck and let us know how it turns out....
    If I did call, what would I say to get the shipping paid for? It just seems like that’s not something they’d pay to send back to them

I'd email and describe in detail what you think the issue is. Let them decide if they need to see it. They may offer to pick up the shipping, if not ask if they will provide a shipping label.
    If not you may find that your local gun shop, especially if you have one you visit regular can ship it to Kahr cheaper than you can yourself. Downfall to that is it will be shipped back to the same shop and you'll have to wait for them to let you know it's back.
    Shouldn't be any transfer fee or anything involved.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd email and describe in detail what you think the issue is. Let them decide if they need to see it. They may offer to pick up the shipping, if not ask if they will provide a shipping label.
    If not you may find that your local gun shop, especially if you have one you visit regular can ship it to Kahr cheaper than you can yourself. Downfall to that is it will be shipped back to the same shop and you'll have to wait for them to let you know it's back.
    Shouldn't be any transfer fee or anything involved.
    I emailed on Thursday, didn’t expect a reply until this week so I’ll lyk what they say. I don’t think it’s important but my frame is shaving a good bit as well.

Also, good news is it’s not unsupported slide due to rails. According to this, to test it, you pinch the slide and dust cover together and if the slide isn’t able to move, it’s unsupported. Mine moves back easily so thankfully it’s not due to unsupported rails.

Also, I should clarify, the side to side is only at the muzzle. At the rear, it’s not side to side but the sides move up and down hitting the frame while the center stays, well, centered.

Worn out? Or not broken in?

Quote Originally Posted by rms2324 View Post
    Yup forgot to mention, rattle goes away with a loaded mag. Still slight side to side movement but not nearly as much. Idk, I shouldn’t worry but being a premium gun, I’d assume it’d be tighter
    Everybody's opinion of "premium" is slightly different.

It's the same with my K9 and T40. No issues that I've seen. The tightest slide to frame fit I've ever seen was on a Colt Gold Cup. When in battery, viewing the firearm by the FPS, the slide and frame looked like one piece. When it was dirty, I could feel the slide rubbing on the frame in between shots (slower return to battery too). It was, however, a rental gun.