Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fyi

I've heard that the word Subaru is Japanese for Pleiades.

RIP General Yeager.
    Awesome American with balls bigger than church bells.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Just heard about his passing....Had to be one of the bravest man to have ever lived to strap himself in an unproven rocket plane and having the stones to hit the red button anyway to see what happened.....God Speed General Yeager....

Yeah. General Yeager was a real hero. I cried several times. I know he was not doing well, but it was still so sad.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

We live in southern Colorado away from any city lights at 9100 feet, so seeing the stars clearly has become common place for us. We had one of our grandkids with us a few years back and I took him outside on a moonless night and told him to close his eyes for about a minute. He had thought I had lost my mind but did it anyway. I told him to look up into the sky and he was amazed. I asked him if he knew what what he was looking at and he replied, "A cloud?" It was the Milky Way. He had heard of it but had never been able to see it.

So sad when kids never get the chance to see the stars like we get to see them when the skies are clear. I sure hope they will be come the 21st of Dec!

Saw the International Space Station come over Atlanta last night at 8:35 pm.....TV weather man gave the time to look for it and sure enough it was plainly visible and right on time, NASA is never late......It looks like a large, very bright star that is moving fast, it went horizon to horizon NW to SE in less than a minute....Pretty cool

Years ago we saw the Space Shuttle making its approach to the Space Station...... two bright stars zipping across the sky.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Years ago we saw the Space Shuttle making its approach to the Space Station...... two bright stars zipping across the sky.
    My Dad just passed, day before Thanksgiving. He was hired by NACA (morphed into NASA) as an aeronautical engineer, and one of his last projects prior to retirement was the first space shuttle. I was excited to visit the wind tunnel where they were refining some of the re-entry stuff, anticipating seeing a full scale model in one of the giant tunnels, and was taken aback when he walked me over to a cozy, hall-shaped room with a small, ~foot-long shuttle model mounted at an angle on a skewer - barely room for the two of us. I was impressed that the engineers could scale the data up that much. I thought all these years that he was part of the team developing the heat dispersion re-entry tiles, but my brother told me recently that he was working on the wing leading edge. Regardless, pretty cool.

speaking of the "Shuttle", I had the privilege of being asked to participate in the "recovery mission" of the late STS-107 (Columbia) in Feb. 2003. I had (RIP Jeff) a close surveyor buddy that lived in Nacogdoches County (Texas) about 50 miles South of me to call just a few hours after the crash and asked what we could do to help. The local university "gis department" had already paired up with the county emergency management director to work out an initial plan, so we were at the daylight meeting the next morning to offer assistance. Within 24 hours, we carved our own niche in the program and developed a means to set up a search control system to assist the search teams in being able to officially clear areas without rambling all over the countryside. In about 10 days, and seeing many hundreds of thousands of fragments of the spacecraft (anywhere from thumb nail size to 6 feet long panels .... and intact fuel cells - still spewing) while ground marking (flagging/painting) over 40 one kilometer square blocks. We obviously had some nasty weather as well as rough terrain to work with. We did have as many as 20 other surveyors that volunteered to help us anywhere from 1 day to as many as 5 days ... Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and as far away as Indiana. I've never worked with a group of people (several hundred involved in the local area search - including county, state and federal agencies) that were as dedicated to reverently and efficiently taking on the challenges of a mission such as that.

As an aside, my buddy, Jeff, and I jokingly came up with a moniker for our little "department" ..... "Fast Action Response Team" .... we soon became affectionately dubbed "the FARTS) lol

That's a close as I ever got to a Space Shuttle. All I could think of back then was the terrible loss of lives, and do still to this day.

sorry for the ramble .... I do that ...

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

That was a sad day indeed. Props to all of you on the recovery effort.

We hadn’t been back to NASA hq in almost 40 years, so when our English visitor expressed a desire to go tour the place last year we jumped right on it.

Awesome place if any of you have never been there....
    -Rudyard Kipling