Xssights   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing rust on K9? None yet but want to stay ahead + holster options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Preventing rust on K9? None yet but want to stay ahead + holster options

Hi folks, K9 is at Kahr but I’ve been reading and I’ve seen in a number of threads about K9 rust. Should I be worried? Always wipe my guns down with oil, etc etc but beyond that, is there anything else I can do to prevent rust? Not a humid climate but will be carrying IWB.

Next was holsters, I’ve had good luck with the Vedder Lighttuck before. Carried a Glock 19 all the time which is 3-4 ounces heavier loaded than a K9, worked great with a good belt. Wanted recommendations

As always, thank you

I use Eezox on all of my guns to keep the rust at bay. Eezox is a dry lube that also offers excellent rust protection. Makes the gun easier to clean to boot. The 4 oz. can will last a few years.
    https://www.eezox.com/
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Be sure to never clean your SS firearms with anything that's steel or been used to clean steel. Never use steel wool (duh) or any brushes or polishing rags that have been used on steel. The micro particles of steel that adhere to those items will embed in/on the stainless and it's typically those deposits that rust. ONLY use SS or non metallic brushes on SS, never steel wire brushes. Not all stainless grades are impervious to rust but I'm not sure what grade Kahr uses.

I use Renissance Wax on my SS firearms to keep crap at bay.

Cosmoline is your friend. Apply librally.

Are you sure we don't need an oil thread?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Canine Dave View Post
    Are you sure we don't need an oil thread?
    Go ahead, I dare you. But you're asking for it!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Oh why not, lube war threads are almost as much fun as caliber war fights....Everybody has a cleaning/lube product they think is the best but truth is it's not so much what you use but that you use it regularly and even if you haven't fired the weapon it's good to run a patch down the bore once a month or so if only for peace of mind.....

Just for BassCliff (Welcome to Kahrtalk by the way) here are the best gun cleaning products you can use because they are what I use....Bore cleaner, always Hoppe's cause it works and smells good...Lube, Slip 2000 because it works and well it's the best and it's what I use and for small internal parts I use a light penetrating spray lube and a fantastic over all wipe down product to prevent rust called MAXFILM Synthetic Penetrating Lubricant made by Royal Purple, goes on wet and dries to a protective dry finish and it smells good and guns love it....Get you some at Amazon...

If you haven't been there and want to know anything and everything you could possibly ever want to know related to motor oil, lubricants, grease, oil and air filters and God forbid, motor oil additives go over to this site, bobistheoilguy.com it's a great place to spend a hour or two at and has very good information about automobile motor oils and such but if you think we get into caliber wars over here, those guys are serious about brands and are ready to duke it out over which oil and filter is the best.......enjoy

Should you worry? Idunno - do you live near saltwater?

Neither my E-nickel, nor my stainless K9 have ever shown any rust - except on the grip screws. I don't live near saltwater, but I do sweat a lot. Why Kahr doesn't do better with those grip screws is a mystery to me, but it is a minor issue.

Funny, the MK9 my coworkers recovered from the bottom of Puget Sound after more than a month after being dropped by a deputy who dropped it and it's holster over the side while crabbing suffered no rust at all. It did apparently mess up the polygonal rifling, it wouldn't hit a paper plate at 3 yards. Replaced the barrel and it's a tack driver.

It did go from salt water directly into a bucket of oil where it stayed until we took it apart and cleaned it all up. Sent to Kahr for a check up and replaced all the springs in the gun. Still going strong. Heard the detective who ended up with it recently sold it so my grip model is gone.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have magical military grade corrosive sweat. I can wipe down stainless guns daily and still find little freckles of rust after a day of IWB carry.

I really don’t care. It’s just part of life.

But, I once found rust in the muzzle end of the barrel of my K9. Though I wiped off and lightly oiled the outside, I neglected the bore (other than routine cleaning). I would have thought sine there was nothing wearing the oil off, it would stay protected.

I was on vacation in Gulf Shores when I noticed it. An impromptu P cord pull through and some 3 in 1 oil I picked up at a hardware store solved the problem.