Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing rust on K9? None yet but want to stay ahead + holster options

I believe we have a budding oil thread here, just in time for the New Year! Great!

That said (I still love saying "that said"!) I would never use anything on my guns that I wouldn't use on my wristwatch, like 3-in-1. The makers of 3-in-1 advise against using it on anything except lawn mower wheels. I think I saw that on the internet.

I maintain that oil is basically oil, that being said (I don't get to use that often neither) I DO NOT use WD40 on anything I want to move for any extended period of time. Door hinges, perhaps lawn mower wheels or to get tar off your hands but never guns.
    I also never ever and I mean never use Frog Lube. Prefer super glue to that stuff.

The main thing for me is regularly clean and re oil.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I agree. Regular maintenance with a good oil, as needed. But also as importantly, in the case of anyone whose body chemistry is hard on guns, perhaps a different choice of holsters, to keep the gun from coming into contact with the body or clothing. For instance, N8Tactical (Now owned by Crossbreed), uses an impermeable liner between the suede that goes against your body and the leather that goes against the gun. Sweat cannot wick through and no part of the gun ever touches your clothing or your body. Well there are exceptions, according to the holster style you buy from them. Some have a combat cut that does allow the grip to make contact.

I do the usual...............clean and re oil. I use grease on my rails.........................................I've been using Renaissance Wax now for a while on my SP101. About once every 3 weeks , I go over it again with the wax. So far, it's keeping everything at bay. Rust, fingerprints, etc. A little goes along way. A very good protectant for reasonable $$$$$$$$$.

WD-40 was not designed to lube anything..... Not even hinges. It is a penetrant designed to break frozen parts loose and it evaporates off of surfaces too quickly to be a lubricant. Try 3 in one on those hinges but grease would be better.

WD 40 was designed to remove water and moisture from automobile distributors, the WD stands for Water Displacement...WD 40 is such an outdated product I can’t believe it still sells but it does but should never be used on a firearm because over time after it dries it turns to gum and it would be much better to get some oil off your car dipstick than to use WD 40...There are many high quality synthetic lubricants designed for firearms that do the job so pick one and use it BUT don’t mix products as some don’t play well together at all....I found out by accident that CLP and Remoil when mixed turns to goo and I totally locked up a Smith 686 revolver mixing those two products which required removal of the side plate and a complete cleaning to get it unlocked....By themselves either product is ok, not great but if you mix them together you get glue...

WD40 was developed for the original Atlas ICBM program. So, the stuff is more "rocket lube" than "gun oil". I agree, it will dry funny on a gun after some months, but here is a cute story line on WD40's history...

"...John S. Barry, the man "who masterminded the spread of WD-40," as The New York Times puts it, has died at age 84. The product he promoted is more popular than an iPod.

WD-40 can be found in 4 out of 5 American households, the company claims. Its ingredients are a secret, and it has generated its share of myths and strange applications over the years.
    Barry didn't invent the stuff. "Norm Larsen, founder of Rocket Chemical Company, is considered the original founder of WD-40," according to wd40.com.
    Larsen aimed to develop a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry. He succeeded at the goal, Water Displacement, on the 40th attempt, hence the name.
    "Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion," according to the web site.

A few years later the company made an aerosol spray version and the rest, as they say, is history.

WD-40 does not contain fish oil, contrary to a popular myth, nor does it contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

And WD-40 won't cure arthritis, despite another odd myth (Windex, however, cures everything, if you believe the Dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding").

It has been put to these uses, the company says: A bus driver in Asia used WD-40 to remove a python, which had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus; police officers used WD-40 to remove a naked burglar trapped in an air conditioning vent.

The product has never needed a Billy Mays; as the ShamWow guy might say, WD-40 sells itself. I'll certainly vouch for it, having once owned a '56 Ford pickup and later a '66 Mustang, neither of which could not be worked on without a squirt here and there to loosen rusty old nuts and screws.
    The company also says it'll remove gum. I have an 8-year-old, and a pair of reading glasses sitting in the back seat of the car, on which to test that later today..."

We have a "throwback Thursday" story each week on the Lockheed web site and I was reminded of that funny bit of Convair history right before this years Christmas break started.

Soooo... if you need to keep your Atlas wet, lubed and ready in your favorite silo, use WD40. If the subbie you keep in your pants keeps rusting, use a different product. 😉

peace

I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

That's quite interesting, I did have an uncle who swore that WD40 sprayed on his knees helped his arthritis but I'm pretty sure it was that quart of Jim Beam he kept out in his work shed that did the trick.....
    Last edited by getsome; 01-01-2021 at 11:37 PM.

I know a lot of guys spray WD on their bait to catch trout and such.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've done/tried it myself. Not too many times, but it did work on occasion. It didn't seem to work spraying it on live bait, but on lures. Large mouth bass and Northern. Sometimes it works. Or was it the lure/bait I was using???? Just like any of the gazzillion gadgets out there. If you use them enough, they'll usually work at least once. Maybe. It can mess up a lure also.............................................. ..............