Xssights   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CW9 Broken sight/Kahr service is great!

Same exact thing happened to me with my brand new CW9 the first time shooting it. It wasn’t a holster problem. The front sight just flew off from recoil shooting the second magazine. Kahr sent a replacement right out and I epoxied it on and no more problems. Seems like a common problem with them. Should have asked for an upgrade.

Red face

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    What holster is that she’s wearing? I like the inside belt - outside waistband idea but never have been able to get it to work for me.
    I got us a couple of Alien Gear holsters to start with. Hers is IWB (Cloak Tuck) and mine is OWB (Cloak Belt). We'll use them as long as we like them. I'm thinking of getting an IWB if I get my CCW. We've just been practicing with them at the range since neither one of us can carry legally yet.

This is mine:

It doesn't seem to print, much. It's a really thin shirt.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Gebe View Post
    Same exact thing happened to me with my brand new CW9 the first time shooting it. It wasn’t a holster problem. The front sight just flew off from recoil shooting the second magazine. Kahr sent a replacement right out and I epoxied it on and no more problems. Seems like a common problem with them. Should have asked for an upgrade.
    It's taken a little longer than I expected to receive the replacement. Both the upgraded sight and the replacement should be here Wednesday. I have some red Permatex ready to make sure the new sight stays put. I hope Mrs. BassCliff likes the fiber optic sight.

BassCliff

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Lovely wife, lucky guy. My wife of 53 years doesn't like guns and has never fired one.
    Oh well, at least she tolerates my hobby. She didn’t even mind when I took our visiting English lady friend to the local range.
    Thank you! Mrs. BassCliff just surprised me one day and said, "The world is getting too crazy. I'd like to get a gun and learn how to defend our home." I started buying pistols two weeks later. Now all three of us have a pistol, myself, wife, daughter. Mrs. BassCliff isn't really into "the gun thing" as in a hobby or avocation. She just wants one for self defense. I'd still like to add a couple more pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun to our little armory.

BassCliff

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    My wife of 44 years doesn't care for guns or the shooting sports much either....Last year before the China virus happened we went as a family to the local range on the weekend so my oldest son could shoot and sight in his AR 15 and I brought a bunch of target pistols to shoot and when my wife's turn to shoot came up I gave her my Smith 586 revolver loaded with .38 powder puff loads to see what she could do thinking, this is going to be funny, well it wasn't funny when she started drilling the target at 20 foot or so.....I decided right then and there to double down on securing that gun thinking maybe just in case I should happen to come in late some night with no excuse I might be safer.....Lesson here fellows is, maybe it's not a really good idea to teach them to shoot, if you know what I mean....
    Mrs. BassCliff is as good a marksman as I am but needs more practice on the procedures and mechanics. She does keep her CW9 on the nightstand with a couple of loaded mags. I tend to come home a lot more sober these days.

BassCliff
    Last edited by BassCliff; 01-07-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Talking

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    My best girl guarding the armory.

Precious! Our youngest daughter (21) is still at home. We will get her pistol out of "gun jail" on Friday. Then I'll take her to the range with it ASAP.

BassCliff

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    And my trophy wife in the back yard.

Excellent! You are blessed with a beautiful wife. I'm hoping to get Mrs. BassCliff interested in long guns too.

BassCliff

Thumbs up New Sight Day!

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Gebe View Post
    I just wanted to bring my little story full circle. Kahr was kind enough to send a stock sight replacement under warranty plus I ordered one of their Dawson fiber optic sights for this pistol. We'll blame the long shipping time on the covid complications and extra holiday shipping traffic. They arrived this past Wednesday and I got busy gunsmithing again.

This is where I started. Mrs. BassCliff's brand new CW9, which I promptly took apart, cleaned, installed a Wolff trigger spring and an MCARBO stainless steel striker spring guide to replace the plastic part.

After Mrs. BassCliff's first day at the range, she didn't eve let me shoot it, the stock sigh was broken off. I think she knocked it off with her holster. It was her first time using a holster.

Oh boy! I'm ready to fix stuff! The new stock sight is there on the left. I'll keep it for a spare just in case. Instead of epoxy I went with the suggested red thread locker. The upgraded fiber optic sight came with a spreader punch tool. Cool.

I put a drop in each hole and coated the underside of the sight, placed it, and admired it while I let it dry for a while.

Ooooo! Ain't it purdy? I love how the fiber picks up the light and makes the dot glow. Since I didn't have a vice I used a couple of pieces of wood to support the base of the sight and not put any pressure on the top of the sight while I used the spreader punch. These are a couple of paint stirrer sticks from Home Depot, good straight edges and just the right height.

Then I just inserted the "crooked" spreader punch thorough the muzzle opening, then around the other side for the rear post, and gave the bottom of the posts a few good taps. It doesn't take a lot.

What? Only eight pictures per post? I'll be back to finish up this job.

BassCliff

Hi,

To continue:

I inspected all around the sight to make sure it was seated securely. You don't want any space between the slide and the sight. Otherwise you'd have to carefully tap the top of the sight to make it flush.

Here's the side view. Looks good!

And the front view. I'm ready to reassemble this pistol.

I went to a neutral colored wall to check out the new sight picture.

Even with the indoor lighting the red fiber dot shows up. Cool.

Let's take a little closer look at the new sight picture.

And there you have it. When Mrs. BassCliff practiced her sight picture she was really impressed. I can't wait to get out to the range for some live fire practice. Maybe she'll let me shoot it this time.

My thanks to Julia at Kahr for combining the order so it didn't cost me anything for shipping, just for the new sight. Now I have an extra stock sight too, just in case.

BassCliff

Awesome. Thanks for the update. That sight looks great; I've been considering one for my CW40. Most of my other pistols have red fiber optic front sights, with the exception of my Glock which has green. Like the sight picture a lot, thanks for the photos!